BAIC I need your help. College.

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2008, 06:26 PM

Car Info: 06 CGM PDM
I'm currently in the same situation. My current major is Chemical Engineering, however the classes that I have right now are actually a breeze, and are just general education. I shouldn't be wasting my time taking general education, since I have a high-unit major. However, I've been contemplating whether or not I actually want to be a chemical engineer and I'd be interested and not be miserable if I became one. With many nights of thinking, I could never admit to myself that I wanted to be a chemical engineer although the thought of it was kool. So I've just changed my major to psychology.

The big question would be if you really want to be what your major is. If not, it's going to be 100x harder than if you wanted to be it.
Old 11-10-2008, 06:34 PM

Car Info: 2005 STi Silver
I think being around so many pre-meds and also just people who don't have a clue on what they want to do in college since I'm a senior in college I can give my 2 cents. First off, being pre-med is very competitive as you know. The thing is, if you want to succeed, and if you're not a genius, you basically have to give up everything in order to get in. If you can give up your social life, your car, tv/video games, sports, or whatever else, you CAN do it. This takes a lot of self control that most cannot deal with. Not only do you have to study your *** off but you also have to do extracurricular like research, volunteer, leadership role, and other clubs. If you have the stats..above 3.8 GPA, above 35 Mcats, and all that other jazz, it's very possible. But since you say you the classes aren't for you, I think you should look for something else.

One thing to remember though..that I've realized is, any of the good professions, the respected highly paid ones WILL take hard work. Whatever you choose, it probably won't be easy at a college level. I felt that if I shortchange myself, I'd regret it because anything I choose, it's still going to be hard..it's still school.

Question for you though...why is the science classes hard/rough? If you're biological parents have a PhD AND an MD, you must have some pretty good genes. If you are mentally capable, but haven't fulfilled you potential, you SHOULD try. You HAVe to study 2 weeks ahead for exams, you can't just study the night before and expect to get a good score. I believe most people...if you can get into college, you have the potential to do well, you just need to TRY...try hard. It's tough as hell to put on hold your fun that you can have now for the life you want later.

Here's a few ideas - what about pharmacy? They get pretty good salaries and is not as competitive as medical school. Although the work can get a little boring, I know people are very happy with that career. I don't suggest you get into research - all that grant bs and frustration is not worth it unless you really have a passion for it.

Just remember, whatever you do won't be a walk in the park..unless you just want to get a undergraduate degree and make 50-70k. If you want more out of life and your education, you're going to have to get something more than a bachelors and that will require some work.

Good luck in whatever you do.
Old 11-10-2008, 06:58 PM

Car Info: wrx02
Why do you want to be MD? If that's your love, you should just drop everything and put 100% effort into it. Don't give it up if you have love for it.
But if you are coming to more realistic sense of what you want and realizing that's not what you want - then, this is a perfect time for you to explore other options. Sounds like you are still in early stage in your college life. So, these questions and thinkings are very healthy?
Old 11-10-2008, 07:13 PM

Car Info: 04 STi
Originally Posted by STi-owns-evo

Also, don't think everyone is meant for a 4-year college. There are plenty of people who never went to a "normal" college, who are living fulfilling lives.
Amen - school is not for everyone.
Old 11-10-2008, 10:19 PM

Car Info: GT35R, Meth
Originally Posted by RPMuted
I'm currently in the same situation. My current major is Chemical Engineering, however the classes that I have right now are actually a breeze, and are just general education. I shouldn't be wasting my time taking general education, since I have a high-unit major. However, I've been contemplating whether or not I actually want to be a chemical engineer and I'd be interested and not be miserable if I became one. With many nights of thinking, I could never admit to myself that I wanted to be a chemical engineer although the thought of it was kool. So I've just changed my major to psychology.

The big question would be if you really want to be what your major is. If not, it's going to be 100x harder than if you wanted to be it.

Here's the thing though, if you are Chem E. you don't have to work in that field.

Having an engineering degree means you can get into a top b school or law school much easier than if you had a nontechnical degree, ESPECIALLY here in the silicon valley.

In fact with an engineering degree, provided you are involved in business and plan out your internships to be relevant, you can pretty much do any job a business major would do PLUS you've got your engineering job options. Basically it is a superior choice provided you plan things out ahead of time.
Old 11-10-2008, 10:22 PM

Car Info: '02 WRX wagon
I know I have it in me to continue bio, but I don't know if I have it in me to do well and succeed in bio, and to make myself competitive. I feel if I have even a sliver of doubt in me, I shouldn't put all my eggs in the basket. Yes, I'm still young in my college career, and I haven't given other majors much thought yet. I'll just have to move on from here, and keep an open mind. Plus, like you guys mentioned almost 80% of the people don't even have a job related to their major. Thanks everyone!
Old 11-10-2008, 10:24 PM

Originally Posted by STi-owns-evo
Also, don't think everyone is meant for a 4-year college. There are plenty of people who never went to a "normal" college, who are living fulfilling lives.

Best advice in this thread right here, I'd say far better than mine.

Let's not forget journeyman electricians make $40/hour and painters, plumbers and other contracters can do six figures. Of course not having health insurance and retirement benefits will be a consideration
Old 11-10-2008, 10:25 PM

Originally Posted by BoxerRumble

Here's a few ideas - what about pharmacy? They get pretty good salaries and is not as competitive as medical school. Although the work can get a little boring, I know people are very happy with that career. I don't suggest you get into research - all that grant bs and frustration is not worth it unless you really have a passion for it.

You're right! I forget about pharmacy school and I'd like to add nursing school - both are very good paying jobs for pre-med students who don't go to med school
Old 11-10-2008, 10:43 PM

Car Info: rsti
well you said you sucked at all these classes, but what are your studying habits to begin with, you prolly don't spend adequate amount of time studying even if you say you do.
I went through the same **** going thru nursing school and i had to "live in a cave" 99% of the time, almost no time for my old project L and had to get rid of it (it was the saddest day of my life).
But thing is I got better grades, I just had to make a decision to sacrifice my social life for a little while then after I graduate I can go out do whatever.
Old 11-10-2008, 10:44 PM

also, if you do choose to be in the nursing field. I am always glad to tutor/help out fellow nursing students.
Old 11-10-2008, 10:59 PM

god ****ign damn it, im getting second thoughts about leaving bio. this thread isn't even 12 hours old, and i'm swaying back.

i haven't put in the effort needed to get an A. i'm going to give it one last shot, and i'm gonna give it my all. and if i don't do well, i'll know that i gave it my best shot and i'll move on from there, i still have plenty of time.
Old 11-10-2008, 11:05 PM

yeah good luck with your studies!!!
don't spend too much time on your car unless it's winter/summer break --> dont make the same mistake I did, I almost failed, well not really but you know what I mean.
Old 11-10-2008, 11:43 PM

^haha yeah man, thanks for the advice. poor suby :/

Its things like this why I'm still with i-club and love the subaru community. even if i got problems or questions outside of subarus, i can come here and get plenty of input and advice. thanks a lot guys, i really appreciate it.

Last edited by pwnx0rz; 11-10-2008 at 11:48 PM.
Old 11-11-2008, 12:17 AM

Car Info: Some sort of Subaru
Everyone is giving good advice. I graduated from UCD back in June, so let me tell you: the general classes were boring (except for modern physics). Classes can get more interesting once you completed your lower division classes. From my experience, you have to trudge through the boring stuff to get to the fun. As others have said, find out what interests you and go from there. Also, if you plan to eventually transfer to a UC school, think about doing research.
Old 11-11-2008, 01:43 AM

Car Info: wrx02
Originally Posted by pwnx0rz
god ****ign damn it, im getting second thoughts about leaving bio. this thread isn't even 12 hours old, and i'm swaying back.

i haven't put in the effort needed to get an A. i'm going to give it one last shot, and i'm gonna give it my all. and if i don't do well, i'll know that i gave it my best shot and i'll move on from there, i still have plenty of time.
If not too sure. Just finish up your bachelor in biology. It will open doors to many profession while giving you better perceptions and more time to think about what you really want to do.

Originally Posted by nuclearfiziks
also, if you do choose to be in the nursing field. I am always glad to tutor/help out fellow nursing students.
I used to do graphic designs. I realized it wasn't for me and didn't make #$@#. So, went back to school and got BSN (nursing). I don't regret a bit. Very awarding profession for both females and males. Also, job security is great. Even with this bad economics, I'm constantly getting offer (even beggings) to work more. Depending on where you work (hospital or units), your hourly rate can be range from $45 to $70 with benefits.

As for me, I prefer ICU or trauma unit. It keeps me going (learning and challenge). It never gets boring when you are exposed to treat patient with fresh motor vehicle accidents, gun shots, septic shocks, heart attacks, fresh post operation, and so on. Later the down the road with more experience on your belt, you could even go back to school for something more advance. Such as CRNA (anethetist) or if you want more excitement, you could take it up on the sky to be helicopter rescue RN.

Just a thought for you.

Quick Reply: BAIC I need your help. College.