BAIC BBQ/Softball Game Summer 08

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2008, 08:10 AM

Car Info: 06 Impreza
Originally Posted by 03_Impreza_Al
How bout we play some basketball yahh....

Wrx vs stis lets do it...
lets just play Baseketball....i want bbq and beer
Old 05-22-2008, 12:48 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: psm.03.wrx.wgn
I just talked to the Hayward parks & rec dept. Unfortunately, they do NOT have the fields at Oliver Sports Complex available for regular public use. From early spring to fall, they have games during the week on evenings and tourneys on weekends.

But I still wanna get this going for a couple wknds from now (Sun, June 8th).

We just have to nail down a spot. This is where y'all come in. Since I now live in Vallejo and have lived in San Jose for a while before that, I am not really familiar with neighborhoods and parks, for that matter, in Hayward or the Tri-Cities area. I've been looking at online maps & whatnot, but that only provides a general idea of a few things, i.e. number of ballfields, other sports fields/courts, parking, & proximity to freeway.

Does anyone have a really good park in these parts to recommend for this BBQ & game?

For the Hayward area, I've been using this form as a guide as it has the parks w/ number & types of fields listed...
http://www.haywardrec.org/forms/Fiel...cationForm.pdf.
Then, I'd use google maps to look at its ease of access (nearby highways, major streets, etc.).

So considering we want a place with more than one SOFTBALL field, here's our list:

1. Centennial Park
2. Bret Harte Park
3. San Lorenzo Park
4. Sorensdale Park
5. Bidwell Park

There are a couple other spots w/ 2 fields listed but I didn't find 'em on the maps.

Check 'em out, and tell me what y'all think. Or for those in the know, how are these parks? Does they have BBQ grills/picnic tables?

Also, are we gonna bring our own grill? What's y'all have in mind for that?

Much mahalos!
Old 05-22-2008, 01:04 PM
General Pimpin'

Car Info: MY04 aspen wrx wagon.
Need a spot where you can bring a keg in. If you're gonna do slosh ball you set it up where if you strike out everyone else on your team drinks a beer.

Keg is cheaper than buying cases of beer and it tastes better.

Depending on final info I might be in on this.

15th is father's day weekend and the weekend of my anniversary. No go on that weekend for me.
Old 05-22-2008, 04:30 PM

There's a big field over on Ardenwood on the newark/fremont border.
Old 05-22-2008, 04:38 PM

Car Info: www.pinoymamba.tumblr.com
I don't touch lolo's cough syrup... =(
Old 05-22-2008, 05:10 PM

Car Info: Toyota
Ray's idea sounds good,
I am down for a bbq/kegger
Old 05-22-2008, 05:12 PM

Car Info: *WiDe AnD LoW*
Originally Posted by 03_Impreza_Al
I don't touch lolo's cough syrup... =(
Old 05-22-2008, 05:27 PM

Car Info: amber lamps/fire engine/06 STi
Stenzel Park in San Learndro?

Stenzel Park is an important neighborhood park located on Wicks Boulevard at Elvina Drive. Over the years, four regulation ball fields have been developed here for organized baseball league play. There are also four barbecue pits, six picnic tables, a half court basketball court, restrooms and a concession booth.

For more information, call (510) 577-3462.

Old 05-22-2008, 05:29 PM

Car Info: amber lamps/fire engine/06 STi
also check out http://www.alamedababeruth.com/fields.htm that link. a lot of good information on fields in alameda county
Old 05-22-2008, 09:52 PM
VIP Member

So the consensus seems to be that we're cool with a Sunday, so I'm hoping for Sun the 8th. Next choice would be the 22nd or 29th, as some folks have Pops' Day stuff.

Whether we go insane w/ a keg or just contribute a 12'er here & there, it looks like we've gotta get a permit to have booze (per park/city regulations). We don't wanna worry about the fuzz, do we?

Thanks for more suggestions on spots. But does anyone have personal experience at any of these? Do we know for sure that these spots have picnic tables, BBQ grills, at least 2 fields, adequate parking, fairly safe neighborhood?

(FYI: MrMakesItRain-- According to google maps, Stenzel only has 2 fields... 1 baseball diamond & 1 for softball. Looks like a good spot though. Much mahalos.)

Since I've got afternoon classes in Hayward on Tues, I'm gonna try to head out that way early & check out some of the spots in the area.
Old 05-22-2008, 09:57 PM

right on for doin all the calling boardoholic...you seem to know the area better than I do. let me know if there is anything i can do to help
Old 05-23-2008, 10:20 AM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by so steezy
right on for doin all the calling boardoholic...you seem to know the area better than I do. let me know if there is anything i can do to help
no prob, bruddah. i ain't trying to take charge or nuthin'. i just wanted to keep the ball rollin', ya know? anyway, the one call only took a few minutes. the rooting around online for info on the parks in places I ain't too familiar with, now that's a different story.

i just did a bit more huntin' & found that Milpitas parks MAY NOT require a permit to have booze. i'll find out for sure b/c Cardoza Park wouldn't be a bad spot. i've played there for league games on Fri nites a while back. it's got tons of parking, technically only ONE field (but right next to school w/ add'l fields/courts), multiple BBQ pits & picnic tables. i'm heading to the south bay sometime this wknd, so i'll peep it out myself, too.

as far as anything to do to help, just making sure we don't let this idea/plan die b/c this should be a lotta fun!

also, i know someone mentioned it, but...
We're not gonna have a problem getting a couple dozen folks together to field TWO teams, right?
i doubt it, esp. w/ beer in the equation.
Old 05-28-2008, 09:45 AM
VIP Member

update!

So I made a couple more calls yesterday to get clarification on a few things. Hayward area parks do NOT allow alcohol whatsoever in their parks. Milpitas, on the other hand, allows it ONLY in the picnic areas of their parks (except the one it shares w/ an elementary school). I didn't bother checking the policy for the Tri-Cities area since I'm already pretty familiar w/ the two Milpitas parks anyway.

Over the wknd, I actually swung by real quick to get re-acquainted w/ the actual set-up at Cardoza & Gill parks. Either one should be good, but I'm kinda leaning toward Cardoza even if Gill is a bit nicer. Cardoza park has tons of parking (133 spots in 2 lots) & lots of BBQ/picnic areas (8 pits, 19 tables). The main picnic spot is only a stone's "toss" to the 3rd base side dugout. I initially thought the park was next to a school, but it's actually the Milpitas Sports Center. Gill park has one parking lot w/ 20 spaces & lots of street parking available (we'd just have to park away fr: foul ball danger). It also has a small number of BBQ/picnic areas (4 pits, 8 tables). Its only advantage over Cardoza is the basketball court & tennis courts, if we were so inclined to play either of those.

So w/ each park only having one field... just to be safe, we should reserve it. For Milpitas residents, it's $4/hr. I'm willing to pay the $8 for the couple hrs we'd use it, but I need to find a Milpitas resident to do this for us. Do we have a volunteer? I wouldn't want for us to pay the $20/hr non-res. fee.

Or... anyone know a city park in any other area that has at least a couple fields AND allows alcohol in their parks?
Old 05-28-2008, 10:44 AM

does it have to be a MILIPITAS resident. I have family that live just outside of milipitas but not in the actual city of milipitas
Old 05-28-2008, 11:15 AM

Car Info: 14 Mazda3 sGT, SOLD 12/26: 00 2.5RS Sedan
If it's in San Leandro, I'm down.

Quick Reply: BAIC BBQ/Softball Game Summer 08