Car Info: Blown Transmissions
There you go
Old 06-13-2008, 07:34 PM

Car Info: 05 WRB STi
i live in Vallejo but if i must drive there i will
Old 06-13-2008, 07:39 PM
General Pimpin'

Car Info: MY04 aspen wrx wagon.
His fault. Should be your choice on body shop. Request a different body shop.
Old 06-13-2008, 07:44 PM

Car Info: 04 Forester XT/96 Brighton Project
Don't give into the insurance company dude. Fight it for OEM. Just about everytime aftermarket **** doesn't fit correctly. They should do OEM, but like most insurance companies they're trying to save a few bucks anywhere possible.
Old 06-13-2008, 08:23 PM

Car Info: nothing
Originally Posted by lanz0r
OEM isn't cheaper lol

really? So when my friends STI got hit on the bumper and he offered the insurance company the oem one b/c it was 100 dollar cheaper so he ended up getting it... hmmmm
Old 06-13-2008, 08:33 PM

Car Info: 04 Forester XT/96 Brighton Project
Generally OEM isn't cheaper. It may have been a special case that the insurance company may have a good connection with local dealers, may have been able to give a better jobber price, etc. All really depends on alot of variables I guess.
Old 06-13-2008, 09:20 PM

Car Info: 2005 WRX
That's whack if they're refusing to not replace your bumper or parts in general with OEM stuff. Its your choice NOT theirs....they messed your car up and they are expected to pay whatever the original part that was on there cost, end of story. Good Luck bro, fight it until the end.
Old 06-13-2008, 09:23 PM

Car Info: 2011 WRX hatch gray
OEM is almost always like 2x the price. That's why insurance hates to do it.

In my case, a (F^&*ing) thief broke into my car and stole stuff so I needed the passenger window repaired. My insurance and the shop attempted to use aftermarket first, but I did have a choice. The insurance agent even told me that if I demanded OEM, I could get OEM.

I went aftermarket because the shop had the aftermarket in stock, and the OEM would take a week to come. A week without a window (and parking your car all day in the open parking lot at work) is a LONG TIME so I went with aftermarket, which they said "is just as good".

When the glass came, it was indeed of good quality... but bad fit. It seems that the 06/07 models are slightly different than the 02-05 models, even though supposedly the glass is the same. I had tons of wind noise. After several complaints and them sending people out to readjust, the tech manager told his boss that they'd have to get OEM glass... even though that meant they'd eat the cost of the aftermarket one (or inventory till someone needed it).

OEM is a guaranteed fit.

Contact his insurance again and maybe you'll get a different agent who can push it through for you. Be polite and tell them that you don't trust anything but OEM.
Old 06-13-2008, 09:43 PM

Car Info: WRX --> RX-8--〉E93
Originally Posted by lanz0r
OEM isn't cheaper lol
OEM body parts are cheaper at most of the time. they will replace it not with a brand NEW bumper, instead call refinished bumper. which means just get a total suby that the bumper part wasnt damaged and put it on your car. and painted if needed.

oem is much cheaper. for insurance when they get the refinished parts.

if is brand new then it cost alot.
Old 06-14-2008, 01:03 AM

Car Info: 13 Taco Double Cab 4x4/ 71 Datsun 510
Originally Posted by gotrice?
i live in Vallejo but if i must drive there i will
It'll be worth it. Yeaman Auto Body gets all suby/oem parts from Carlsen Subaru in Redwood City.

Last edited by Ballz; 06-14-2008 at 01:13 AM.
Old 06-14-2008, 01:06 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: '13 BRZ Limited / '02 WRX
Here's what I would tell the insurance company.

It was an OEM bumper that their client broke, its an OWM bumper they are going to be replacing it with.
Old 06-14-2008, 04:20 AM
BAM9 Ladies choice Carshow winner

Car Info: 13 FR-S/05 STI
didn't you say your back and neck hurts? you should get that checked out and see the chiropractor.

Other than that, I would get your car quoted somewhere else. You don't need to go to the shops they provided you. you can pick your own shop.

Which means, the "quality" and right "product" you want. . .
Old 06-14-2008, 05:18 AM

Car Info: Blown Transmissions
Originally Posted by STI RUSH
didn't you say your back and neck hurts? you should get that checked out and see the chiropractor.
Haha yeah get a nice check for pain and suffering from the insurance company
Old 06-14-2008, 06:28 AM

Car Info: 2021 Ascent
read the disclosures sent by the guy's insurance policy and read yours too... on several companies' repair work disclosure (including but not limited to 21st century and statefarm) the components used to replaced irrepairable parts shall be for the most part aftermarket, unless otherwise noted.

my advice is to read that hand out as by now you should've received and see for the legalities before you rush off into court and stuff.

my other advice is since you're NOT at fault. find a shop that you know and can trust that would take care of your car right and have them fix your car. Thankfully here in Cali, you have the right to choose where to get your car repaired and are NOT limited to what the insurance company limits you to (with certain restrictions of course). Mind I suggest Angel Auto Body and Paint in Milpitas if you're ever in the area. lols.
Old 06-14-2008, 06:50 AM

Car Info: Nadda
^ Agreed, have some real shop take care of it and let their dumb *** appraisers try to talk 'em down (probably wont happen). Car will be taken care of GOOD (i had to go back to the stupid company 4 times to get some fix to my radiator hose) and it'll be done right.

Quick Reply: Bad things happen to good people??