Your wife is my girlfriend.
:rotfl:

That won't work. Good one though.
Old 09-01-2005, 06:46 PM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: A Laptop
Originally Posted by MARKSTI
What ever happened to ED..??

It seems like he hasn't been around much.....

I'm still here

I've been very busy lately with work, finding a new car, moving into a house, etc, so I've been spending less time on the forums. I still lurk once in a while and try to answere any technical questions I can.

To address the original question in this thread, I've had 8 years of experience as a software engineer and am currently finishing up a bachelors in computer science. EFI research and tuning has been a hobby of mine for the past 4 years and is now slowly becoming a career.

While I agree that a techincal background may give a bit of an advantage to a brand new tuner, I also believe that such an advantage can be made up with experience, talent, and will. A techincal mindset (weather from background, recent experience, or pure talent), however, is a very important quality in any tuner.

As far as the secondary (maybe primary now?) discussion about the validity of this thread, its my opinion that while a tuner's background may be be irrelevant to their current tuning skill and product, the information may be interesting for atleast some people, so why not provide it? I personally have nothing to hide and don't think that a non-techincal background is something to be ashamed of, especially if the current product is good. That's just my opinion, however, and I certainly see how such a discussion COULD turn sour, especially with a croud that likes drama

Thanks
Old 09-01-2005, 10:06 PM

Car Info: 04 Forester XT/96 Brighton Project
Originally Posted by EricDaRed81
ahhh shhiiiiiat he had to go and pull a "Wayne Brady" and choke a b1tch
Old 09-01-2005, 11:09 PM

Car Info: 03 MBP WRX
Originally Posted by verc
What kind of background do various tuners have?

One criticism the Japanese seem to have of US tuners is that they are mechanics who lack real understanding and learn tuning based on experience. It would seem though that some tuners do have technical backgrounds. I was curious (if anyone knows) as to what the backgrounds are?
What really matters is the quality of the product the tuners produce. If their customers are satisfied with their tuning ability, who cares what people that don't have any direct experience with them think.
Old 09-02-2005, 10:36 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 08 sti
you go to a tuner because of his past experience tuning cars..

not his prior careers...

and who the **** gives a **** what the **** think.. i would rather have a mechanic with 4 years of tuning tune my **** then some former softeware puke who was a cobol god..

this is a pretty dumb thread IMO
Old 09-02-2005, 10:37 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 08 sti
oh and one more thing..

tuners sell nothing more then peace of mind...
Old 09-02-2005, 01:56 PM

Car Info: 02 STi
Originally Posted by dr3d1zzl3
you go to a tuner because of his past experience tuning cars..

not his prior careers...

and who the **** gives a **** what the **** think.. i would rather have a mechanic with 4 years of tuning tune my **** then some former softeware puke who was a cobol god..

this is a pretty dumb thread IMO
lol

just my opinion!!!

-freddie
Old 09-03-2005, 03:02 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2018 Golf R Variant
Originally Posted by EQ Tuning
As far as the secondary (maybe primary now?) discussion about the validity of this thread, its my opinion that while a tuner's background may be be irrelevant to their current tuning skill and product, the information may be interesting for atleast some people, so why not provide it? I personally have nothing to hide and don't think that a non-techincal background is something to be ashamed of, especially if the current product is good. That's just my opinion, however, and I certainly see how such a discussion COULD turn sour, especially with a croud that likes drama

Thanks
I agree. This is what I saw in the question. I look up to tuners and Dynocologists and find it interesting to know how they got there - like, what led them to the career and what opportunities did it take to get there, etc. I remember reading Shiv's articles for years in SCC, so I was interested to meet him. Whateva.
Old 09-03-2005, 03:10 PM

Car Info: '03 WRX wagon, faster than walkin'
Please let this thread die.....It is not productive, nobody has gotten laid yet.
Old 09-04-2005, 02:15 PM
Ash

Car Info: 02 WRX wgn full STI swap
How about something civilized like starting a poll thread to see if we'd like Imprezer to ask each tuner who advertises here to provide thier backround in the vendor forum for thier bennefit. Then we'd be accurate and informed. Not that it matters nearly as much as the reputation they earn with local customers.

Just a thought,

Ash
Old 09-04-2005, 02:58 PM

Car Info: 02 Impreza WRX sedan
Origami posted by Ash
How about something civilized like starting a poll thread to see if we'd like Imprezer to ask each tuner who advertises here to provide thier backround in the vendor forum for thier bennefit.
Any of the tuners may post their background bio info in their respective vendor forums at any time. They pay an additional fee for those forums so I don't think Alex would be inclined to ask them what to post there.

--
0==WW==0
"…axles of evil…" - george w. bush
Old 09-04-2005, 03:57 PM

Car Info: Twin WRX Turbo VR-4
Originally Posted by krzyxrevver12
i used to tune the air/fuel on my nitro r/c cars..
I used to tune my go-ped too I fouled a lot of plugs though