Background of various tuners in bay area

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2005, 12:25 PM

Car Info: GT35R, Meth
Originally Posted by 02BlackWRX
Funny...I questioned you about Bill and you took him out...but you took Ed Vaus out also.

Just curious...why?
Well it's pretty impartial as it is now.
Old 09-01-2005, 12:25 PM
I <3 White Girls

Car Info: E92 M3, E70, F32, E21
the post is a little better now

god luck getting the tuners to respond though...I probably wouldn't if I was a tuner, but then again thats just me.
Old 09-01-2005, 12:33 PM
Token Toyota Mod

Car Info: Something german
Originally Posted by gilmore25
Ya Ed hasn't blown anything up yet!!
werd.

I have yet to make something go boom!

:banana:
Old 09-01-2005, 12:42 PM
Dirty Redhead

Car Info: 05 WRX Wagon (Crystal Gray)
Old 09-01-2005, 01:00 PM

Car Info: 2003 WRX Wgn
^^^^^I spit hot fire!!!!!!!!!!^^^^^^
Old 09-01-2005, 02:19 PM

Car Info: 05 WRX Wagon and 08 Civic Si
why is the tuners background a concern? if he knows how to tune he will have a reputation for making power with no problems. its not always the tuners fault when things blow up also, if the driver is abusive he can blow up the motor and it has nothing to do with the tuning besides the rev limit may have been too high for a nimrod driver.
becareful who you blame when you engine blows because if you hear detonation you should be smart enough to back off the throttle and get back to your tuner with your problem. but a nimrod would still try to win the race and blow the motor and blame the tuner.
Old 09-01-2005, 02:31 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: looking for a gc
i used to tune the air/fuel on my nitro r/c cars..
Old 09-01-2005, 02:37 PM

Car Info: GDA
Originally Posted by 02BlackWRX
the post is a little better now

god luck getting the tuners to respond though...I probably wouldn't if I was a tuner, but then again thats just me.
I see your point, Zoeb, but I think this is a good thread with a good idea and a benevolent intention. There is no malice here that I can discern.

This thread raises a VERY VALID question -- what are the qualifications of the tuners in the area? I did a lot of reading here and on NASIOC when I looked at the engine management aspect of modding and the information on both boards are either contradictory or are mostly anecdotal -- "the car feels great blah blah..."

I'm not expecting this post to be about self-marketing/self-aggrandizing and I can see that if this thread turns sour, it could be messy. Instead of asking the tuners to chime in, maybe we can ask some objective questions like technical/educational background as well as input from WRX/STi owners. Add dyno graphs of cars tuned by each individual tuners as well as relevant engine parameters and let the public decide.

In a best case scenario, this thread could be a depot of information for those looking to do EM as their next/first mod.
Old 09-01-2005, 03:04 PM
Dirty Redhead

Originally Posted by doughboy
I see your point, Zoeb, but I think this is a good thread with a good idea and a benevolent intention. There is no malice here that I can discern.
So if you can't see it, then it's not there?

This thread raises a VERY VALID question -- what are the qualifications of the tuners in the area? I did a lot of reading here and on NASIOC when I looked at the engine management aspect of modding and the information on both boards are either contradictory or are mostly anecdotal -- "the car feels great blah blah..."
Qualifications are shown by how previous customers experiences have been with thier tunes. It has nothing to do with what they did before that. If someone was a nerf herder before they tuned and now they can tune a subaru better than anyone ever has then whats the point?

I'm not expecting this post to be about self-marketing/self-aggrandizing and I can see that if this thread turns sour, it could be messy. Instead of asking the tuners to chime in, maybe we can ask some objective questions like technical/educational background as well as input from WRX/STi owners. Add dyno graphs of cars tuned by each individual tuners as well as relevant engine parameters and let the public decide.
So you want to start analyzing dyno graphs (from different dyno's), tune parameters (which you would have to be a experienced tuner to really understand). All that would do is confuse about 99% of the "public."

In a best case scenario, this thread could be a depot of information for those looking to do EM as their next/first mod.
The best case senario is when people choose a tuner by how happy thier customers have been with the tune. It shouldn't take a tuner to decide which tuner to use.

Last edited by EricDaRed81; 09-01-2005 at 03:09 PM.
Old 09-01-2005, 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by EricDaRed81
So if you can't see it, then it's not there?
You're putting words in my mouth. It was merely a statement to qualify Zoeb's observation...nothing more nothing less. Why get all bent out of shape?

Qualifications are shown by how previous customers experiences have been with thier tunes. It has nothing to do with what they did before that. If someone was a nerf herder before they tuned and now they can tune a subaru better than anyone ever has then whats the point?
I think the thread owner just wants to know, like SOME OF US, what the various backgrounds are. Note the "some of us" phrasing...if it doens't apply to you, it doesn't make it wrong or illogical to ask. That's like saying, "I'm sure there are many healers/doctors out there who can cure you without AMA certification, but that's besides the point b/c it shouldn't matter where they've been and what they've learned as long as they can treat the ailment."

So you want to start analyzing dyno graphs (from different dyno's), tune parameters (which you would have to be a experienced tuner to really understand). All that would do is confuse about 99% of the "public."
Are you saying that by bringing it to a tuner that Subaru owners are too dumb to look at the data and figure it out for themselves? We're not saying that that Subaru owners can replicate the tune or even understand it, but when was the last time that no information was better than information?

The best case senario is when people choose a tuner by how happy thier customers have been with the tune. It shouldn't take a tuner to decide which tuner to use.
I agree with you to an extent. This level of information has been published in the past...as you can see by doing a search on both forums. It's always nice to read about how happy the owner is of the tune and that information is available. I'm asking for more than the impression.

Again, let me make it clear that I'm not picking a fight...I'm just saying that different people have different ways of making a decision. What might seem illogical/irrelevant to you might not be for an information gatherer/analyst. I'm always a proponent of publishing information, especially b/c of the plethora of options that exist for tuning in our area. I'm not asking that tuners chime in to argue that they're the better one...far from that. I'm proposing that information be divulged by car owners who had their car tuned so that others may learn from their experience.

edit: This will be my last post for this thread. I am not taking sides...I just support more information so people can make an informed decision. Whether they can use/analyze that kind of info/data isn't the issue.

Last edited by doughboy; 09-01-2005 at 03:47 PM.
Old 09-01-2005, 03:52 PM
Dirty Redhead

I'm not bent out of shape first off. I don't think anyone could say anything on any forum that would actually make me mad.

Getting the backgrounds of the tuners is irrelevant no matter which way you look at it. It's what they do now that matters not where they came from.

The publishing of information about the tunes (graphs and such) also have nothing to do with the backgrounds of the tuners. This thread was pointless right from the start.

No fight has been picked because to fight over anything on a forum is just pathetic.
Old 09-01-2005, 03:58 PM
Dirty Redhead

Oh yeah doughboy.

I don't hate, I appreciate. Even if it's a different opinion
Old 09-01-2005, 04:04 PM

Oh yeah doughboy.

I don't hate, I appreciate. Even if it's a different opinion
LOL.
Old 09-01-2005, 04:05 PM
Dirty Redhead

edit: This will be my last post for this thread.
Liar!!!!!!!!!

Old 09-01-2005, 04:08 PM
I <3 White Girls

Car Info: E92 M3, E70, F32, E21
I'm not bent out of shape first off. I don't think anyone could say anything on any forum that would actually make me mad.

No fight has been picked because to fight over anything on a forum is just pathetic.
Your wife is my girlfriend.

Quick Reply: Background of various tuners in bay area