AUDT: I-Club Track Day?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2008, 07:56 PM

Car Info: 1999 RS Coupé- 1995 Mazda Miata -KTM 300
cant go wrong with Miata people, if you ever get in an arguement, you can say " well you drive a miata" and they will crawl into their trunks lol

<---------
Old 02-12-2008, 07:59 PM
Chicks dig me. April Fool's!

Car Info: 1997 Impreza, 2014 BRZ
Well, you drive a Miata.
Old 02-12-2008, 08:29 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: this required information?
Hey MtnCRUZr, your line is a bit off. You need to raise it.

Dark, I would probably just recommend Thunderhill. Laguna and Sears are fabulous tracks, however they tend to be pretty costly. Probably because of there "international" status when compared to Thunderhill.

As far as which organizer to go with, it pretty much depends on cost and the date of the event. I would try to stay away from NASA simply because NASA weekends are combined Race and HPDE which means they are incredibly crowded. A "club" track day like this needs to have room so all the clubbies can park near each other. Only way you will be able to do that at NASA is arrive Friday morning the day before the event... haha

Hooked On Driving is a really good organization, however I think they raised the price a little bit. I haven't done one in awhile so I don't really know. Track Masters is also a good organization to run with. Like I said, it really depends on price and the date you want the event to be. You can't go wrong with anyone of the organizers these days.

Is there a reason you want to do it so late in the year? I would think you would want to do it before October so there is absolutely NO chance of rain. If you can get things set up, you will have PLENTY of time to get people to sign up for an August/September event.

Last edited by blue blurr; 02-12-2008 at 08:31 PM.
Old 02-12-2008, 08:40 PM

Car Info: 05 H2 SUT, 45 GPW, 10 Murano, 13 Boss 302
Kevin,

If I were you, I would have SubyDude put this together. He has the means and methods in place to collect the funds.

Joe did the one last year with unlimitedlaps and it came off great. I did the two previous ones with unlimitedlaps and I got screwed over financially by a couple of i-club members the second year and swore off doing it again. It's not worth the hassle and the headache as far as I'm concerned.

But if you and/or Joe end up doing it, I will be there - just as long as you allow non-subies on the track.
Old 02-12-2008, 08:49 PM

TIA blurr

How about if we buy wheels, we get an hour on the track. or a day
Old 02-12-2008, 09:28 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: this required information?
Originally Posted by Egan
Kevin,

If I were you, I would have SubyDude put this together. He has the means and methods in place to collect the funds.

Joe did the one last year with unlimitedlaps and it came off great. I did the two previous ones with unlimitedlaps and I got screwed over financially by a couple of i-club members the second year and swore off doing it again. It's not worth the hassle and the headache as far as I'm concerned.

But if you and/or Joe end up doing it, I will be there - just as long as you allow non-subies on the track.
You know I think he just wants everyone to sign up for the same day using what ever organization is hosting that day. I don't think he is going to try and host his own event dealing with the payment himself.
Old 02-12-2008, 09:30 PM

you mean Onion doesnt have that kind of money? hmm surprise

I could put a deposit down for some napkins and paper plates?
Old 02-12-2008, 09:52 PM

Originally Posted by Egan
Kevin,

Originally Posted by blue blurr
You know I think he just wants everyone to sign up for the same day using what ever organization is hosting that day. I don't think he is going to try and host his own event dealing with the payment himself.
Hi Egan,

Blue blurr is correct. I am in no ways capable to even host an event. I just think it'd be cool for the I-Club community to get a chance to track together. I did go to the event that SD held back in April. I didn't get to drive, but I did have fun hanging out with everyone.

If one of the vendors can put something together, I think that'd be great as well. Whatever works. That's one of the benefits of Mt. Hammy, and auto-x, and track days. It isn't just the event itself, but the chance to hang out with the friends you've made over the years, meet new ones, and be able to share a similar passion or interest.
Old 02-12-2008, 09:54 PM

Originally Posted by blue blurr
Hey MtnCRUZr, your line is a bit off. You need to raise it.

Dark, I would probably just recommend Thunderhill. Laguna and Sears are fabulous tracks, however they tend to be pretty costly. Probably because of there "international" status when compared to Thunderhill.

As far as which organizer to go with, it pretty much depends on cost and the date of the event. I would try to stay away from NASA simply because NASA weekends are combined Race and HPDE which means they are incredibly crowded. A "club" track day like this needs to have room so all the clubbies can park near each other. Only way you will be able to do that at NASA is arrive Friday morning the day before the event... haha

Hooked On Driving is a really good organization, however I think they raised the price a little bit. I haven't done one in awhile so I don't really know. Track Masters is also a good organization to run with. Like I said, it really depends on price and the date you want the event to be. You can't go wrong with anyone of the organizers these days.

Is there a reason you want to do it so late in the year? I would think you would want to do it before October so there is absolutely NO chance of rain. If you can get things set up, you will have PLENTY of time to get people to sign up for an August/September event.

I think mainly weather. I went to the one in April and it was cooking out there. I would assume summer would just be as difficult. I started the list in September and took all the THill dates down and that is what is listed above. I think even summer may be considered short notice. I dunno. Not up to me to decide the date anyways.
Old 02-13-2008, 10:34 PM

Any other input? Maybe one of the vendors are interested in doing something?

I'll shoot off a PM to Bonster about a group discount or something.
Old 02-13-2008, 11:18 PM

I just heard that Hypermeet II has been canceled due to low interest. I am talking to one of those guys right now and seeing if we can work something out.
Old 02-13-2008, 11:21 PM

Car Info: 2002 wrx
if we need somebody to organize is doug at trackmasters racing organized one for my friend james' birthday. ill ask him what the total cost was, there were about 50 ppl and 3 different run groups with anywhere from 12-17 ppl. It was about $200 per person including catering and teachers for the beginners.

I can talk to him if we all want this to go down.

Is it going to be stricly i-club?
Old 02-13-2008, 11:26 PM

Well... we are just planning to piggyback an existing event. So... your answer to strictly I-Club would be no, probably not. Nothing is concrete right now. Just trying to figure things out.
Old 02-14-2008, 12:23 AM

So, here's the deal with the NorCalEvo Hypermeet. At least my understanding of it. There simply was not enough interest in the event. The Hypermeet was intended to be a Subaru vs. Evo type of deal, but the event simply was not able to produce enough commitments, from I-Club, NASIOC, or NCE. So... the idea of the track day was scrapped. There really isn't much they can do without the interest.

If you are interested in participating in an event like this, speak up. I hope that one of our vendors, like Subydude in the past, will step up and somehow get a venue going.
Old 02-14-2008, 06:05 AM

Car Info: Spec Miata racecar #36
Thanks, Kevin, for the PM directing me to this thread.

Of the groups (other than T.E.A.M. Racing, that is), I would recommend Unlimited Laps or Track Masters. Those two groups are far more organized and you will likely enjoy your day more. Unlimited laps tends to have more track time, as they only run three groups -- or at least, that's how they've done it in the past. T.E.A.M., of course, also runs three groups, so we get more track time as well.

Kevin . . . April is really not short notice, not in the world of motorsports. Every time I've tried to advertise early, people forget the event exists unless I constantly remind them. In fact, we've only got about a dozen signups for the April 4th Thunderhill event. Most likely, if the past repeats itself, we'll get the bulk of our signups in early March or so.

Anyway, since we do have a lot of room still, we could do something special for the Subie folks. Our novice group usually fills up first, and space is limited to 20 drivers, so if you wanna sign up for that group I highly recommend you do it very soon.

We are still the lowest price for the quality, I will say that much. There are a few clubs that offer the event for less, but they get less track time and there aren't instructors. Some groups actually charge MORE and still don't offer designated instructors. We set you up in advance with an instructor to make sure you know what to expect from each other. It has worked out nicely in the past.

Kevin mentioned the possibility of a group buy . . . I can work with that. But remember, it costs about $11,000 per day to rent the track and pay for all other associated items. So I can't do like we did in January with the $150 a day thing, as the track is now full price to rent (in December and January they usually give us a discount to the tune of about $4k), but if I see enough interest from the Subie crowd, I will most certainly talk to my partner and we'll come up with a special rate for you folks.

And by the way . . . to whoever said something like "remind them that they drive a Miata and they'll crawl into their trunks." You obviously have not seen a good Miata driver yet. While an STI will blow my doors off in the straights, I bet you can't keep up with me in those turns. Hehe. That's kind of unfair, though, as my Miata is actually a Spec Miata racecar. But that comment, I have to admit, did make me chuckle. I guess I'm used to it. Just remember, there are different levels of experience out there, and some Miatas have turbos installed. Yikes! Lol. I like to tell folks this little tidbit . . ."a good driver can make a slow car go fast; a bad driver can make a fast car go slow."

Anyway, thanks again Kevin for prompting me about this thread. If anyone has questions, please feel free to ask.

Quick Reply: AUDT: I-Club Track Day?