ATTN STi wing swappers: Does going wingless/wrx wing ACTUALLY reduce attention?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2009, 05:36 PM
Friendly Neighborhood Ogre

Car Info: GUNATICS.COM
The dont give a crap about wings because they know the subies come with them stock. It's the CAR that attracts attention.. Aftermarket parts are what get you pulled over, wing or no wing.
Old 04-07-2009, 05:52 PM
banned

Car Info: heel'n toe da hoe...

Target ftw... nice garages and low prices.... lol
Old 04-07-2009, 10:14 PM

Car Info: 05 wrx
ha. we need to have a meet at the target parking structure some day. lol
Old 04-07-2009, 10:41 PM
Friendly Neighborhood Ogre

Car Info: GUNATICS.COM
Originally Posted by East Bay STI
Stock STi trunk with the 17/9 holes taped up from the inside only difference now is the CF Mirrors are gone. Car is loud as it has UEL Header, Meow-Less DP, Bigger UP and that Beautiful Looking Bllitz Nur-Spec R Singing at the rear of the car.

For some reason I have been quite lucky with the local agencies that patrol my area. I do tend to drive it like a granny and pretty much at every light I get pulled on by even Prius' as I take my time and will even go into neutral approaches most intersections anticipating a red light change. On the freeway I let it rip a little more so and stay under 75 just so that I do not give myself too much attention. I also use my turn signals a hell of a lot just to keep my self clear there too If my car is not catchy looking then I do not know what is. As others have said I have received more attention from others wen I had a WRX wing and Trunk on my car then the way I have it set up now. I do not mind driving like a granny I get better gas mileage and keep the noise down and hopefully avoid unwanted attention

-Gio
Hey, what kind of rear splitter is that? I took off the stock STi one because its a little weird looking
Old 04-07-2009, 11:52 PM

Car Info: 2000 Tacoma Pre-Runner 4 Cyl.
Originally Posted by brucelee
Hey, what kind of rear splitter is that? I took off the stock STi one because its a little weird looking
APR Rear Diffuser in Carbon Fiber.

-Gio
Old 04-08-2009, 02:23 PM

Car Info: 2005 WRX STi, 1993 240sx (going under knife soon)
The major reason I swapped out the STi wing was to see how clean the rear end would be. My trunklid has nothing but the WRX badge and the keyhole, and the rear of the car is completely clean, excepting a tame license plate frame. I like both looks, but the two are completely different. I really like wingless because those who do not know what the car is have no idea just what the car is. And being able to see out the back window with no clearance problems certainly aids driving.
Old 04-08-2009, 05:42 PM

Car Info: 2005 Stg.2 Wrx
where is the antenna on an impreza located?
Old 04-08-2009, 05:50 PM
banned

windshield I think.
Old 04-08-2009, 06:45 PM

Car Info: '02 WRX
Originally Posted by wocabin
where is the antenna on an impreza located?
i have an '02 and its located just above the drive side above the windshield

but now to the real business, this thread seems to be slightly biased towards wingless and for the life of me i cant see why, i know its all personal opinion, but i for one love the rally roots of the wrx and am planning on going from my small wing to the full on, in your face, thats right i drive a sick car, bad a** version of the STi, so to sum up wingless is ok, and by no means does it look bad, but the big mama wing is just sooooo sweet. As for po attention i agree with the statement before that its your aftermarket parts that are going to catch attention if you riding around with a loud TBE going 32 in a 25 and a cop sees you there is most likely no way you are going to get out of it regardless of your wing. Either way good luck and i hope you are happy with your final decision
Old 04-08-2009, 06:56 PM

Car Info: 1988 Yoda
I am wingless and scoopless and never get any looks from the cops, the only time i ever get looks is if they are behind me at a light and hear my exhaust which is very loud or my gold rims, thinking silver or black would probably solve that.
Old 04-08-2009, 08:28 PM

Car Info: COBB ots Stg 2, 06 STi
As a LEO color draws my attention and driving attitude on the roadway, I myself own a CGM STI and have not been pulled over (yes even cops get pulled over and cited). also if I notice you (vehicle) I will see if you have any violations with the vehicle. To be honest I am an enthusiast but not all LEO's are. Its all about discretion in applying letter or spirit of the law. The more mods the sweeter the car!, but it also draws attention. But I love the regular WRX wings I just cant part with my STi wing...=)
Old 04-08-2009, 10:13 PM

Car Info: Fast
Originally Posted by subie OCD
I know a lot of people do this but does it really reduce unwanted attention? I love the giant STi wing but if it keeps me under the radar, I'm going to ditch it.

Also, how is the handling without the big wing? I've heard that the rear of the car is less planted - more tail happy. Any truth to this?
Yes.

Coming from RWD cars, I like a car that is a little loose in the rear...then again the wing will not really affect low speed, so that is probably a moot point.

Name:  DPT1.jpg
Views: 771
Size:  71.3 KB

Name:  side13.jpg
Views: 738
Size:  102.1 KB

Last edited by aboothman; 04-08-2009 at 10:16 PM.
Old 04-09-2009, 09:09 AM

Car Info: STI 2004
Had been pulled over 3 times before I got plates (once just sitting @ a light!) with sti wing and now dont even get looks! Have also run well over double the limit with full,half and no wing (same road) with no big differences. Did not care for the wing blocking the mirior view.
Old 04-09-2009, 09:26 AM
banned

I think the car not having a wing or having a wing with you feeling the differance is really going to be based on a few things.
The car and its suspension and you.

Some people can drive around all day and not know their tires are flat or the left rear tire is 4 psi low in air. I can tell that differance.
If your car is running coil overs, and bushings are of non-oem type. You might feel a differance.

Also what type of wing? My STi wing is carbon. It doesnt flop around in the middle like a bunny.

So my feeling are.
wingless = light rear, quick to rotate, great gas mileage = been stopped and eye balled a few times.

WRX wing = = rear feels loose but not unstable, gas mileage drops a few = never been stopped.

Carbon STi wing = bolted onto a carbon fiber trunk. Very stable, 15-20 mph faster on freeway clovers, poor gas mileage about 45 miles less to a tank. = Never been pulled over for sporting full carbon.

Right now I am runnng wingless but have the voltex installed. The voltex makes up for the lack of handling. Has so much down force I need to pin my rear bumper as its trying to pull it off at the 1/4 panels. I also though have the adjustment room in my suspension to play around. So if my car is having oversteer from lack of wing I can dial that out a bit.

But then again. How many just cant feel the differance in even having a low tire. And be truthful about it. Its a very high number of drivers that cant tell. I know a lot of racers when I was a tire engineer that could not tell. But some that could tell you a 1 psi differance. So its ok not to be able to.
Old 04-09-2009, 09:29 AM

Car Info: 2007 Subaru Sti
well for me attentionwise not working so far. I still got pulled over twice ever since I went wingless for exhaust and tinted front headlights anyways. But it looks so much cleaner. 

Quick Reply: ATTN STi wing swappers: Does going wingless/wrx wing ACTUALLY reduce attention?