ATTN STi wing swappers: Does going wingless/wrx wing ACTUALLY reduce attention?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2009, 11:41 PM

Car Info: 02 SUBARU WRX
cops wont pull over me any more
Old 04-06-2009, 11:42 PM
banned

Car Info: 2004 STi
switched my trunks 4 times in 2 years.

Stock sti trunk to wrx wing to sti trunk to wingless.

I had more hondas mess with me when i was using the wrx wing vs the other two. Love being able to see out the rear view mirror, the rear view auto dim seems to be faster not having the sti spoiler blocking it. The sti spoiler makes the rear feel planted but of course it weighs 40+ pounds. The wrx wing made the rear feel jumpy, but I have to say the wingless feels alot better than i thought it would. The rear doesn't feel jumpy while using the wingless trunk vs the wrx wing.
Old 04-07-2009, 12:45 AM

Car Info: Nadda
Some cops profile, so in a sense you are lowering the possibility of being pulled over. No wing or small wing is wayy better than the stock STI superman of a wing that they come with. In addition, a bunch of the fast and furious narbs runnin' around lookin' for stupidly modded cars would consider yours less than if it had a huge wing.
Old 04-07-2009, 01:10 AM

Car Info: Smokin' Joe
took the wing off and replaced the attention getter in the form of an FMIC. Now when a cop is behind me, he doesn't have to look a the wing anymore, instead they will just wait for a pop from me running to rich. awesome. ... . ..
Old 04-07-2009, 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by crfsti
I got really lucky by having a guy with a '06 wrx ask me to trade. Haven't noticed any change in handling since going wingless, and i'm guessing it has to help with staying under the radar cause i have yet to be pulled over in the sti. plus, i think it makes the car look much better imo.
here's my rear-end

what catback do u have?
Old 04-07-2009, 08:51 AM

Car Info: 2015 WRX
What about the performance of the car? Doesn't the wing start to apply downforce at 40 MPH or so? I've been thinking of getting rid of my wing, but if there's a noticeable effect on the handling I'll pass.
Old 04-07-2009, 09:34 AM

Car Info: 2008 subaru AWD stroller...wahaha
hehe...sorry guys, can't feel your pain coz I had a hatch back...

and for some reason, I saw a integ with a sti wing...I felt weird and sick looking at it, dude it he already had 4 different color on the body already (white, black, green and red)

anyway, I'm a rally fan...had to love the wing...
alan'09
Old 04-07-2009, 11:41 AM
Yin

Car Info: 2016 FXT
matt, it really does make a difference. but i suppose it depends on what other mods you have as well that also 'cross the line' as far as attention goes. like having a ricer exhaust, or blingin 20" rims, or just plain driving like a jackass. so it all matters, just depends on how far you take it. so i will say, as someone who doesnt own an sti, but notices each and every one (cuz we're ****** for imprezas), the wing sticks out like a sore thumb.
Old 04-07-2009, 11:45 AM

Car Info: 05 wrx
I've had all the trunks on my car, wrx wing, sti wing and now I'm wingless.
I love the look of wingless. The sti wing sometime attracts unwanted attention. people complemented the car at lot more with the sti wing on.
I didn't notice a difference in down force.
supposedly it only provides additional down force after like 80mph plus. someone correct me.
Old 04-07-2009, 11:51 AM

Car Info: 2015 WRX
Originally Posted by DemonPossessed
I've had all the trunks on my car, wrx wing, sti wing and now I'm wingless.
I love the look of wingless. The sti wing sometime attracts unwanted attention. people complemented the car at lot more with the sti wing on.
I didn't notice a difference in down force.
supposedly it only provides additional down force after like 80mph plus. someone correct me.
Sup broham. For what it's worth and with only a few seconds of searching on Google, I found this post:

Name:  STiWing-2.jpg
Views: 1192
Size:  49.3 KB
Old 04-07-2009, 11:57 AM

Car Info: Your mom
Originally Posted by subie OCD
I know a lot of people do this but does it really reduce unwanted attention? I love the giant STi wing but if it keeps me under the radar, I'm going to ditch it.

Also, how is the handling without the big wing? I've heard that the rear of the car is less planted - more tail happy. Any truth to this?

Please share your experience if you've done it !!

P.S.

Please feel free to ***** out pics of your STi with/without wing

I more or less went wingless do to looks more so then attention purposes.

Taking the wing off I did notice a driving difference, the rear seemed to jump around a little more than usual. but like they said, it does get in the way of rear view mirror as well
Old 04-07-2009, 02:58 PM

Car Info: 2005 Stg.2 Wrx
i can definitely tell the difference in the rear when taking hard turns on a decline. when i was wingless, it felt like my rear was 'up in the air' a little bit but the wing has definitely brought it down for the rear power.
Old 04-07-2009, 03:20 PM
Yin

Car Info: 2016 FXT
^ that might be a result of the weight of the wing alone. the wing really only makes a difference at higher speeds. just looking at that graph, even 50mph wont provide much downforce.
Old 04-07-2009, 04:43 PM

Car Info: 2000 Tacoma Pre-Runner 4 Cyl.
Stock STi trunk with the 17/9 holes taped up from the inside only difference now is the CF Mirrors are gone. Car is loud as it has UEL Header, Meow-Less DP, Bigger UP and that Beautiful Looking Bllitz Nur-Spec R Singing at the rear of the car.

Name:  IMG_1582.jpg
Views: 1212
Size:  90.8 KB

Name:  IMG_1588.jpg
Views: 1180
Size:  56.2 KB

Name:  IMG_1589.jpg
Views: 1252
Size:  70.4 KB

For some reason I have been quite lucky with the local agencies that patrol my area. I do tend to drive it like a granny and pretty much at every light I get pulled on by even Prius' as I take my time and will even go into neutral approaches most intersections anticipating a red light change. On the freeway I let it rip a little more so and stay under 75 just so that I do not give myself too much attention. I also use my turn signals a hell of a lot just to keep my self clear there too If my car is not catchy looking then I do not know what is. As others have said I have received more attention from others wen I had a WRX wing and Trunk on my car then the way I have it set up now. I do not mind driving like a granny I get better gas mileage and keep the noise down and hopefully avoid unwanted attention

-Gio
Old 04-07-2009, 05:12 PM

Car Info: '11 White Shelby Cobra GT 500
Lucky for my husband though because I kept the sti wing and bought the wingless trunk. He can switch it around anytime he wants.

Quick Reply: ATTN STi wing swappers: Does going wingless/wrx wing ACTUALLY reduce attention?