ATTN: Mechanical Engineers

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2007, 09:16 PM

Car Info: 2001 Impreza 2.2L
ATTN: Mechanical Engineers

Hey all MEs, I'm going to be majoring in Mechanical Engineering at SJSU, but I'm having second thoughts.

First of all, I like mechanics in general. As a kid, I always wondered how things worked the way they did. I decided to go with mechanical engineering because I also wanted to study automotive engineering too.

The thing that gets me is the amount of math required. First thing is that I suck at math. I actually have to take remedial math my first semester. Also, physics and all those formulas are not my strong point either.

I was wondering if I should change majors because of the amount of math and physics required? I'm not interested in business or any other thing.

I'm not really taking any core engineering classes other than some intro to engineering course (ENGR 8), so it's OK to change majors right now I guess.

Thanks in advance for any input!
Old 08-15-2007, 09:24 PM

Car Info: 05 wrx
sounds like your on the same boat that i once was on.
really, it depends on how much you want it. being in remedial math puts you behind the 8ball and you WILL have to put all you have into your class work

math and physics are big big and you'll have to take chem 1a (hardest freshmen class at SJSU)
Old 08-15-2007, 10:41 PM
Yeah, You've Probably Never Heard Of Me.

Car Info: 345/30/19s
hit up Miguel and Whit (Mnavarro and AntiochCali)
Old 08-15-2007, 11:09 PM

no worries about not knowing whats right for you, most people change their majors more than twice. did the change the intro to engineering? when i took it, it was engineering10.

what are your strong points?

Last edited by RU-X; 08-15-2007 at 11:12 PM.
Old 08-15-2007, 11:19 PM

Car Info: 2006 evo IX
mechE isnt for everyone, as a mechE grad i can say if youa re struggling with remedial math, you are in for a long 4+ years

I rock socks at math and still had a tough time
Old 08-15-2007, 11:20 PM
250,000-mile Club President

Car Info: MBP 02 WRX wagon
If you aren't REALLY into math, forget engineering, even most tech degrees ask for more than a little, but engineering is really all about math.

I don't know exactly when it happened-I struggled with it in grade school but at some point I all of a sudden liked math , its actually really cool when you get to the higher levels of applied math, but unless you can make that shift to "getting it" with math, engineering school is going to get harsh.

There are mech tech degrees that de-emphasize the math and could get you working in the field without needing to be totally at the engineering level too.

A couple of years experience can be worth the piece of paper, especially if its just another piece of paper- in a lot of industries still getting a degree is important, but what it's in only counts for your first job or two and not much beyond that.
Old 08-16-2007, 01:01 AM

Car Info: 2000 Subaru Impreza RSTi
^^^^ what he said

I am an AE major in SJSU. every single class would require u to do maths related problems. nothing like theories only anymore
Old 08-16-2007, 01:14 AM

Car Info: 2001 Impreza 2.2L
Thanks for the input guys! Really appreciate it. It's an early engineering course, ENGR 8, so it doesn't really have any impact on anything.

What major do you guys recommend? I'm into mechanical stuff, such as hands on work. I don't really know of any major that allows you to do hands on work. I was considering Computer Engineering, but that sounds really hard, as is Computer Science. Electrical engineering sounds good too, but like you guys said, engineering requires a ton of math, which I'm not really good at.
Old 08-16-2007, 01:18 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: Seishin-teki kyōkō/Intonjutsu/Shinobi-ir
I too am looking into Mech. Engineering but also wanna try out electrical..Also heard from a cousin who is a Mech. Engineer is that the elec. guys teases the mech guys but in a friendly way..Before this, got my Degree in Computer science but hated it just sitting down all the time so decided to go back school..Oh well, might change majors again..
Old 08-16-2007, 02:29 AM

Car Info: RIP: 2000 2.5RS Sedan, BRP Now: 08 WRB WRX Hatch
I changed my major to Mech Eng the other year from Computer Engineer. Computers aren't really my thing but I like mechanical stuff and work well on it. I might try to transfer to SJSU or some other places after I finish my generals at DeAnza.

How is the engineering dept (esp mech) at SJSU? I was first looking at either of the Cal Polys but they seem to be high enrollment over there for mechanical eng.
Old 08-16-2007, 02:46 AM

Car Info: 06 OBP STi
sup guys,

I just recently graduated (June 2007) with a BS in ME at CalPoly. ME requires a lot of math and the point of these math classes is to help build a solid fondation for the math required in upper level ME classes such a Dynamics, Fluids, and Thermo (and there are harder classes than these). Don't let all the fancy name scare you and if you work really hard (ie read the book...it really and I can't stress this enough, really helps out alot) it's not all that bad. To be successful at anything, you have to give it your best and if you really want to do this then you have to give it your best.

Best of luck.
Old 08-16-2007, 03:47 AM

Originally Posted by dSpec
Thanks for the input guys! Really appreciate it. It's an early engineering course, ENGR 8, so it doesn't really have any impact on anything.

What major do you guys recommend? I'm into mechanical stuff, such as hands on work. I don't really know of any major that allows you to do hands on work. I was considering Computer Engineering, but that sounds really hard, as is Computer Science. Electrical engineering sounds good too, but like you guys said, engineering requires a ton of math, which I'm not really good at.
if you can draw, or have the willingness to learn how to draw, you can do Industrial Design. its product design, you deal with the aesthetics of things and maybe even inventing newer better things that can help make people's lives better. its nice because you WILL work with your hands building models and other stuff. you will learn about how things work and are made. BUT if you wanna do this, prepare for a lot of sleepless nights, high, stress, and spending a lot of money on materials.

Another plus is that you don't have to fully know things work, because you basicly come up with the concept, how it looks, how it works, what it does, and then you give it to the engineers to bust their *** to make it work.

back in the day engineers made the product and the designers worked around it to make it look better. Today, due to the high demand of aesthetic's, people are designing things on how they look and engineers have the jobs of making it work.

you can also take ID as a minor... i'd prob pick that because the nature of the industry is REALLY completive.

Last edited by RU-X; 08-16-2007 at 03:56 AM.
Old 08-16-2007, 07:56 AM
mot
Likes The Color Purple

Car Info: plug-in prius
Originally Posted by darealSTi
sup guys,

I just recently graduated (June 2007) with a BS in ME at CalPoly. ME requires a lot of math and the point of these math classes is to help build a solid fondation for the math required in upper level ME classes such a Dynamics, Fluids, and Thermo (and there are harder classes than these). Don't let all the fancy name scare you and if you work really hard (ie read the book...it really and I can't stress this enough, really helps out alot) it's not all that bad. To be successful at anything, you have to give it your best and if you really want to do this then you have to give it your best.

Best of luck.
dont trip home slice. engineering is easy. statics, dynamics, thermo, & fluids were a breeeze. you wont know until you try. if youre really scared then major in ...liberal arts or something. btw, reading the book is a waste of time.
Old 08-16-2007, 09:16 AM

Car Info: 2006 evo IX
Originally Posted by mot
dont trip home slice. engineering is easy. statics, dynamics, thermo, & fluids were a breeeze. you wont know until you try. if youre really scared then major in ...liberal arts or something. btw, reading the book is a waste of time.
lol liar

To the OP, if you arent good at math, EE and ComputerE really arent good options either. Almost ALL engineering majors require a lot of math. However, once you get a job in the engineering field, there is much less math/book work involved

I think most people who say they suck at math do so because so many ppl say it. Math is really straight forward, so if you are logical and have the time and dedication to sit down and actually try to learn it, you should be fine. Most people give up on it and themselves without a real effort (which is really sad, there could be a lot more good engineers out there). If you are willing to actually try it out, it could be very rewarding. There are a lot of extremely fun professions connected to ME

If you are just into being hands on and such, mechanical engineering technology is usually the major to choose, which leads to jobs as test engineers or tool/lab technicians of some sort. However, this field is not nearly as lucrative, or is there as much upward mobility possible
Old 08-16-2007, 09:21 AM
mot
Likes The Color Purple

Car Info: plug-in prius
engineer = CAPPED s0n!

Quick Reply: ATTN: Mechanical Engineers