Attempted break-in, what should I do?

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2013, 01:42 PM
previously known as wrxBRAH

Car Info: 2004 FXT
Originally Posted by 02RS25
bahaha this guy. lol

id make a custom sign:

Beware of Owner. Throws torque wrenches at intruders.

hahahaha
Tools are no joke. My dad flung a ratchet at me once and it tagged me right in the kneecap. I was handicapped for atleast 30mins.

Its clear the would be robbers dont know about Dominic Toretto. You never **** with a mechanic!
Old 08-02-2013, 01:55 PM

Car Info: 2002 Impreza RS, 2005 Impreza RS-20K
Originally Posted by wrxBRAH
Tools are no joke. My dad flung a ratchet at me once and it tagged me right in the kneecap. I was handicapped for atleast 30mins.

Its clear the would be robbers dont know about Dominic Toretto. You never **** with a mechanic!
lol damn ur dad got some beef on yoouuu. lol

ive seen instances where someone will use and air compressor and lodge something in there to use as a firearm. LOLOL
Old 08-02-2013, 03:06 PM
I survived the Mod Challenge and all I got was this lousy title

Car Info: ...zeh car drives you!
I will probably need a flamesuit after my relies, but I felt this this shoudl be said...so here goes nothing...

Originally Posted by 04GG
+1 all three of the above. If a barking dog doesn't scare off intruders, the click-clack of a pump shotgun pretty much always does.
The last part is an utter myth; the intruder is already doesn't have an issue with trespassing, burglary, robbery, and at least assault. How do you know he isn't desprate enough to take his chances rushing you...especially if they are mentally unstable or under some sort of influence. Every second and round counts in that situation.

Plus, not having a shotgun loaded is one less round in a gun that already doesn't have the biggest capacity (most home defence models are 5+1). Why handicap yourself (assuming you don't have side saddle and/or speed load stock)?

Originally Posted by theoutbackdream
I would but the whole legalities of a gun are just confusing, and seem to go against the shooter even if you are defending yourself. I live in Los Altos.
Sounds like a good time to learn them Would you rather know your legal limits or claim ignorance after the fact?

Originally Posted by queeg9k
Anyone telling you to get a gun and not load it is an IDIOT.
+1,000,000 Understatement of the century

I keep one in the tube but not chambered. The rest are available to me in a different place because one should not keep their firearm and ammo together, this is correct.
Originally Posted by OneManArmy
I keep shells in a couple places around the house but don't keep mine loaded. Not safe.
That is terriable, yet very common, advice. How is keeping unloaded firearms and ammo stored in seperate places safer? Are you assuming an intruder will allow you time to wake up, get the gun, get the ammo, load the magazine, load the gun, chamber the round and THEN shoot him? All the while your panic and/or adrenaline are through the roof? If the intruder is good enough to get past some or all of your security, I wouldn't rely on having a lot of time to react.

Than again, I am a paranoid Ruskie that have been trained to assume the worst case secenero...multiple armed intruders with nothing to loose. Do you really want to gamble your life assuming it will be anything less? Hope for the best, prepare for the worst.

DISCLAMER: Deadly force should be your last resort option, I fully agree with everyone about taking all possible other security precausions (signs, alarms, dogs, fenses, whatever)...but you still need to be prepared for the very worst. I would like to think of myself as the world's best armed passifist

Last edited by LxJLthr; 08-02-2013 at 03:33 PM.
Old 08-02-2013, 03:29 PM
I survived the Mod Challenge and all I got was this lousy title

Car Info: ...zeh car drives you!
It sounds like guns IMO just don't solve the issue of safety. sounds like they create a whole new page to the story.
Only if you are an irresponsible and negligent gun owner (just like with any other object).

I keep forgetting who said this, but when it comes down to defending my own life..."I rather be judged by 12, than be carried by 6"
Old 08-02-2013, 05:17 PM
If in doubt, FLAT OUT

Car Info: 2010 Hatch, 2011 Sedan
Originally Posted by LxJLthr
The last part is an utter myth; the intruder is already doesn't have an issue with trespassing, burglary, robbery, and at least assault. How do you know he isn't desprate enough to take his chances rushing you...especially if they are mentally unstable or under some sort of influence. Every second and round counts in that situation.
Not it isn't a myth. Agreed that someone who is breaking into your house is not "right" already, does not mean they are completely insane. Drugged out maybe, but there will be a difference between a thief and a tweaker. The tweaker may rush you but the theif is just looking for something easy or they wouldn't be breaking into a house.... Having a gun isn't going to prevent a break in.

Plus, not having a shotgun loaded is one less round in a gun that already doesn't have the biggest capacity (most home defence models are 5+1). Why handicap yourself (assuming you don't have side saddle and/or speed load stock)?
100% true on capacity, but if you need more than 5 with a shotgun, something is wrong. Sort of the point of a shotgun for home defense is that you ARE going to hit if you have ANY practice with the firearm at all. It is no different than a fire extinguisher. Just because you have one doesn't mean you will do the right thing when there's a fire so you need to practice and know what to do. Having a gun also does no good if you aren't prepared to use it, and that also means mentally and physically. I make sure I have the little lady fire the shotgun a few times a year so she also has the confidence to use it without having to think about it, which is the way you need to be able to think in a high stress situation. If it isn't second nature, you aren't prepared.

That is terriable, yet very common, advice. How is keeping unloaded firearms and ammo stored in seperate places safer? Are you assuming an intruder will allow you time to wake up, get the gun, get the ammo, load the magazine, load the gun, chamber the round and THEN shoot him? All the while your panic and/or adrenaline are through the roof? If the intruder is good enough to get past some or all of your security, I wouldn't rely on having a lot of time to react.
No, the assumption is that if they are in your house while you aren't and you come home, they will not find an already loaded weapon and use it against you immediately and even if you are there and they get to your weapon first for whatever reason, it isn't loaded. If you can't load it and be ready to rock in a few seconds, you aren't prepared. This is the same recommendation/requirement with children in the house - if the two are kept separate, much less chance of disaster. When I go to bed it is there and loaded next to me. When I get up, I typically unload it unless it is going in a holster.

Last edited by 04GG; 08-02-2013 at 05:41 PM.
Old 08-02-2013, 08:34 PM

Car Info: Forester XTi
One more small thing, and as far as I know this is true in most or all states: if you shoot and kill someone even in self defense, you WILL be arrested and held until justification/self defense is proven.
Ah that is the great thing about CA, you do not have to prove justification, the DA must prove you did NOT have justification, its a huge difference in legal stance.
Old 08-02-2013, 08:46 PM

Car Info: Whatever The Lot Provides ;)
*O/P whatever you decide, don't post the solution publicly.

Re-Addressing what everyone else has said or implied, since you have met and now know me to a degree, let me add my part.

**I also have a few strategically placed items not of the firearm variety. I don't ever want to be in a situation to have to use them, that said I have had to use them and yes, it isn't an easy choice knowing that if things go bad your life can very well be ended and carry over also to your family. Then factor in the conscious decision you are willing and capable of ending someone. I've been in situations where luckily my "Off-Switch" came on.

Don't put yourself there, and if you are intending to consider it, take classes and make sure to consult with someone who's been there because it's always easier to think you're OK with it. Coming to grips with the consequences after the fact is an entirely different thing.

Finalize that with the legals like I have had to go through fighting someone's claims against my co-workers, myself, and our business, or in 1 case the residential facility and University I was a part of and you begin to appreciate life a bit more. The cute little award(s) and pieces of paper stating basically "Merit" are worthless to me. They don't change that situations were put in my lap that needed to be dealt with or people would have been hurt.

I have friends in pretty much each local around here and even they have asked my restraint remain. Keep in mind your age and that life is wide open for you at this time.

Protect yourself and your family's best interests first. It's just property, not a life and not your lives.

Last edited by TheFozz; 08-02-2013 at 08:51 PM.
Old 08-03-2013, 01:50 AM

Car Info: 12Teens crazy 4 me
I will probably need a flamesuit after my relies, but I felt this this shoudl be said...so here goes nothing...

Sounds like a good time to learn them Would you rather know your legal limits or claim ignorance after the fact?

+1,000,000 Understatement of the century

Than again, I am a paranoid Ruskie that have been trained to assume the worst case secenero...multiple armed intruders with nothing to loose. Do you really want to gamble your life assuming it will be anything less? Hope for the best, prepare for the worst.

DISCLAMER: Deadly force should be your last resort option, I fully agree with everyone about taking all possible other security precausions (signs, alarms, dogs, fenses, whatever)...but you still need to be prepared for the very worst. I would like to think of myself as the world's best armed passifist
Damn, lots of info.

If a robber was found to be mental, and I killed him even in self defense, wouldn't they (Judge, jury, etc.) turn the tables towards me for killing someone mentally unstable? Because i've heard of cases where mental people HAVE killed someone, and got away or a lessened sentence a few years back.

Only if you are an irresponsible and negligent gun owner (just like with any other object).

I keep forgetting who said this, but when it comes down to defending my own life..."I rather be judged by 12, than be carried by 6"
Quote is very true. and your point is valid. no argument there.

Not it isn't a myth. Agreed that someone who is breaking into your house is not "right" already, does not mean they are completely insane. Drugged out maybe, but there will be a difference between a thief and a tweaker. The tweaker may rush you but the theif is just looking for something easy or they wouldn't be breaking into a house.... Having a gun isn't going to prevent a break in.

100% true on capacity, but if you need more than 5 with a shotgun, something is wrong. Sort of the point of a shotgun for home defense is that you ARE going to hit if you have ANY practice with the firearm at all. It is no different than a fire extinguisher. Just because you have one doesn't mean you will do the right thing when there's a fire so you need to practice and know what to do. Having a gun also does no good if you aren't prepared to use it, and that also means mentally and physically. I make sure I have the little lady fire the shotgun a few times a year so she also has the confidence to use it without having to think about it, which is the way you need to be able to think in a high stress situation. If it isn't second nature, you aren't prepared.

No, the assumption is that if they are in your house while you aren't and you come home, they will not find an already loaded weapon and use it against you immediately and even if you are there and they get to your weapon first for whatever reason, it isn't loaded. If you can't load it and be ready to rock in a few seconds, you aren't prepared. This is the same recommendation/requirement with children in the house - if the two are kept separate, much less chance of disaster. When I go to bed it is there and loaded next to me. When I get up, I typically unload it unless it is going in a holster.
Definitely agree that a gun won't prevent a break in, but that could be the same as Lights and cameras, dogs if the robber is that committed, which mine seemed like it was...

That makes sense but that brings a whole new topic of owning a gun, how safe can it be to you if somehow the robber accesses gun first? mehh.

Originally Posted by TheFozz
*O/P whatever you decide, don't post the solution publicly.

Re-Addressing what everyone else has said or implied, since you have met and now know me to a degree, let me add my part.

**I also have a few strategically placed items not of the firearm variety. I don't ever want to be in a situation to have to use them, that said I have had to use them and yes, it isn't an easy choice knowing that if things go bad your life can very well be ended and carry over also to your family. Then factor in the conscious decision you are willing and capable of ending someone. I've been in situations where luckily my "Off-Switch" came on.

Don't put yourself there, and if you are intending to consider it, take classes and make sure to consult with someone who's been there because it's always easier to think you're OK with it. Coming to grips with the consequences after the fact is an entirely different thing.

Finalize that with the legals like I have had to go through fighting someone's claims against my co-workers, myself, and our business, or in 1 case the residential facility and University I was a part of and you begin to appreciate life a bit more. The cute little award(s) and pieces of paper stating basically "Merit" are worthless to me. They don't change that situations were put in my lap that needed to be dealt with or people would have been hurt.

I have friends in pretty much each local around here and even they have asked my restraint remain. Keep in mind your age and that life is wide open for you at this time.

Protect yourself and your family's best interests first. It's just property, not a life and not your lives.
Thats smart will edit my replies.

Thats one of the major things definitely keeping me away from the gun. While I know this is probably the dumbest things to base it off, but it was a movie that I watched a long time back, and watching him struggle just doesn't want me to be placed in that situation.

Thats crazy to hear Shane.

I will agree, I still have a life to live and its still an open door. But, it seems like without having well equipt protection like a gun, would close that door. While the government's legalities of self defense are an open invitation to a mystery door. I guess its one of those things, as a person, you figure out which step to place forward.

Anyways, Little Update:
With further scouting around house/backyard, the Rear gate was tried to be kicked down (opposite side of garage) and the Fence latch was completely broken off the fence, with the fence completely bent up and not closing properly now. Then the rear light sensor was pointed all the way up, and I tested it and it would NOT activate even jumping above the fence line. Before it was pointed straight into our backyard area, and 100% sure as it would've activated within 20feet of the sensor.
Old 08-03-2013, 02:52 AM

Car Info: Whatever The Lot Provides ;)
Thats crazy to hear Shane.
As someone has been so kind to point out recently, I'm old(er). I've seen some stuff in my day. Just keep your head about you is basically what I'm saying here. We can chat in person if you want advice and/or stories of stupidity.
Old 08-03-2013, 07:53 AM
If in doubt, FLAT OUT

Car Info: 2010 Hatch, 2011 Sedan
My real home is in a very rural area. If someone is on my property and looks suspicious, they aren't met with welcoming arms. Not that we've had a single problem, but it is the kind of area where people are generally not just walking around either. We are about 200ft back from the road. That's why we have a dog - she's the door bell. In a rural area also though, a criminal would pretty much expect every home is armed out there.

Non-lethal and diffusion of the situation are ALWAYS the preferred method to end the situation.

Another comment that Shane touched on - legally, you cannot protect property, only lives. If you come out and someone is breaking into your car, you cannot legally harm them. Someone trying to kick your gate down while you are home though - I consider that a threat.

LOL. I'd say I'm older also
Old 08-03-2013, 08:29 AM

Car Info: 2011 WRX Sedan

you could hire this kid to house sit 24/7, I saw this hour+ long ad, he knows how to give criminals a run for their money.

On a serious note, regardless of what route you go, it sounds like you need to cover the blind spots of your home security so that they can't mess with the sensors.

As for the logitech camera I posted, I love it (apart from the price). The downside to it is that you need a power outlet and wifi (Which shouldn't be an issue).

Last edited by w0ng3r; 08-03-2013 at 08:40 AM.
Old 08-03-2013, 09:57 AM

Car Info: '11 White Shelby Cobra GT 500
I live in Los Altos as well and one of my neighbors behind me was recently robbed. We also had someone come down our driveway and got close to our gate but set the dogs off and he ran. I am like the only one on my block that actually has lights as all my neighbors properties are so dark. I put lights in when we bought the house recently because there are also no street lights on my block. Where about do you live just wondering if you are close to me or not. I live off of Los Altos ave in the old farm house section.

Any suggestions on surveillance cameras? I was looking at frys today.

There is a set of those on the side of the house, but will look into getting one in the front yard.

No way would I confront a robber. Now if I was a big guy, I probably would as it may freak the crap out of him.

LOL

Nice find, might look into it, or get a video system.

I would but the whole legalities of a gun are just confusing, and seem to go against the shooter even if you are defending yourself. I live in Los Altos.
Old 08-03-2013, 11:11 AM

Car Info: 05 wrx wagon, 90 celica alltrac, 66 mustang
Old 08-03-2013, 11:12 AM

Car Info: 2011 WRX Sedan
Originally Posted by queeg9k
Old 08-03-2013, 11:13 AM

Car Info: 12Teens crazy 4 me
Originally Posted by TheFozz

As someone has been so kind to point out recently, I'm old(er). I've seen some stuff in my day. Just keep your head about you is basically what I'm saying here. We can chat in person if you want advice and/or stories of stupidity.
That would be very helpful.
My real home is in a very rural area. If someone is on my property and looks suspicious, they aren't met with welcoming arms. Not that we've had a single problem, but it is the kind of area where people are generally not just walking around either. We are about 200ft back from the road. That's why we have a dog - she's the door bell. In a rural area also though, a criminal would pretty much expect every home is armed out there.

Non-lethal and diffusion of the situation are ALWAYS the preferred method to end the situation.

Another comment that Shane touched on - legally, you cannot protect property, only lives. If you come out and someone is breaking into your car, you cannot legally harm them. Someone trying to kick your gate down while you are home though - I consider that a threat.

LOL. I'd say I'm older also
Interesting but it does make sense more rural areas have guns and how a door being kicked is a threat.
Originally Posted by w0ng3r

you could hire this kid to house sit 24/7, I saw this hour+ long ad, he knows how to give criminals a run for their money.

On a serious note, regardless of what route you go, it sounds like you need to cover the blind spots of your home security so that they can't mess with the sensors.

As for the logitech camera I posted, I love it (apart from the price). The downside to it is that you need a power outlet and wifi (Which shouldn't be an issue).
Very true. But it seems like they messed with the house while I was out of the state with family.

The camera is on my parents mind and they are favoring it.
Originally Posted by Gibz
I live in Los Altos as well and one of my neighbors behind me was recently robbed. We also had someone come down our driveway and got close to our gate but set the dogs off and he ran. I am like the only one on my block that actually has lights as all my neighbors properties are so dark. I put lights in when we bought the house recently because there are also no street lights on my block. Where about do you live just wondering if you are close to me or not. I live off of Los Altos ave in the old farm house section.
Oh ya los altos has no lights on at all at night. Just like you we are basically the only house with a light. That said, I don't have a defense mechanism such as a dog.

I'm opposite side of the city near springer and cuesta. Not that far though.