Arizona to Los Angelis: "**** with the bull, get the horns."

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2010, 04:51 PM

Car Info: Subaru STI
Originally Posted by Mr. Xevious
I don't think the feds would force them to sell LA power.
So you are saying that the federal government would allow Arizona to cut off power to on of the largest markets in America. Ya, I guess I am an absolute moron.

Do you realize how the federal government uses the Interstate Commerce Act to regulate just about everything in the country?

They even used interstate commerce act to force integration on private property after the Civil rights act.

Originally Posted by ipozestu
Do you think energy is produced for free? Of course not. AZ reduces production in turn reduces cost. LA forced to buy power from else where. The feds have no say in a deregulated market. How do you think enron came about? As energy traders go this is music to their ears.
Originally Posted by irrational x
spoken like someone who is completely ignorant of 1.) the Arizona law and 2.) how interstate trade works

We are not talking about energy trading and deregulated markets, we are talking about LA loosing electricity, and I am pretty damn sure that the gap could not be made up by power stations in California. Therefore forcing brown outs all over southern cali.

So what was that again, I know nothing of what???

Why the *** hatery? Did you write the law, have I offended you personally? If we were having this convo in person would you say that? I think not.

Last edited by horsecut54; 05-19-2010 at 04:55 PM. Reason: forgot to quote every ting
Old 05-19-2010, 04:57 PM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: 2005 LGT wagon
If you can't afford it or produce it yourself, you do not deserve it.
Be it power, water, or food.
LA/California, et al, is a classic case of NIMBYism.

The only thing that fix California is pain and suffering.
Old 05-19-2010, 05:01 PM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: 2005 LGT wagon
"Hello. I'm from the federal bureau of XXXX. You are hereby forced to sell your product/services to the city govt of LA."

What dept has the authority to do that?
Old 05-19-2010, 06:26 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2017 CWP WRX & 2007 SWP WRX
Originally Posted by Yin
^ agreed.

but if there was a scale of objectivity, fox would be the lowest - they dont even try. not talking about this thread (since the article is just talking about events that took place), but it's always trite and hilarious when someone quotes fox news to reference a fact.

and cmon, LA aint that bad - we can thank them for popularizing silicone and aesthetics. there are more haters in the bay and sf (entitlement). take this thread for example.
Do you have any objective data to back that up or are you being subjective in your assessment?

Quoting the Center for Media and Public Affairs (at George Mason University)'s study: "Media Monitor: Election Watch '08: Campaign 2008 Final" http://www.cmpa.com/pdf/media_monitor_jan_2009.pdf :

In 2008 the Democratic ticket won the race for good press even more handily then the election itself. Barak Obama garnered the most favorable coverage of any presidential candidate CMPA has tracked since 1988, with 68% positive evaluations by reporters and nonpartisan sources. His two to one ratio of good to bad press was the reverse of John McCain’s media portrait. McCain attracted only 33% positive evaluations, a two to one negative ratio. For all the novelty of Sarah Palin’s candidacy, her two to one negative ratio was almost identical to that of McCain. Her Democratic counterpart Joe Biden received very light but balanced coverage. Overall the Democratic ticket’s coverage was twice as positive as that of the Republicans.
The “FOX difference” lay not in what they covered but in how they covered the campaign. It will come as no surprise to learn that FOX carried the most positive portrayal of McCain and Palin and the most negative portrayals of Obama and Biden. By the same token, however, the tone of FOX’s coverage of the candidates was, if not the fairest, at least the most balanced of the four networks we monitored.
While the broadcast networks all featured a large gap between Obama’s mostly good press and McCain's and Palin’s mostly bad press, FOX’s coverage was mainly negative toward all the candidates. Thus, McCain bested Obama only slightly in the race for good press, by 40% to 37% positive evaluations. When Palin’s and Biden’s coverage is factored in, the gap grew to 41% positive for the GOP ticket to 32% positive for the Democrats. But this difference of nine percentage points is far less than any of the broadcast networks featured in the opposite direction. The two Democrats bested their Republican counterparts by margins of 37 percentage points on CBS, 36 on NBC, and 22 on ABC.
The tone of FOX’s coverage favored the GOP more clearly on evaluations that were directed at the candidates’ policies and issue positions (see chart below). On this dimension McCain’s coverage was 61% positive compared to only 33% positive for Obama. Taken together, evaluations of the Republican ticket were 42% positive on FOX, nearly double the 22% positive judgments of the Democratic candidates’ policies. However, this 20 point spread was still less than the 28 percentage point difference between Democratic policies (52% positive) and Republican policies (24% positive) in the broadcast networks’ coverage.
Voters’ evaluations of election news have been remarkably consistent over the past 20 years, according to the Pew Research Centers post-election surveys, which ask respondents to “grade” the media’s performance on a scale from A to F. In 2008 the media's “grade point average” was 1.8, down from 1.9 in 2004. Only 9 percent give the media a grade of “A,” while 24% gave them an “F,” the highest proportion of failing grades across the last six elections.
Live + Same Day Cable News Daily Ratings for May 18, 2010
P2+ Total Day

FNC – 1,248,000 viewers
CNN – 395,000 viewers
MSNBC – 451,000 viewers

CNBC – 214,000 viewers
HLN – 275,000 viewers
P2+ Prime Time
FNC – 2,367,000 viewers
CNN – 614,000 viewers
MSNBC –997,000 viewers

CNBC – 202,000 viewers
HLN –420,000 viewers
Just some food for though
Old 05-19-2010, 06:26 PM
Churro Aficionado

Car Info: IG - @TEAMMOISTOFFICIAL
AZ major p3wnage
Old 05-19-2010, 06:38 PM

Car Info: Blown Transmissions
socal sucks anyways :P
Old 05-19-2010, 06:47 PM

Car Info: Hilux Double Cab with a Dishka on top
Originally Posted by fizay
They're just mad the Suns are about to be 0-2 against the Lakers.
Old 05-19-2010, 07:17 PM

Car Info: Forester XTi
Originally Posted by horsecut54
GENIUS! Fight a potentially economic downfall due to a boycott, by...

Cutting off power to probably the single biggest market of energy, furthering the economic hit to the state... GENIUS I SAY!!!!

How do these morons keep their jobs. (oh, and the feds would never let this happen.)
You sir, are a brainless example of why abortion should be retroactive.

1)CA only gives them 7 million a year for power, illegal aliens cost AZ over 2.7 BILLION dollars a year.
2)the feds have ZERO say in who a power company sells their power to. Only how it is connected and what they can charge.

Bravo to AZ, and they have just earned my $$$. I called this morning and cancelled my trip to disneyland late summer, and I plan on going to AZ and hang out with friends. I think I might send a letter or two out and let disneyland know why I am not spending money there.
Old 05-19-2010, 07:46 PM

Car Info: New Government Motors SUV!
Originally Posted by Paul@dbtuned
If you can't afford it or produce it yourself, you do not deserve it.
Be it power, water, or food.
LA/California, et al, is a classic case of NIMBYism.

The only thing that fix California is pain and suffering.
I agree to a certain extent. If you can't provide an essential something for yourself and decide to bite the hand that feeds like in this particular case, then yes you deserve what's coming to you.

However, I'm sure you Paul (or anyone really) don't produce your own food, electricity, running water, medicine, gasoline, etc.

If everybody hated you (lets say just arbitrarily) and refused to sell you those things, do you believe you deserve to go without it?

Didn't mean to derail the the thread, but I just wanted to follow this train of thought (pun not intended).
Old 05-19-2010, 07:46 PM

Car Info: 05' WRX (Dirty Black)
there is NO WAY az would stop SELLING electricity to what is probably one of its biggest customers. money talks, bull$hit walks.

that would be akin to saying U.S. businesses are going to boycott China because it's communist. riiiiiiiight...
Old 05-19-2010, 07:49 PM

Car Info: New Government Motors SUV!
Originally Posted by turfshark
there is NO WAY az would stop SELLING electricity to what is probably one of its biggest customers. money talks, bull$hit walks.

that would be akin to saying U.S. businesses are going to boycott China because it's communist. riiiiiiiight...
You use leverage anyway you can. If LA is trying to turn the screws to them economically, and they have the capacity to cut off some of LA's power to make them stop, why not?
Old 05-19-2010, 08:04 PM

Car Info: 2011 2.5i Spark Silver
Arizona would probably lose more money if la boycotts them than they would by selling their electricity to other states while cutting down on the amount they create. Which is why they would want to do this.
Old 05-19-2010, 08:07 PM

Car Info: with the blinkers on
Politically, it's suicide imho. If AZ chooses to refuse the sales of energy to CA--which they have every right to do--they:

1. hurt their own energy industry, which has to convert less natural gas to electricity, therefore hurting employment in AZ in the short run (and employment is already one our worst stats)

2. risk pissing off a lot more people than those in LA. I feel like the immigration issue is much different in Cali than in Az (in the halls and offices of our gov't) and because a number of important seats are up for election this November, politicians are unusually mum about it. But as sure as my *** is hairy and needs a tan, there will be some degree of flak to catch for this. It wouldn't surprise me if the whole state boycotted AZ if they actually cut LA's power.
Old 05-19-2010, 08:19 PM

Car Info: 05 wrx
Originally Posted by medicSTi

Live + Same Day Cable News Daily Ratings for May 18, 2010
P2+ Total Day
FNC – 1,248,000 viewers
CNN – 395,000 viewers
MSNBC – 451,000 viewers
CNBC – 214,000 viewers
HLN – 275,000 viewers
P2+ Prime Time
FNC – 2,367,000 viewers
CNN – 614,000 viewers
MSNBC –997,000 viewers
CNBC – 202,000 viewers
HLN –420,000 viewers

Just some food for though
thats beucase fox news got the hot girls! and CNN is second for brooke baldwin.
Old 05-19-2010, 08:20 PM

Car Info: 05' WRX (Dirty Black)
Originally Posted by Superglue WRX
You use leverage anyway you can. If LA is trying to turn the screws to them economically, and they have the capacity to cut off some of LA's power to make them stop, why not?

do people really believe this will happen? the economic and political ramifications alone are mind boggling. but lets look at a more basic level. you do know that there are more than just homes in l.a. right? police stations, hospitals, govt buildings (state and federal) transportation, etc. do you think they will just let them run on generators?

Last edited by turfshark; 05-19-2010 at 08:23 PM.

Quick Reply: Arizona to Los Angelis: "**** with the bull, get the horns."