ARGH! (WRX smashed!)

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2003, 04:19 PM

Car Info: Not a WRX any more . . .
ARGH! (WRX smashed!)

It seems no fair that the calender year hasn't even caught up with my car's model year, and it's at the body shop waiting for parts from Subaru . . .

I'm in Chicago, my wife called around noon to let me know some guy in a pickup rear-ended the WRX this morning. (Her boss, who loves the car, said, "It was blue, how could he not have seen you?") Someone else stopped to help them get off the road and to tell the cops that it was the pickup's fault, it sounds like he just spaced out and didn't notice that traffic had stopped. The exact same thing happened to the vehicle that the WRX replaced, so I'm starting to think getting rear-ended is an inevitable part of driving on SFBay area highways.

No pictures, she had already called the insurance company, looked on i-club for recommeded body shops, and dropped it off before she called. It doesn't sound too bad . . . but I don't think she really wanted me to ever see or know how bad it was. She just thought it better that I never see the car in that condition, which is probably right.

So if any of you saw a wrecked Blue 04 WRX wagon somewhere between Fremont and Cupertino . . . how bad was it? No, wait, I don't want to know.
Old 11-17-2003, 04:29 PM
Former Vendor

Car Info: Evo X
i take my car to carmat collision down at santa cruz. it's a way but excellent work!

Matthew Koue
1650 Mansfield Street
Santa Cruz, CA 95062
831-464-0338

and I am sorry to hear what happened. at least your wife is okay.
Old 11-17-2003, 04:57 PM

Car Info: 2003 Silver WRX Sedan, 1982 Corvette Collectors Ed.
I was rear ended a few weeks ago. These aint cheap to fix.

From the ouside all you see is two dents in the bumper and a bent trunk lid. Also, the front bumber was cracked...

So far the estimate is $4,700.00 for the body alone. I think it may have tweaked a tranny mount, so that will be more $$.

I hope it wasn't to bad, and am glad to hear (or so it is implied) that she is OK.

Good luck.

--Robb
Old 11-17-2003, 05:50 PM
Chewwwwy

Car Info: Random, yet well planed selection of jdm cult cars
glad your wife is ok, sorry to hear about the car.
Old 11-18-2003, 08:55 AM

Thanks all. Yes, my wife was fine, the first I heard of the whole thing was how worried she was about the car . . .

It sounds like the pickup's bumper went a little over the WRX's, so even though it was a pretty low speed collision there was a lot of body panel damage. The bumper needs to be replaced, and probably the hatch (dented but it sounds like it's still functional?) and the right rear side panel needs paint. Everything is covered by insurance. I don't recall what our deductable is, but I seem to recall (not the first time we've been run into) that usually when it's the other guy's fault, his insurance covers that too.

She said she saw recommendations for a place called Tommy's in Hayward? So the car is there now, waiting for parts. I'm going to try and see it later this week when I get back.
Old 11-18-2003, 09:08 AM
Dahveed aka Robin Hood

Car Info: (RIP) '04 STi Silver
Panel Craft
2828 San Pablo Ave
Berkeley, CA 94702-2204
Phone: (510) 548-0815

Brilliant work, talk to owner Dave Habu
Old 11-18-2003, 09:29 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2003 PSM STi
Originally posted by dahveed
Panel Craft
2828 San Pablo Ave
Berkeley, CA 94702-2204
Phone: (510) 548-0815

Brilliant work, talk to owner Dave Habu
isnt that the place that painted your car David? Black paint is tough to spray well.....but your car looked really nice! especially when it was freshly waxed, and the paint actually MATCHED!.....(Lafayette BBQ)

-Ted :banana:
Old 11-18-2003, 09:57 AM
Dahveed aka Robin Hood

Car Info: (RIP) '04 STi Silver
true, gracias ted!
Old 11-21-2003, 10:03 AM

I saw my car today. It's not as bad as I had feared, looks like mostly body panel damage but probably nothing severe/structural. Probably wouldn't have been much damage beyond the bumper if the bumpers had met up. There ought to be a special lane for pickups and semis and other vehicles with bumpers that are higher than a car's. Just one lane, so it's always full and really slow. Maybe we'd have a few less SUVs around then.

-- Brian, who drove a 4WD pickup and would have been stuck in that lane until he replaced it with the WRX a few months ago.