Argh! Stupid Speeding Ticket

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2008, 09:22 AM

Car Info: 03 WRX --> 07 STI --> 10 Cayman S
Argh! Stupid Speeding Ticket

Ok so it was 3:30 AM this morning. I was coming home to Hercules from SF to drop off my g/f. Most of the way, I was cruise controlling at 75 MPH. So, having worked that day, meeting my g/f via bart, doing all sorts of ****, I was tired as hell, pretty much I was just ready to crash (as in knock out) when I got home. So I make it to Pinole, roads are relatively quiet, and I just want to get the hell out of the freeway, so I slam to 90. Once I exit, I notice there's a police behind. Well pulls my *** over. First, he tells me how fast I'm going, then asks if I was drinking and gives me the finger test (haha). And I was hoping against hope that he would understand my case, that it was 1. LATE 2. Coming from SF to drop off my g/f so I was tired. I was being as cooperative and honest as I can. SO I told him, yeah, I was going that fast cause I'm tired and I was trying to finish the last stretch of freeway. And he kept emphasizing that I was drinking (I guess my eyes were bloodshot) and made me get out of the car, and made me do the breathelizer, even commenting when I exhaled from my mouth to his hand, "I definitely smell the cigarettes and alcohol", and I actually did smoke on the way home. (Don't worry no DUI case here, passed with flying colors) So, I get slapped with a 94 ticket. ****... Well this is my first speeding ticket, but my second offense in exactly 12 months (rolling stop signs). I know my chances of winning, are nil. But do I have a chance of getting the fine reduced you think? Luckily, no modifications in my car (yet). What do you guys think my estimated fine will be? Will I get my license suspended? What is my expected insurance increase will be?

But all in all... Lesson very well learned. Also might sound lame, but how should I explain to my parents the ticket without them going beserk and possibly strangling me (got those stereotypical Asian parents), so far they're paying for my insurance.

Last edited by chinoyboi; 07-25-2008 at 09:29 AM.
Old 07-25-2008, 09:35 AM

Car Info: 2005 WRX
Do a written Declaration Trial. Form TR205 "Its not what you know, its what you can prove"
Old 07-25-2008, 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by strider327
Do a written Declaration Trial. Form TR205 "Its not what you know, its what you can prove"
Okay, well I did admit I was going over 90 MPH. And the officer was pacing me, so he had no radar gun or laser gun. I'm just trying to get my ticket reduced, not eliminated (my chances are already slim).
Old 07-25-2008, 09:42 AM

Car Info: 2002 MBP WRX
DON'T mess with that Written Declaration BS. The officer does not have to write back, he can simply show up without you there, say what happens and the judge will side with him.

You're lookin' at a $235 ticket, you'll see an increase of $0.00 on your insurance if you can take traffic school. I had a similar case, fought it by written declaration with a damn good case, but the judge sides with the cop. My predicament got worse than it should.
Old 07-25-2008, 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by nkghost
DON'T mess with that Written Declaration BS. The officer does not have to write back, he can simply show up without you there, say what happens and the judge will side with him.

You're lookin' at a $235 ticket, you'll see an increase of $0.00 on your insurance if you can take traffic school. I had a similar case, fought it by written declaration with a damn good case, but the judge sides with the cop. My predicament got worse than it should.
When I first saw the PDF, I just went $I'm going to hope for a $235 ticket, that's pretty manageable on my salary, but definitely a dent. I don't think I qualify for traffic school because my last ticket was fairly recent, exactly a year ago. So I think I might go to court to plead with the judge to allow me to go to traffic school
Old 07-25-2008, 09:52 AM

Car Info: 2007 Subaru Impreza
right when u said 3:30 AM i knew it... i got 2 tickets after 2 am and the reason i got a speeding ticket was cuz my car had an after market exhaust"too loud" he said my car seemed fast i showed him my engine nothing but stock.. made him feel kind of stupid... the funny thing is same **** happen with me except i wasn't smoking or drinking made me blow twice in to the breathalyzer he thought the first time i just blew from the breath i had in my mouth already i was like wtf .. but i didnt feel like fighting my ticket i just paid it

good luck with that ticket u should defiantly fight that ticket in court.. they might reduce... it tell em u had work u were sleepy trying to get home before u fall asleep behind the wheel and crash.. and or endanger lives make something up
Old 07-25-2008, 09:53 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: '00 BRP RS Sedan / '04 PSM FXT (RIP)
Definitely go to court and try pleading with the judge. I've had my fines reduced probably 80% of the time and was able to take traffic school again even though I'd done it 14 or 15 months earlier. Good luck!

-Brian
Old 07-25-2008, 09:54 AM

Car Info: 2000 Tacoma Pre-Runner 4 Cyl.
Did you go to traffic school for the stop sign violation? If so you can ask the judge to grant you a 2nd chance and allow you to do Traffic School again. From what I have heard you are allowed to go to TS twice in less then 18 months, so look into that. GL

-Gio
Old 07-25-2008, 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by East Bay STI
Did you go to traffic school for the stop sign violation? If so you can ask the judge to grant you a 2nd chance and allow you to do Traffic School again. From what I have heard you are allowed to go to TS twice in less then 18 months, so look into that. GL

-Gio
Well I actually forgot to mention this... I got my first ticket like... 2 or 3 years ago for rolling a stop sign, which I went to TS for. Then I got another ticket like 16 months later for rolling a stop sign again (last year), and I didn't go to TS cause I wasn't eligible and I didn't have time to fight it in court cause I was in school already and it was already a ***** to go back and forth. So this is my 3rd ticket in 3 years.
Old 07-25-2008, 10:15 AM

Car Info: 07 specB
god damn blueberries and cherries! and if he hit u for 90+, its more than $235...i got hit for 97mph in a 65mph and it was $400+! i plead not guilty when a cop had no radar on me based on the fact that although his speedo was calibrated, he was not a machine that could tell exact speed and should have been using his radar and still lost, but the fine was dropped....

BUT what it really comes down to...(coming from someone that has literally been in court over 10 times no BS) :

the CAL court system will FU*K u regardless...there is no justice in a system designed to generate revenue...plain and simple.

pay the ticket, take traffic school and mod ur car to outrun his ***** *** next time! hehe just playin...kinda
Old 07-25-2008, 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by scoo*B
god damn blueberries and cherries! and if he hit u for 90+, its more than $235...i got hit for 97mph in a 65mph and it was $400+! i plead not guilty when a cop had no radar on me based on the fact that although his speedo was calibrated, he was not a machine that could tell exact speed and should have been using his radar and still lost, but the fine was dropped....

BUT what it really comes down to...(coming from someone that has literally been in court over 10 times no BS) :

the CAL court system will FU*K u regardless...there is no justice in a system designed to generate revenue...plain and simple.

pay the ticket, take traffic school and mod ur car to outrun his ***** *** next time! hehe just playin...kinda
Was that $400 your first speeding offense? And how much did you get it to drop?
Old 07-25-2008, 10:25 AM

Car Info: 2007 WRX CGM
Definitely try to get it lowered. I got a previous speeding ticket lowered to $120 from $300 just by telling the judge that I was extremely tired and was trying to get home safely (by speeding) and admitted that it was stupid logic on my part.. etc etc. Played the poor college student card and even asked if it couldn't be lowered could I do installments.. lol. In the end judge waived the fine and said $120 for processing.

Main idea is to show the judge you're truly sorry and learned your lesson. Don't admit guilt but don't deny it either
Old 07-25-2008, 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by jondl
Definitely try to get it lowered. I got a previous speeding ticket lowered to $120 from $300 just by telling the judge that I was extremely tired and was trying to get home safely (by speeding) and admitted that it was stupid logic on my part.. etc etc. Played the poor college student card and even asked if it couldn't be lowered could I do installments.. lol. In the end judge waived the fine and said $120 for processing.

Main idea is to show the judge you're truly sorry and learned your lesson. Don't admit guilt but don't deny it either
Alright that's some pretty good advice +1! That's basically the honest truth though, and even the officers can vouch I looked very tired. They freakin did a alcohol test! But I'm really hoping to get it lowered and able to go to traffic school.
Old 07-25-2008, 11:18 AM

You know. I was looking at my ticket, this guy must've been a moron to start writing my height and weight in the "hair" and "eyes" section
Old 07-25-2008, 11:24 AM

Car Info: Nadda
Believe it or not and I've been pretty guilty but probably about 75% of drivers on the road after 2am are probably drunk. Probably standard to toss breathalyzers after that time.

Quick Reply: Argh! Stupid Speeding Ticket