Anyone use octane booster in their WRX? (formerly titled: ?)

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2006, 03:25 PM

Car Info: 05 WRX Wagon
So octaine booster, how is it different than buying 100 octaine with additivies already in it (besides the fact that 100 octaine already is refined to be well better/ cleaner gas, and 100 octaine is uber expensive)? Maybe I'm not clear on what octaine booster actually does vs 100 octaine gas. In my frame of reference I thought it was supposed to up the octaine level of gas (like if you screw up and buy lower than 91 grade gas for your wrx) and could potentially boost our cali crap gas to higher levels. Sometime have time to explain?
Old 02-22-2006, 04:32 PM
ish

Car Info: 2009 wrx & 2000 4runner
Originally Posted by subabu05
So octaine booster, how is it different than buying 100 octaine with additivies already in it (besides the fact that 100 octaine already is refined to be well better/ cleaner gas, and 100 octaine is uber expensive)? Maybe I'm not clear on what octaine booster actually does vs 100 octaine gas. In my frame of reference I thought it was supposed to up the octaine level of gas (like if you screw up and buy lower than 91 grade gas for your wrx) and could potentially boost our cali crap gas to higher levels. Sometime have time to explain?

First, it is spelled octane, there is no "i" in it.

octane is a rating that describes the fuels resistance to detonation. If you read the article that I posted earlier it explains it all about octane boosters.

Octane boosters use different chemicals that provide limited increases in octane rating. While they do work to a small extent, they don't work better than just using higher octane fuel from the start.

Here is the link to the article again in case you missed it the first time. It should answer some of you questions

http://www.idavette.net/hib/fuel/index.htm
Old 02-22-2006, 04:54 PM

Car Info: 05 WRX Wagon
oops, thanks for the repost, been a long day.
Old 02-24-2006, 08:22 PM

Car Info: http://kiva.org/invitedby/brett4254
From what my research has told me (and I did hi-performance stuff professionally for 8 years) octane boosters do not work. They can raise your octane slightly, for example the "104" typically raises the octane of 15 gal of fuel from 91 to 91.04

If you want higher octane (which you probably don't need) buy a few gallons of higher octane fuel, that will do far more for you than anything in a bottle.
FYI my former shop Speed Merchant carrys VP Racing Fuel "Motorsport 109" which is the highest octane unleaded on the market
MOTORSPORT 109
Produces more power than any other unleaded fuel. Recommended for higher boost applications with CRs up to 11:1 or naturally aspirated engines up to 13:1.

• Color: Clear
• Motor Octane: 101
• R+M/2: 105
• Research Octane: 109
• Oxygenated: Yes
• Specific Gravity: .722 at 60° F
It ain't cheap but it works.
Old 02-25-2006, 01:47 PM

Car Info: 2003 Impreza WRX Sedan Midnight Black Pearl
Originally Posted by Lowend
From what my research has told me (and I did hi-performance stuff professionally for 8 years) octane boosters do not work. They can raise your octane slightly, for example the "104" typically raises the octane of 15 gal of fuel from 91 to 91.04

If you want higher octane (which you probably don't need) buy a few gallons of higher octane fuel, that will do far more for you than anything in a bottle.
FYI my former shop Speed Merchant carrys VP Racing Fuel "Motorsport 109" which is the highest octane unleaded on the market
It ain't cheap but it works.
Have you tried Torco?
It works, and well.
Best example is run your race gas map on 91, hear pinging and get scared, add Torco and hear the purr of a happy engine. You won't question it then
Old 02-25-2006, 05:39 PM
Ash

Car Info: 02 WRX wgn full STI swap
The engineers at Torco keep insisting on calling the Mach Series Accelerator Unleaded a "race gas concentrate" and not octane booster. It is a secret formula of metals that Torco Racing Fuels has been using in thier racing fuels for years. Condensed into the cleanest burning and most complete burning elements that they use to increase octane in thier 110-120 octane race fuels. test data printed right on the can guarantees the following:

treatment ratio with 32ozs of Accelerator

-97 minimum octane race fuel treat 20 gallons of 93 octane minimum gasoline

-104 minimum octane race fuel treat 10 gallons of 93 octane minimum gasoline

-107 minimum octane race fuel treat 5 gallons of 93 octane minimum gasoline

I believe the only reason this is not very expensive is because it's produced by a racing fuel company... not an additive company. Again let me just say that I had more knock in my car when I filled up with 4.5 gallons of 100 unl than running 16oz of torco in a tank of 91.

When I asked about potential problems with sensors and things they assured me that the unleaded stuff is fine for 02 sensors and cats and only contains a tiny amount of mmt (common octane booster unsafe in large quanities).

Hope this info is helping.

Ash
Old 02-26-2006, 10:15 PM

Car Info: GT35R, Meth
I had a 96 octane tune done with a can of Torco in the tank. Although I experienced no detonation running leaner, I didn't actually make that much more power.

I've read plenty of stories of people running 100 tunes w/ Torco so I definately think Torco ups the detonation resistance as per more octane.

However, Torco may not actually produce more power. After doing a leakdown and discovering my compression was fine (so I wasn't producing less power b/c motor was bad) there are of course still many possibilities as why I'm not making more power on Torco of course, but in any case with 100 octane being relatively cheap, if you live close to Alamaden/foxworthy or RWC it's really a tossup whether to get Torco or just get 100.

I kept a few cans of Torco for my roadtrips to LA, Tahoe back when I had ECUtek but w/ the Cobb AP and ability to switch to a 91 octane map for longer trips, I just blend 100 now.
Old 09-12-2006, 01:54 PM

Car Info: 2003 Impreza WRX Sedan Midnight Black Pearl
Shoulda searched