Anyone machine slotted rotors

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2012, 12:56 AM

Car Info: Saab 9-2x Aero/Sti
Anyone machine slotted rotors

I seem to remember seeing a thread on here identifying a shop that would turn slotted rotors on their lathe. Can't find it now, but anyone know where I can get my slotted rotors trued up?

Didn't really want slotted rotors in the first place but no one had plain dba 5ks in stock when I bought them.
Old 02-03-2012, 09:25 AM
Former Sponsor

Car Info: WRX, EVO, MSP3
Pretty sure Krinkov had some slotted rotors turned a while ago, hit him up!
Old 02-03-2012, 09:29 AM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: A Laptop
Just had our shop turn some for my own car. They had no problem with it and they came out very well.

-- Ed
Old 02-03-2012, 09:35 AM

Car Info: 2006 STI
is it recommended to turn slotted rotors when you do the pads? I've read mixed answers. I have some Cryo treated slotted rotors.
Old 02-03-2012, 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by SkizzDawg
is it recommended to turn slotted rotors when you do the pads? I've read mixed answers. I have some Cryo treated slotted rotors.
I usually dont machine any of my rotors until they start to warp, or get hard spots. Mine developed some hard spots, and I would be ok with ignoring it cause they're fairly minor. But occasionally other people drive my car and my roommate commented that it freaked him out a little.
Old 02-03-2012, 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by SFO GTO
I usually dont machine any of my rotors until they start to warp, or get hard spots. Mine developed some hard spots, and I would be ok with ignoring it cause they're fairly minor. But occasionally other people drive my car and my roommate commented that it freaked him out a little.
Ok cool, thanks.
Old 02-03-2012, 02:19 PM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: A Laptop
Originally Posted by SkizzDawg
You should always resurface the rotors if you're changing to a different pad compound. Some compounds are not compatible with others and can cause noise and poor performance.

-- Ed
Old 02-03-2012, 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by EQ Tuning
You should always resurface the rotors if you're changing to a different pad compound. Some compounds are not compatible with others and can cause noise and poor performance.

-- Ed
When my pads go out I plan on replacing them with the same ones. My brakes are a little noisy but the stopping power is worth every bit of noise. The wife used to make fun of them until we were watching top gear and the GT3 was being tested, as it came to a stop at a light the brakes made the same sound as mine and tanner explained why. I looked at her asshe looked at me "Ok OK i believe you, they are supposed to do that"
Old 02-03-2012, 02:43 PM
General Pimpin'

Car Info: MY04 aspen wrx wagon.
Only you can know what's up with your rotors.

Some folks drive like sissies or are just really easy on their brakes. You may be able to run pads without have the rotors cleaned up if you stick with the same pads.

Other folks not so much. If your rotors are warped, heat dimpled, scraped, etc.. I'd get them cleaned up so you can properly bed in your next set of pads.

You can usually get away with doing it twice to rotors before they get to far gone and you loose too much stroke on the piston or the rotors are just too thin. (Depending)

So it's up to you.
Old 02-09-2012, 05:46 PM

Anyone have any suggestions on a place. No one local wants to do em. Fairfield is a bit far, but I'm almost ready to go that route
Old 02-09-2012, 07:39 PM

Car Info: 04 STi
It's possible, you just have to know the right person. I think its just a liability issue, they'll do it for you... and if something goes wrong, you don't sue them