Anyone know of a good Chinese restaurant to throw a banquet party in SF?

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2004, 01:23 AM

Car Info: Hilux Double Cab with a Dishka on top
Alex, which restaurant in Alameda? I'm always in that area.
Old 12-06-2004, 01:49 AM
Admin v2.0

Car Info: 02 Black Legacy GT
China House on Park St
Old 12-06-2004, 02:59 AM

Car Info: baby blue TRICK STAR on pink TUFF II's (MIA) =(
young kid is pretty on point about the Chinese food scene in the Bay Area. VVVVVVVVV I'd co-sign on pretty much all of what he said except for Parc HK in Sunnyvale---never been there.

Oh, I guess I have one other addendum...IMO, Canton Teahouse's food quality fell off hard after they switched managment/ownership a few years ago.

Originally Posted by Choku Dori
Canton Teahouse is a good value.

To be honest, if I were to put on a banquet, I'd do at one of the upscale Hong Kong-style Chinese seafood restaurants on the peninsula. ABC Seafood in Foster City, **** Yuen in Millbrae, Koi Palace in Daly City, and Parc Hong Kong in Sunnyvale come to mind (there's also the original Parc HK on Geary and 17th, but parking's a be0tch there too hehe). I'd also suggest Ton Kiang and Yank Sing in the City, but there prices are pretty high because they like to cater to rich white clientele instead of Chinese folks (
Old 12-06-2004, 06:43 AM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by TurnWRX
Last time I was there for a wedding banquet, it tasted pretty good

Our party was pretty large, it took up both the first and second floor. Perhaps they didn't deal with the size well, but some of our food was bitter and the fried food was soggy from the getgo.

:banana:
Old 12-06-2004, 08:22 AM

Car Info: 14 Mazda3 sGT, SOLD 12/26: 00 2.5RS Sedan
Ohh...this thread is somewhat helpful on picking out a dim sum place. I have a couple friends visiting from So Cal for Mac World a month from now. One of them wants to hit up a good dim sum spot to see what Nor Cal's got.
Old 12-06-2004, 03:26 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Corvette Z51
Originally Posted by Group B
has anyone ever gone to or heard about the Golden Dragon Restaurant on Washington St. in S.F.?
Ah yes, the infamous Golden Dragon Restaurant

Home of the "original" Triad war hehe. If you didn't know, back in the '60s there was a Triad shooting there where about a dozen or so people were gunned down in the restaurant. What happened was, one group of Triads got false info that a rival faction was eating dinner at the Golden Dragon. So these Triads armed themselves to the teeth, kicked the front door in, and came in guns blazing. The hostess freaked and told everyone to hit the deck, but unfortunately, she told everyone in Cantonese. The result? A bunch of white folks and Japanese American law students were gunned down over dinner. All the Chinese speaking people survived, and there were no rival Triads there to shoot back either. The place was a mess afterwards, bullet holes and blood everywhere!

Fast forward 30 odd years later, the place still has its tradmark golden wallpaper and the food still sucks just as much as it did back in the Triad Wars days
Old 12-06-2004, 03:36 PM
General Pimpin'

Car Info: MY04 aspen wrx wagon.
Originally Posted by Imprezzy
Ohh...this thread is somewhat helpful on picking out a dim sum place. I have a couple friends visiting from So Cal for Mac World a month from now. One of them wants to hit up a good dim sum spot to see what Nor Cal's got.
for good dim sum you can go to yank sing's or Ton Kiang in the richmond of geary.

For large parties. I'd say go to canton or to henry's. Henry's has a back room that could do like 30 or more and if you set it up I'd bet they could hold more. The place is not small....and the food is good. Especially the Mongolian Beef.
Old 12-06-2004, 03:38 PM
General Pimpin'

Originally Posted by Choku Dori
Ah yes, the infamous Golden Dragon Restaurant

and the food still sucks just as much as it did back in the Triad Wars days
hence all of the white people eating there. lol.
Old 12-06-2004, 03:47 PM

Car Info: '09 accord, '14 2 seater chevy
Originally Posted by OneManArmy
hence all of the white people eating there. lol.
Even me being a white guy, I use the color in the crowd as a good authenticity and quality control. Lots of white folks? Find the next place to eat lol.

Last week one of my friends brought me to a supposed "GREAT" pho joint, we walked through the door and almost everyone was white with the exception of a lone viet chic in the corner with a nasty look on her face. I decided to try it anyhow and ended up with the same look the chic had lol.
Old 12-06-2004, 03:53 PM
General Pimpin'

Originally Posted by illusion
Even me being a white guy, I use the color in the crowd as a good authenticity and quality control. Lots of white folks? Find the next place to eat lol.

Last week one of my friends brought me to a supposed "GREAT" pho joint, we walked through the door and almost everyone was white with the exception of a lone viet chic in the corner with a nasty look on her face. I decided to try it anyhow and ended up with the same look the chic had lol.
you want to talk pho...I'm your man. I eat it a minimum of once a week. Generally twice. My room mate sometimes up to 4 times a week.

Of the people I know.....best to BAIC guys to talk to are me and aaron (international B).

though I know a BAIC member's family owns My Tho in newark...don't know here name though.

I'll probably be there tonight.
Old 12-06-2004, 04:27 PM

Car Info: GDA
hahaha, hilariously informative thread! now i have to try some of the places you guys mentioned!
Old 12-06-2004, 04:33 PM

A really good dim sum restaurant was Lucky Fortune next to Kitaro's. It was cheap (most dim sum dishes ranged from 99 cents to $2.50) and everything was order only (u select what u want to eat on the paper menu). You could order 12 dim sum dishes and be out with less than $35.

But too bad they changed ownership about 3 years ago and it went downhill from there
Old 12-06-2004, 06:50 PM

Car Info: 2005 STi Silver
u should go to the Jumbo in Milbrae, the owner of that restaurant owned the orginal Jumbo on Noriega when it was good, so that place is good. The food their is great, usually I find all Chinese food the same but this place is really good. Check it out.
Old 12-06-2004, 08:05 PM

Car Info: MY00RS25
Go to Oakland instead. Parking has much suck in China Town SF.

edit: Oh yeah, you can go watch a "side shows" afterwards. Just remember to pack "heat".
Old 12-06-2004, 08:34 PM

Car Info: with the blinkers on
that's by San Leandro..... plus food sucks in Oakland
Peony - sucks
Silver Dragon - (Guy's daughter, I know... kinda cute, if I was three sheets to the wind) sucks
Oh wait, there's no other place to eat, except for the one that looks like an old Chinese place, except it's lit up in neon, that place sucks too (cuz of recent shootings of MORE triad members!)
Oh yeah, Tin's Tea House is ok, again I know the owner's daughter (way cuter than Silver Dragon, but still a squat asian peasant lookalike)

Quick Reply: Anyone know of a good Chinese restaurant to throw a banquet party in SF?