Anyone Know of Any Good Deals on DSL Service?? (Yahoo/AT&T preferred & NOT cable)

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2009, 08:38 AM

Car Info: Forester XTi
http://www.unwiredltd.com/

Is who I use, best value for the money IF you are in range of the towers. (and they don't care how many servers I run)

http://www.etheric.net/

For you in the south bay
Old 08-03-2009, 09:14 AM

Car Info: 2004 WRX STi, 1999 Forester L
Quick disclaimer. I work for Sonic.net so I'm obviously rather biased. That said, I think our offerings are pretty solid. We normally go toe to toe with ATT on price for normal DSL and if your in range for our new Fusion product it has some really amazing speed/price offerings. Feel free to check it out:
http://sonic.net/solutions/home/internet/

Cheers,
Matt
Old 08-03-2009, 09:46 AM

Car Info: '07 OBP STI
Your house should be pre-wired for comcast unless you have a really old house, so they wouldn't be snaking more lines in. I went from DSL to comcast and don't know why I didn't do it sooner. So much faster. Also, ATT would just randomly drop my DSL connection in the middle of the night and I'd have to reboot that stupid modem to get it going again.
Old 08-03-2009, 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by Ddraig
Your house should be pre-wired for comcast unless you have a really old house, so they wouldn't be snaking more lines in. I went from DSL to comcast and don't know why I didn't do it sooner. So much faster. Also, ATT would just randomly drop my DSL connection in the middle of the night and I'd have to reboot that stupid modem to get it going again.
The only problem I have with comcast, and why I moved away from it for now, is the 250gb cap on downloads a month. I do that in 15 days easy between the email server, video streaming, and remote server/VPN access from work.
Old 08-03-2009, 11:32 AM

Car Info: 2002 WRX, 2014 BRZ
Originally Posted by STi-FTW
Quick disclaimer. I work for Sonic.net so I'm obviously rather biased. That said, I think our offerings are pretty solid. We normally go toe to toe with ATT on price for normal DSL and if your in range for our new Fusion product it has some really amazing speed/price offerings. Feel free to check it out:
http://sonic.net/solutions/home/internet/

Cheers,
Matt
Do you happen to work for sonic's support team? I swear someone named Matt called my house the other day for some email forwarding issue
Old 08-03-2009, 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by perry753
Do you happen to work for sonic's support team? I swear someone named Matt called my house the other day for some email forwarding issue
I work in network operations so it wouldn't have been me, but there are a few other Matts with the company. The real question is if you got your email issue fixed?
Old 08-03-2009, 01:13 PM

Car Info: baby blue TRICK STAR on pink TUFF II's (MIA) =(
thx 4 the all the additional input!
::
i def hear y'all abou cable hi-speed much faster than reg DSL, but i really, really DO NOT want to go the cable route. yes, my place is pretty old (live in The City). There WERE cable lines already in the house (prev owner was a retiree, who had too much time on his hands & ended up ripping all the lines out, but left the holes in the corners+closets) It wouldn't be difficult to run a new cable line in & to a wireless router, BUT i just don't wanna do it....call me stubborn. lol also, comcast seems to keep raising their rates randomly (why i went w/DirectTV, in add to my pref in programming)
in short......again, i just DON'T wanna go w/cable hi-speed! i only do reg internet surfing at home....no movie, vid, uploads & very occasional music+movie downloads, so not really concerned w/SUPER fast DL+upload speeds.
right now, looking like i'm gonna just go w/AT&T. i'll check out Sonic, first, but don't have time to mess around searching thru all the other "fringe" providers. as long as i pay under $25/mo (long term not "intro" rates & get better than dial-up speed, i'll basically be happy!
btw, appreciate the offers to "hook me up" thru PM from a few members, but don't really like to deal thru the net w/"strangers" when it involves my personal 411, esp home address. hope y'all understand, but thx again!
Old 08-03-2009, 01:15 PM

I work in network operations so it wouldn't have been me, but there are a few other Matts with the company. The real question is if you got your email issue fixed?
Hey quick question for you, I need 2-4mb upload speed, 769k-1mb won't cut it for me. Does sonic have any plans for people like me that don't need a huge pipe, we just need a broader upload speed.
Old 08-03-2009, 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by Overbear
Hey quick question for you, I need 2-4mb upload speed, 769k-1mb won't cut it for me. Does sonic have any plans for people like me that don't need a huge pipe, we just need a broader upload speed.
I'm making the assumption you are talking about a residential product (we have symmetric business connections but they are a bit $$$). As of right now for residential services, we don't have more that 1M up yet. If you're in range for our Fusion product very shortly we may be able to deliver the uploads your looking for: http://www.dslreports.com/shownews/S...d-ADSL2-103701
Old 08-03-2009, 02:52 PM

Car Info: 2004 STi,sold.
I'll second Sonlc. They're known for good customer service.
Old 08-03-2009, 03:31 PM

Car Info: DGM 2011 WRX
Originally Posted by perry753
There's also a damn good chance of getting caught. I certainly hope you aren't lol.
Due to inherent flaws in the technology and the way your ISP operates their cable network it is VERY difficult for them to physically locate your modem on their network. It CAN be done, but the cost of your stolen bandwidth doesn't outweigh the effort spent to hunt you down and so no action is taken. Tens of thousands of customers would need to be disconnected one by one in order to find a modem off a single line, in all likelihood your isp simply does not have the resources or motivation to perform this task. That being said, don't give them motivation by raping the bandwidth. There is always a possibility they can find you. Realistically you can sleep easy as this is nothing new and people have been stealing service since the dawn of broadband.
Old 08-03-2009, 06:43 PM

Car Info: .
My internet at home has been painfully slow lately, how would one go about accelerating it? Provider is Astound.
Old 08-03-2009, 10:49 PM

Originally Posted by Spoolin415
My internet at home has been painfully slow lately, how would one go about accelerating it? Provider is Astound.
I don't want to derail this thread too far so it may be worth making another OT one for internet troubleshooting.

1. Has your internet always been "painfully slow" or is this a recent development?
2. Do you know what speed/service level you currently have?
3. Have you ran a speedtest lately? http://netspeed.stanford.edu/ is fairly neutral. So is http://www.dslreports.com/tools
4. Do you have a wireless router hooked up to your connection?
Old 08-04-2009, 01:31 AM

I'm making the assumption you are talking about a residential product (we have symmetric business connections but they are a bit $$$). As of right now for residential services, we don't have more that 1M up yet. If you're in range for our Fusion product very shortly we may be able to deliver the uploads your looking for: http://www.dslreports.com/shownews/S...d-ADSL2-103701
OOOhhhhhh, that might just do the trick, if I can get 12 down and 3 up, with 4 static, I would be set...crap that means redoing my MX records...