Anyone have a Skid Plate?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2005, 07:37 AM

Originally Posted by STIdevildog
Get a sheet of titanium.
If you have free sheets of Titanium, I will gladly make a skid plate out of titanium.

People are forgetting that I have lots and lots of very high strength/ high toughness CF, at no cost to me. I'm not some ricer that is into the look and trying to coat my engine bay with Carbon dress-up or replace the stock hood with a heavier "Carbon Fiber" version.

The stuff I have would probably not make the BEST rally plate, but braided CF would do a great job as a skid plate. A job I recently turned down would've had me designing/modeling braided carbon fiber shrouds for aircraft engines, replacing the current aluminum shrouds at a huge weight savings. If you can use it to contain exploding turbine blades, rocks are really not that big of a deal.

At least "CF will shatter" was edited out of one of the above posts. People saying that drives me nuts.

Nathan

Last edited by flesher; 06-25-2005 at 05:44 PM.
Old 06-24-2005, 09:10 AM
Yeah, You've Probably Never Heard Of Me.

Car Info: 345/30/19s
Originally Posted by flesher
If you have free sheets of Titanium, I will gladly make a skid plate out of titanium.

People are forgetting that I have lots and lots of very high strength/ high toughness CF, at no cost to me. I'm not some ricer that is into the look and trying to coat my engine bay with Carbon dress-up or replace the stock hood with a heavier "Carbon Fiber" version.

The stuff I have would probably not make the BEST rally plate, but braided CF would do a great job as a skid plate. A job I recently turned down would've had me designing/modeling braided carbon fiber shrouds for aircraft engines, replacing the current aluminum shrouds at a huge weight savings. If you can use it to contain exploding turbine blades, rocks are really not that big of a deal.

The least "CF will shatter" was edited out of one of the above posts. People saying that drives me nuts.

Nathan
yeah I dont think people in general realize how strong actual structural carbon fiber can be. Most people here are used to seeing cosmetic carbonfiber which is mostly resin which has NO structural benifit and maybe one layer of CF backed by fiberglass. I have a piece of F1 monocoque here thats fully autclaved and baked and reinforced with honeycomb core that you really would not be able to bust with a sledgehammer
Old 06-24-2005, 09:13 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: dangerous with a wrench
don't forget gang, the skidplate's benefit's aren't only for anti-bashing. Putting a nice smooth surface under your car has considerable aero benfits as well.
Old 06-24-2005, 09:15 AM
Yeah, You've Probably Never Heard Of Me.

Car Info: 345/30/19s
Originally Posted by platypus
don't forget gang, the skidplate's benefit's aren't only for anti-bashing. Putting a nice smooth surface under your car has considerable aero benfits as well.

thats what mine was for, I dont go off road, well not on purpose
Old 06-24-2005, 01:20 PM

Car Info: 2001 2.5rs
i have a primitive racing front skid plate for my gc8 you can use
Old 06-24-2005, 03:33 PM

Car Info: 05 STi
The titanium comes from my dads work and maybe on his next project he will have some extra sheets. I had a full 5ftx5ft sheet but we cut it in a bunch of pieces so I could practice tig welding. Structural carbon fiber takes time and money like the aeorspace and f1 teams have.
Old 06-25-2005, 01:31 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: dangerous with a wrench
Originally Posted by cleofis
i have a primitive racing front skid plate for my gc8 you can use
+1 for primitive. Mine's a 3/16" wrx version on the front. That thing is completely bomb-proof. Plus, Paul Eklund's a cool guy and a good supplier.
Old 06-25-2005, 04:21 PM

Car Info: 04wrx
Does anyone know a site where I can purchase one of these things or anyone willing to sell me theres., haha because just the other day, I hit some kind of boxey thing and it broke mine right off. I have zip ties holding it up right now hah

Thanks