Anyone good at Gran Turismo 3??

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2004, 04:01 PM

Car Info: with the blinkers on
Anyone good at Gran Turismo 3??

Ok I need some suspension help in Gran Turismo, I have an Mazda FC (Rx-7) it's FR and all that other good stuff, has about 300 hp. I got the full race suspension for the car and now I need to tune it, the setting I have right now seems to drift a lot, I have the rear slightly less stiff than the front, but I don't know much about suspension and Gran Turismo to tune it correctly, so I figured I'd post, for those who haven't played but have some input, I can change Spring rates, camber, Shock boun rebound, front and rear sway stiffness, and more I don't remember all of it.

On that note, I can't believe I'm abut to post Gran Turismo questions on a Subie forum.
Old 06-24-2004, 04:41 PM

Car Info: Mazda Protege '02 (Wishing protege has AWD and a H6 twin turbo)
Well lets just assume that your have alot of body roll on that rx7 (i dont even own this game)

So you want to prevent your car from sliding around too much.. I'll just use my super limited knowledge on how the stuff works to try and help you out

The sway bars will help prevent body roll as well as stifining up turning.
The shocks should be set nice and low and stiff for pavement or track.
I wouldn't really mess with the camber or toe. They should be fine with the setup in the game.

So our goal is to keep as much rubber on the road as possible. Stiffen up your sway bars and lower your suspension if it allows it. Make it a medium firm suspension kinda a 75% mark there should be at 50% now.

If you not in dirt the rebound shouldn't be an issue really.

Lastly driving technique, with as much hp as you got in that car flooring it around a corner is just obviously going to make the car slide ease up on the throttle until you can straighten it out and floor it on the out section.
Old 06-24-2004, 04:44 PM
NZO

Car Info: 996 Turbo
http://www.gtplanet.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=115
Old 06-24-2004, 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by RoadSpike
Lastly driving technique, with as much hp as you got in that car flooring it around a corner is just obviously going to make the car slide ease up on the throttle until you can straighten it out and floor it on the out section.
I use a style similar to toe-in technique, where I throttle/brake a lot, especially considering the buttons are basically go or don't go, with minimal sensitivity. but thanks for everyone's responses esp the one on the GTP forums
Old 06-24-2004, 09:13 PM

Car Info: '02 PSM WRX
well... usually for GT-3 it's not as real as roadspike thinks it might be. With 300 ponies, you may want to first, if you haven't already, get tires. Wheel spin in that game will create huge oversteeer. I'm not exactly the best at tuning cars, since i basically keep guessing and checking. Approx what is your suspension rates front/rear. For oversteer, put them harder on the front, and also do the same with the sways and shock bound/rebound. I've always liked my cars to have oversteer, so i'd leave those on 7 front and 8 rear. Also, do you have TCS and ASM on? If you've turned those off (yeah that's how a real car would work) turn them back on and tinker with them. For default on my cars, I put them on 2-3 ASM and 1-2 TCS. Another good thing, if you have the PS2 controllers, are to utilize the function of pressure control. If you've ever gotten bored of GT3 and had fun drifting, that's how i've learned to use the pressure control. With that, you won't spin your tires as much and lose as much traction in the rear.

Well good luck tuning, also if all that fails, gamefaqs might have some good tuning guides with real #s.
Old 06-24-2004, 09:28 PM

Car Info: 2001 Impreza 2.5RS(Ti)
What STi-owns-evo says about pressure sensitive buttons is a must. You don't have that much control over it, but there is a definite difference between mashing the button down and pressing it partially. If you hit the gas hard at the apex of a turn in a FR car, you'll definitely lose the rear end. But if you shift the weight smoothly the grip at the rear tires will increase.

I drive with TCS on 1, ASM off, the suspension stiff, but similar ratio f/r as default settings and my RSB at a higher setting than my front. Give it time and you'll learn how to control the car perfectly.
Old 06-24-2004, 09:54 PM

Car Info: blue 04 impreza wrx
suspension is not too difficult.

the golden rule is:
stiffer front than rear => more oversteer
stiffer rear than front => more understeer

i like to put my settings close to max (maybe 1-2 lvls away from max) in the front and 1 setting lower in the rear to get a lil oversteer for all things that have levels. the toe out changes the character a lot, .5+ in the back makes a pretty big diff from 0. i dont like playing w/ spring rates cuz if u mess it up, ull be bouncing off the track. ride height will lower ur center of gravity and spring rate will make ur suspension stiffer. just read the scrolling text on the bottom and use 'run and setting' to test wut u like. everyone has different styles and skills so dont just copy someone elses settings.
Old 06-25-2004, 12:51 AM

stiffer front than rear => more oversteer
stiffer rear than front => more understeer

That's backwards from real life. But it's a game.
Old 06-25-2004, 12:53 AM

PS you might try playing with diff settings. Higher initial and accel numbers will keep it from oversteering when you are on the throttle. TC does that too.
Old 06-25-2004, 10:03 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: subaru
and why are you not drifting the impreza? all you need is light engine mods and the stage two suspension and that car drifts great around laguna seca course
Old 06-25-2004, 10:53 PM

thx for all the responses
Old 06-25-2004, 11:30 PM

oh I don't have enough credits to buy a suby....YET. 22B!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quick Reply: Anyone good at Gran Turismo 3??