Anyone go to cal poly SLO? Or know about it?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2007, 11:12 AM

Car Info: 2001 Impreza 2.2L
Go to CP SLO, you won't regret it. It's the top CSU, and a very prestigious school at that.

If you have the ability to make it past CP, then you will do just fine.

That said, a lot of my friends are going to city college of SF next year ONLY because they didn't do well in high school. Their accumulative GPA was only a 2.0-2.5, enough to only get to the lower rank CSU's. Some of their SAT scores were crap, period. Now, you got in to CP, why not take the offer?

But it's really up to you. What do you want to do past college, grad school, etc.

Last edited by dSpec; 04-22-2007 at 11:15 AM.
Old 04-22-2007, 11:26 AM

Car Info: 2006 WRB Impreza WRX
Where do you think someone with a 3.3 GPA and a 1680 on the SAT's should be able to get into?
Old 04-22-2007, 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by DeZt
Ok, an update!
So i went to visit today and they said the dorms were all sold out already and there is going to be no waiting list. (In previous years it took about two weeks to fill up but this year it filled up right when the housing applications were open, which is ridiculous because the open house was after the housing applications were open, and thus all the dorms were already sold)

Do you think i should go and live in off campus housing? I think that it won't be the same because there will be no "first year connection" or the other socializing program that's for freshman that is included at dorms.
What do you guys think? It's either cal poly or deanza.

I need to hurry up and make a decision because the applications are due May 1st and the off campus housing is filling up fast. Stenner Glen (one of the nicer ones) is already filled and has a pretty long waiting list.

Thanks for all your advice and opinions!

dude you are crazy slo is amazing and one of the best places there is,

if you live off campus just live close to mustang village (its a pile of **** to live in tho) and around campus bottle somewhere .........just dont go to the other end of town make sure you can walk everywhere and are in the main area. If you really need help knowing main area i can further assist you.

Take this from someone who loved his stay there but coulda had a way better time if i'd live closer to downtown or parties.
Old 04-24-2007, 04:17 PM

Cal Poly is an excellent school and San Luis is a great place to live. I considered staying in SLO after graduating, but there is not a huge job market in my field down there.

That's too bad that the dorms already filled up, they're building a large amount of new on campus housing but I don't think it will be ready for next year. Coincidentally, I also didn't get into the dorms and lived at Stenner Glen my first year. If Stenner is also full that does make it difficult to get in on the "dorm experience", which you might want to take into consideration in your choice. I'm not talking about the party experience, but the much larger experience of integrating with the school and living on your own for the first time (finding a party is not a problem).

At Cal Poly you start taking classes in your major during your first quarter at the school. Changing majors is definitely possible, there is some information on changing into and out of the College of Science and Mathematics at the following link.

http://www.calpoly.edu/~cosamac/

Honestly, if your core concern is the major then you should call up the College of Science and Math and talk to someone there to get the real story.

My brother also graduated from SLO, he has a bachelors in Biology and is now working at a Biotech company in Southern California. Cal Poly specializes in undergraduate education and is not a big research institution like some UCs are, but there are still research possibilities. My brother spent most of his senior year doing a research project with one of his professors and used the experience for his senior project.

Did the people who told you SLO was "boring and crappy" actually go to the school? Everybody I know who went there loved the experience. Granted, it's not a huge party school like Santa Barbara or Chico, but if that the goal then it's kinda missing the point.

Oh, and Cal Poly is nowhere near $30,000 per year for tuition, more like $5k for the year.

Good luck with you decision! Make sure you visit all of your options to get a feel for the school, and talk to the departments, they should be more than willing to give you all the information you'll need.

- Matt
Old 04-24-2007, 05:08 PM

Car Info: 2006 evo IX
Originally Posted by chocolate
Apply to Cal-tech in Pasadena, they are top notch in science and mathematics. Cal Poly is considered a Csu, but that doesn't mean anything in comparison really (at least as an undergrad). UC's are known for their research faculty and depts. UC's really count when you are doing post-grad work because they will have the funding and faculty to accomodate, thus most UC's offer doctorate degrees rather than ma/ms.

G'luck in college!
I guess you really didnt read his post

1. He already got accepted to SLO, meaning he is done with the application process

2. He doesnt like physics. Why would he want to go to cal tech

TO the OP

GO to SLo, its a great school. Just because you didnt get the major you wanted doesnt mean you cant switch later. Since you are already accepted as an engineering major, switching to biology should be easy. Dont worry about the major classes, just try to take general ed classes/bio classes/etc your first year and start talking to a counselor immediately about switching majors

I would without a doubt go to SLO over CC then Santa Clara. SLO is cheaper and has a better reputation, don't pass that up!
Old 04-24-2007, 05:09 PM

Car Info: 2006 evo IX
Originally Posted by slow04wrx
dude you are crazy slo is amazing and one of the best places there is,
\.
Werd..I dont see why anyone would pick a CC over SLO
Old 04-24-2007, 07:41 PM

Car Info: 07 WRX STI Limited Edition
Thumbs up

My ex- went there for Computer Engineering becuase it is in the top five schools in the US for CS. I lived there one year with him and I had fun in SLO.

I made it to the beach atleast once a week and had fun at the bars. The campus is beautiful and since it's a state school he paid A LOT less than I did to get a similar education at a UC.

I would recommend that you call and talk to someone in the engineering dept.