Anyone go to cal poly SLO? Or know about it?

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2007, 09:16 PM

Car Info: 2011 OBP STi
Anyone go to cal poly SLO? Or know about it?

I was wondering if you guys could point me in the right direction. I got accepted to Cal Poly SLO but i don't really know if i want to go.
From what i hear they start major classes right away (for freshman) and i didn't get the major i wanted.
Does anyone know anyone that goes there or went there?
I was accepted into biochemical engineering but i really don't like physics, so i was going to switch to biology but i can't get any information about major changes. There is no information about it on their website and basically they are getting too many e-mails so i can't contact them.
Anyone know if Cal Poly is a good school for science majors? I know their architecture and engineering programs are pretty prestigious.

Anyone have any positive experiences with SLO because everyone i know has told me about how boring and crappy (for lack of better word) the school is but i have yet to hear from someone that actually liked it there.

Sorry about such a long post.
Old 04-01-2007, 09:39 PM

Car Info: 2001 Impreza 2.2L
I'd go there.

I applied but I didn't get accepted, so I'm just going to SJSU for mechanical engineering in the fall.
Old 04-01-2007, 09:54 PM

Car Info: 2006 WRX - Grey
Cal poly is renowned for thier mathematics and science departments. They strive to rival MIT. Great school but expensive as hell, what they charging you for tuition, like $30000/year?

Id say if you got accepted to this good school you shouldn't waste a golden opportunity. Dont be a dumbass douche - go to school.

Did you know on average a college graduate makes $10,000/year MORE than a highschool graduate?
Old 04-01-2007, 09:56 PM

I think it's less than UCs, it's around 20,000.
Old 04-01-2007, 10:36 PM

Car Info: '14 Cayman
like pretty much anything you do, what you put in, is what you get out of it. you can have a great college experience at a "crappy" school by makin new friends, joining clubs, etc. you can also have a horrible experience at a great school by alienating yourself from the activities. go to the school, check out the campus, take a tour and see how you would feel. but back to the point, SLO is a good school. it has both norcal and socal influences
Old 04-01-2007, 10:41 PM

Car Info: WRX --> RX-8--〉E93
its the best state college, better than CSU SD and CSU LA. really good engineering department
Old 04-01-2007, 11:18 PM

Car Info: 2016 FXT
well what are ur other options if you dont go to cal poly?
Old 04-01-2007, 11:59 PM

Car Info: 2001 Impreza 2.2L
Did you get into any UC's? If not, Cal Poly is your top choice. You should be lucky that you got in.
Old 04-02-2007, 12:18 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2017 CWP WRX & 2007 SWP WRX
i got into poly for mechanical engineering and decided not to go, and 2 years later i dont regret my decision. i go to csus and have steered completely clear of math now lmao... i just had a feeling it wasnt going to be my cup of tea and im pretty sure i made the right decision. one of my buddys goes there, he likes it, but calc III has whooped his *** for the past three quarters lol.

your college experience will be whatever you put into it, almost regaurdless of where you go, to a certain extent
Old 04-02-2007, 01:02 AM

Car Info: '02 PSM WRX
Definitely depends on what your other options are. IIRC, SLO's Architechture and Engineering are their strong points. I go to Cal Poly Pomona, and I definitely didn't start with my major classes right away as they're pretty hard to get into since you register for classes much later than everyone else.

From what I've seen, SLO has a pretty decent campus life, and since it's in the middle of nowhere, there should be a lot of people who stay on campus on the weekends. (don't quote me on that though). I don't know if it's classified a commuter school though.
Old 04-02-2007, 09:09 AM

Car Info: 2006 STI CGM
SLO has got some hot *** chicks there. And its nice weather there. You know what that means.. bow-chica-bow-wow....

On another note. I used to go there all the time until one day when I got my fake ID taken at Albertsons there. SLO doesnt take kind to that type of activity. They threw the book at me. Threatened me with one year jail time, actually revoked my liscence for 3 years and I had to pay a $2000 fine. So be careful about using a fake ID, but enjoy the talent the warm weather and hot chicks have to offer.
Old 04-02-2007, 09:32 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: Legacy GT
I almost went there. I got accepted for Aerospace Engineering, but turned it down. The main reason I turned it down was because I kind of had a change of heart on what I wanted to major in. I know you can change your major there, but its not really as easy IIRC. I remember asking the tour guide when I was checking out the school (damn, that's almost like 10 years ago now) and I remember him saying it was pretty tough, and you can only really do it once. The transition year is tough because you've got to continue with some major courses from the outgoing major and pick up courses for the incoming major. And, it'll likely put you a few semesters behind unless the majors are similar enough. Where I ended up instead (UC Santa Barbara) I changed my major three times (Electrical Engineering->Mechanical Engineering->Computer Science) and I don't think that kind of experimentation would fly at CalPoly.

I have a couple of co-workers that went there, and they seemed to like it. Both were computer science and they seemed to enjoy the school and the city. I also had another friend from HS who went there for his vintners degree and he also really enjoyed SLO. I visited a few times too (Santa Barbara is only like 2 hours away) and it was fun. To be perfectly honest, every time I went to SLO, I liked it but knew I could never live there. Just a personal opinion. Otherwise, it was a lot of fun and looked like a great school.

BTW, the chicks at SLO are nice, but don't compare to Santa Barbara.

Last edited by Nick Koan; 04-02-2007 at 09:35 AM.
Old 04-02-2007, 09:34 AM

Car Info: Black On Black Wingless 05 STI
Chicks at SLO are OK.

Travel and S. to IV and you hit a pot of p gold.
Old 04-02-2007, 09:43 AM

Car Info: '03 WRX wagon, faster than walkin'
Engineering school is WAY more friendly than any other I've been to...I've atended multiple universities inclduing Oxford in the UK.

I did not attend SLO, but the engineer next to me did, and I knew of several others who also did. They all loved it, including a few that transfered from there because a job opportunity opend up.

If you are not going to be an engineer, then I can tell you that the food in the area is great and it's a nice place to live, but I don't know the quality of the school.

Whit
Old 04-02-2007, 03:45 PM

Thanks for all the comments. My other choice is to go to CC and then transfer to Santa Clara University for accounting. Maybe going to a community college will be a wiser choice for me because i'm not yet sure about what i want to do. And also i don't think i would survive doing biomedical engineering because i can't grasp physics.

Quick Reply: Anyone go to cal poly SLO? Or know about it?