Anyone ever train at Charles Gracie's gym in Daly City and/or the S.F. Judo Institute

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2005, 01:52 PM

Car Info: 05 STi
Originally Posted by brucelee
My friend Glock 21 said that martial arts are for suckers.
Yeah but what if you didn't have your Glock?

I agree with you man. The only reason I do martial arts is because I'm in the Army and I may actually have to use it one day.
Old 10-12-2005, 02:01 PM
Friendly Neighborhood Ogre

Car Info: GUNATICS.COM
Originally Posted by 1reguL8NSTi
Yeah but what if you didn't have your Glock?

I agree with you man. The only reason I do martial arts is because I'm in the Army and I may actually have to use it one day.

Then you go back after the fight and use it! lol

Im just kidding. My S/N isn't brucelee for nothing... I took various martial arts for years (Not crappy stuff like TKD or Karate... ). I agree with Juijitsu is one of the best arts to know in a real life fighting situation... but I also agree that it really lacks punching/kicking strikes that you would learn from arts like Wing Chun/Choy Lay Fut/Etc.

Its best to combine... it was the real Bruce Lee's fundimental method.
Old 10-12-2005, 02:29 PM

Car Info: WREX
Originally Posted by brucelee
Then you go back after the fight and use it! lol

Im just kidding. My S/N isn't brucelee for nothing... I took various martial arts for years (Not crappy stuff like TKD or Karate... ). I agree with Juijitsu is one of the best arts to know in a real life fighting situation... but I also agree that it really lacks punching/kicking strikes that you would learn from arts like Wing Chun/Choy Lay Fut/Etc.

Its best to combine... it was the real Bruce Lee's fundimental method.

This is true........You must combine fighting techniques work for your body type, and that allow you personally to use them to the best of your abilities. Remember - what works for others, may not work for you!

If you cannot lift your leg above your head, and it is physically impossible to do, then maybe Tae Kwon Do is not for you.......
Old 10-12-2005, 03:07 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Corvette Z51
brucelee is half right and half wrong IMHO
Glock 21 would own any grand mastah, that's true, but I think that traditional Chinese kung fu methods are lacking in many respects. Wing Chun's sticky hands method is overcome if good distance is maintained, and is neutralized at close range by elbows, knees, clinching, and grappling. Choy lay fut's low stances are effective in stability and preventing yourself from being knocked over, and the strikes are fast, but the low stance places a fighter in a very vulnerable position and can limit mobility on less physically fit practitioners. I'd also argue that the striking of both styles aren't poweful enough to hurt a conditioned opponent badly enough to win a fight, and the strikes in those styles that CAN do big damage are too hard to pull off practically and/or consistently. That's what I gathered when I worked with those two styles, just my 2 cents Probably doesn't help that I'm proportionally a big(ger) guy haha.

As for close range striking, it seems to me that not enough emphasis is placed on elbow striking here in the States. The elbow's shape allows even at close range concussive strikes that also cut the face very easily. Granted, there are certain positions where it can't be used, and that where I want jujutsu to take over

Oh, and aren't there like 7 Gracie gyms in the Bay Area along? LoL
Old 10-12-2005, 03:11 PM
VIP Member

Oh, and back to BJJ... I've heard that the takedowns aren't as forceful as say in wrestling or even judo. Is that an old issue that's already been remedied by modern evolutions of the style, or is it that BJJ just wants any old takedown to get the fight to the floor? Thanks
Old 10-12-2005, 03:41 PM

Regarding Wing Chun's sticky hand method... That's not all there is to wing chun... Wing chun, for me anyway, I think was a GREAT first art to build off of. I'm really tall so distance fighting was never an issue. I have a reach advantage over ANYONE, however, at close range I had some problems. Wing Chun took care of that all together. It taught me how to counter close range attacks with more than devistating blows while still blocking... So esentially you throw a punch/elbow/etc with one hand and intercept their strikes with another hand.

I later moved onto Choy Lay Fut which was awesome... it let me take advantage of my size to the fullest. I would destory anyone in my competition class with strikes I learned in this class combined with wing chun style defenses at close range.

at this point I thought I was unstoppable (yeah I was younger and dumb)... Until I was humbled by a fellow named Brian. He had a black sash in wing chun as well as a very advanced understanding of grappling. He pnw3d my *** one day in class... So much that I realized that I needed to gain more than just striking knowledge. I then studied Aikido for about a year... The basics are mastered, using your opponents weight/force against them. I think it was the best move I that I made in the martial art world. Combining Wing Chun/Close range, Choy Lay Fut/Distance, and grappling made me a well rounded fighther. I was respected by my classmates which meant more than any sash or belt will.

Hope that makes sense.
Old 10-12-2005, 03:57 PM

You have a reach advantage over SHAQ and Kareem?
Old 10-12-2005, 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by unstble
You have a reach advantage over SHAQ and Kareem?

Hahhah, almost anyone.
Old 10-12-2005, 04:40 PM

I think anyone who is involved in fighting these days knows that you have to cross train.
Gone are the days where someone who only did one style could take on all comers. You have
to know some ground work, and some striking.
Old 10-12-2005, 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by Choku Dori
Oh, and back to BJJ... I've heard that the takedowns aren't as forceful as say in wrestling or even judo. Is that an old issue that's already been remedied by modern evolutions of the style, or is it that BJJ just wants any old takedown to get the fight to the floor? Thanks
I think it's the later, that any old takedown is enough to get the party started

Judo spends a lot of time on perfecting the throw, Jiu-Jitsu starts with the throw,
then keeps going. All the throws in Judo are part of Jiu-Jitsu, but the time is
not spent perfecting them. I think more modern Jiu-Jitsu practitioners are taking
a page from the wrestlers and using the big slam when they can pull it off, but like
you said above, the work is spent on the ground with not as much spent on getting
there. What ends up is that the throw is further from prefection, so the landing
might not be as hard.

And all schools are different, I can only speak for the ones that I've trained at.

And I think there are at least 7 jiu-jitsu schools in the Bay Area, depending on how
wide you consider "Bay Area". Charles, Ralph, Cesear and Carley Gracie all have
schools as well as other black belts.
Old 10-12-2005, 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by Choku Dori
As for close range striking, it seems to me that not enough emphasis is placed on elbow striking here in the States. The elbow's shape allows even at close range concussive strikes that also cut the face very easily. Granted, there are certain positions where it can't be used, and that where I want jujutsu to take over
(on topic almost...)

Speaking of elbows and fighting, did you see the one from the last UFC?
...Dammit, I can't remember who it was that was fighing now...
It was thrown by the guy on the bottom. He was pushing away the head of the
guy in his guard, then let it go and threw the elbow. I would say by the cut that
was opened up it was a good elbow.

And did you see Mondays Ultimate Figher on Spike? Luke threw plenty of
elbows. Granted he could have used a bit more technique, but he was
making up for that with frequency
Old 10-12-2005, 09:33 PM

Yeah, the UFC is a good show to give a person some insight on how the mechanics of the sport works.
Old 10-13-2005, 11:25 AM
VIP Member

brucelee: that's pretty good insight. Like they say, what works and doesn't work is different for everyone person. I particularly like Muay Thai because it essentially covers everything necessary for a standup game, including a fairly complex yet subtle system of grappling and clinching. What Muay Thai DOES lack is obviously a ground fighting element, and its takedowns are VERY weak. Hence my interest in BJJ.

leftwo: more good info! BTW, did I see that there are judo courses on the Charles Gracie website? If so, I guess that would take care of hard takedowns
As for UFC, I've been a little behind. Been renting Pride videos instead haha. I guess it's approaching the latter part of the season for the Ultimate Fighter so I'll tune in again. Last season was the same: lame fights early on and some real wars towards the end. Was anyone else disappointed at how lame Jorge was a few weeks ago?
Old 10-13-2005, 12:02 PM

I have some friends whom were never interested in martial arts before the UFC shows came on tv, but now they watch intently, and want to enroll in martial arts schools. When the show first came on, I believe they had normal everyday looking guys on the shows, and some of my boys were saying stuff like - "I would take that guy out so easy" then they would see them fight and go........."Damn I didn't think he was capable of doing that!"

I have always, and still do tell them not to under-estimate or over-estimate a person, and not to judge a person on physical appearance.

How many times have I seen shorter, skinnier guys take-out taller bigger guys.........Many, many times. Lots of big guys think they do not need fighting skills, because they are big and that will be enough to take other guys out! Big mistake, as many have found out in the streets.

Look at the Gracie's - they are not all that big and they can do some damage!
Old 10-13-2005, 01:42 PM

Car Info: '05 STI
It's not that the big guys think they don't need to know how to fight, it's that they can still win when the other guy knows what they're doing.

I've practiced a few different arts, and whenever I would go to a new dojo there were always "senior" students that would think they are going to show the big guy a lesson with their superior technique. I did a trial membership at a BJJ school where I went to school in Chico, CA when something like this happend to me. One of the brown belt students was trying to show me a lapel choke that I wasn't too convinced would work in a street fight on someone stronger than you. We started with him in my guard and when he grabbed onto my shirt and tried to twist it I first put my thumb on his eye and said I should rip it out, and then I just pulled one of his arms up and arm barred him out. I was so much stronger than him, that he couldn't pull his arm away. Being almost twice as strong as someone in a grappling fight can help you a lot if the other person isn't carefull. Certain techniques don't work very well, and certain positions you end up in aren't always an ok place to be. I've seen a lot of bigger BJJ students roll someone from their guard into a full mount just because their legs we so long and strong. The guy in their guard couldn't do much about it, if they tried to stand up they were pulled down with strength and head control, if they put their arm or legs to the side they would get a few strikes upside the head or just be over powered.

I think situations like this are why so many people like to cross train. In every art there are certain techniques that just look and feel really weak. I would never want to try a frontal lapel choke on someone in a street fight. I'd just use striking and elbow or punch them in the face: no gloves = more cuts and facial damage.

Quick Reply: Anyone ever train at Charles Gracie's gym in Daly City and/or the S.F. Judo Institute