Anyone ever train at Charles Gracie's gym in Daly City and/or the S.F. Judo Institute

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2005, 02:27 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Corvette Z51
Question Anyone ever train at Charles Gracie's gym in Daly City and/or the S.F. Judo Institute

Like the title says, does anyone have any experience at Charles Gracie Brazilian Jiujutsu on Mission in Daly City? How is it? Pretty good facilities? Reasonable price? Friendly staff and patrons? Professional? What about the San Francisco Judo Institute on Taraval?

Any feedback is much appreciated!
Old 10-10-2005, 03:22 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: this required information?
there so many ***ing gracies haha
Old 10-10-2005, 03:38 PM

what's wrong with fight and fitness now Ryan?
Old 10-11-2005, 01:20 AM

Car Info: an ugly car
i went there a couple years ago and i have nothing but good things to say. i got a really good workout each class and they had flexible classes. The teachers are friendly and they can kick your butt.
Old 10-11-2005, 12:25 PM
VIP Member

blue burr: Hell yeah, those Gracie men must really love their wives
Marshall: Nothing, I just haven't been back to Fight and Fitness in almost a year. Plus I wanna experiment with grappling styles to supplement my striking
kingsol: thank you! How are the other students? Pretty cool people?

Any more feedback?
Old 10-11-2005, 12:34 PM

Car Info: 05 STi
Jiujutsu is the most well-rounded form of martial arts in my opinion. That's what the hand-to-hand instructors at Ranger and SF school teach it to soldiers because it's essentially teaching you how to win a no-rules-all-out-street-fight. I like the other forms but I also think they were intended for the ring and not the street. If you're not used to jiujutsu prepare to have you *** handed to you when they teach you how to "close the gap".
Old 10-11-2005, 12:46 PM
VIP Member

I agree with the idea of jujutsu being very complete EXCEPT that it lacks punishing strikes, which is why I wanna incorporate jujutsu into my repertoire
Old 10-11-2005, 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by Choku Dori
I agree with the idea of jujutsu being very complete EXCEPT that it lacks punishing strikes, which is why I wanna incorporate jujutsu into my repertoire
It doesn't include them because if it's done correctly you won't need them. Plus it's a close quarters battle art and you're often to close to throw a strong concussion finish. It's all about the submission. Go for the throat!!!!
Old 10-11-2005, 01:17 PM

Car Info: WREX
How many Gracie gyms are out there? I would like to start taking some Jiu-Jitsu in the near future, and then some Eskrima...........
Old 10-11-2005, 02:26 PM

Car Info: 2003 Impreza OBS
Thumbs up

Jiu-Jitsu is an excellent supplement to your striking ability. If your striking is already there, you will learn to be in prime position to strike downwards when gaining positional dominance.

JJ isn't all about the submission but obtaining positional dominance. You can gain a good position for ground and pound or dropping elbows in a "no rules" fight.

I'm training at the American Kickboxing Academy and for now I only train in JJ under David Camarillo.

He's brought tons of good experience to us. Not only are we blessed with his phenomenal teaching ability and innovative moves, he also brings in so many guest instructors to boost our game.

Several Judo instructors from the SJ State Judo team and BJ Penn to name a few...

Anyway, if you're ever in the area, stop by for a drop-visit to check it out. There's usually no charge and everyone is cool people.

www.dcacademy.tv
Old 10-11-2005, 10:31 PM

I train and teach at Charles's school in Daly City. I love it. I've been training there
for over 5 years now (9 total in Jiu-Jitsu). The school has got a good atmosphere,
no a-holes. We have worked hard to get a place that is cool to train without
attitude.

Call and set up a free class, check it out, no obligation. If you like it, you can
join. If you see a WRB STi out front, I'm there.

If you have more questions, ask away.

Web site info at: http://www.charlesgracie.com/
Old 10-11-2005, 11:29 PM

Car Info: WREX
Yeah, this would compliment my striking skills! Plus ground work is key to most street fights, brawls, or if you get jumped by a group of people. Good stand-up striking, ground work, and some Eskrima would make for a powerful combination.
Old 10-12-2005, 11:45 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2004 PSM WRX
yeah its pretty good, im not sure what gracie house my cousin is in but hes one of the top dudes . . . he was teaching me for a bit but goin to sf every weekend was hard.
Old 10-12-2005, 01:25 PM
VIP Member

chrisok5: I'm coming from a Muay Thai background, and because of that I want (no, need) groundfighting skills. I like your analysis of bjj as establishing dominant position, it makes a lot of sense considering what I've seen of bjj. Submit if you can, or strike if you can, the heart of vale tudo/MMA

leftwo: Hey, that's perfect!! Thanks for letting me know. I'll probably give it a shot come winter when I have a bit more time on my hands. I look forward to meeting you
Old 10-12-2005, 01:50 PM
Friendly Neighborhood Ogre

Car Info: GUNATICS.COM
My friend Glock 21 said that martial arts are for suckers.

Quick Reply: Anyone ever train at Charles Gracie's gym in Daly City and/or the S.F. Judo Institute