anyone ever driven an MR2 turbo, turbo eclipse?

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2003, 10:26 PM

Car Info: GT35R, Meth
anyone ever driven an MR2 turbo, turbo eclipse?

Damn those little things are sporty!

Drove my friend's gsx, hauls plenty of **** and turbo lag was almost non-existent!

I popped the hood, that piping is so sweet! looks like an FMIC would fit without even any cutting. Turbo is like, right near the center of the front bumper too so IC piping seems like it would be minimal.

hrm...nice car, anyone here ever have one or thought of buying one?
Old 10-25-2003, 11:20 PM
Yeah, You've Probably Never Heard Of Me.

Car Info: 345/30/19s
Buddy 12sec first gen eclipse is a monster, bought a car with a blown engine for 2K and put an imported Evo motor in for 1K, he only has about 5K in the whole car.

If I was going to do another low-buck build up though, it would be a sr20det in a 240sx, you can pick those up for nothing
Old 10-26-2003, 01:00 AM

man, I've been hanging around dsmtalk.

Aparently a lot of the DSMer's look down on WRX's for being cocky bastards lol... and half of all their kill stories start with "So I see this WRX with a 20 year old kid in it"

ahhh I like dsm's now but one day, in the far future, when the Ispeed 2.8L comes out, we shall have the last word...
Old 10-26-2003, 02:06 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: Evolution VIII
92 GVR4 forest green #777/1000.. best time 12.8 at 109mph (t-boned)
93 MR2 Turbo metalic blue best time 12.9 at 106mph.. (wrecked)
Old 10-26-2003, 02:12 AM

what mods did you have on each of them, 1fastGC?
Old 10-26-2003, 02:34 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: Evolution VIII
on GVR4, clutch master stage3, exedy lighten flywheel, 16g turbo, modified intake, HKS throttle body elbows, ported throttle body, HKS EVC, full buschur racing turboback no cat, fuel pump, RC injectors, 2nd gen manifold, etc... thats all i can remember.. I did't think my time was that great.. Could have been better..

on MR2, Garage SPL full exhaust, greddy IC kit, greddy TVVC, 16g clipped, rc injectors, supra fuel pump.. man..its been awhile.. I can't remember anything anymore..
Old 10-26-2003, 07:17 AM
Old School

Car Info: '99 RBP GM6
Originally posted by 1fastGC
man..its been awhile.. I can't remember anything anymore..
Old man!

I've seen turbo Talons/Eclipses in action, they are fast.

My neighbor is considered an MR2 God. He does NA to Turbo motor swaps, on the side, as a hobbie...

Some of the clients he gets have some damn nice cars... but after seeing what happened to that kid riding the clutch, and went up that hill, and slammed in to that VW... i can't see myself ever driving one. I hear they have funky handling...

-Gagan
Old 10-26-2003, 07:27 AM

Car Info: 2003 blue EVO
The fastest unibody import drag car is an AWD talon. It's in the 9's

I used to own a 2nd gen DSM, loved that car. It was very easy to make it go fast, but you always drove with the constant fear of crankwalk when you upped the HP levels

As a former DSM owner, the WRX is somewhat better in many ways, but has it's own share of problems.

Also, becareful about the Center diff!! there is an open recall on them for ALL DSMs. If you look at one, check the rear seal on the center diff (rear drive shaft) if it's leaking, walk away from the deal. There have been deaths associated with the center diff seazing at highway speeds (locking all 4 wheels at once )
Old 10-26-2003, 07:31 AM
Old School

Car Info: '99 RBP GM6
Originally posted by chrisw
The fastest unibody import drag car is an AWD talon. It's in the 9's

I used to own a 2nd gen DSM, loved that car. It was very easy to make it go fast, but you always drove with the constant fear of crankwalk when you upped the HP levels

As a former DSM owner, the WRX is somewhat better in many ways, but has it's own share of problems.

Also, becareful about the Center diff!! there is an open recall on them for ALL DSMs. If you look at one, check the rear seal on the center diff (rear drive shaft) if it's leaking, walk away from the deal. There have been deaths associated with the center diff seazing at highway speeds (locking all 4 wheels at once )
ok, we got weak *** trannies... at least our cars AREN'T KILLING US!

Oh, that's the reason why i wouldn't drive a DSM... I've been told (by owners) they are just crap for reliability.

-Gagan
Old 10-26-2003, 07:38 AM

Car Info: 2004 Black WRX wagon
mmm... mr2s are one of my fav. i was about to get one until the person who was helping pay for my car (parent) didn't want something that old.

they are really quick though. pretty slow on the highway though.
Old 10-26-2003, 07:41 AM

Car Info: 2007 Nissan Frontier
Originally posted by joltdudeuc
I hear they have funky handling...

-Gagan
Not exactaly funky handling, just very diffrent from a front engine car. Driving a Mid-engined car is a totaly diffrent experiance from anything else. All the things that you take for granted in a Front engined car are changed in a mid engned car. Heres the big handling difrences taken off a post on MR2boards:

1) Mid Engine: When it starts to spin, exceptionally tricky to recover. When it lets go, it gets ugly really fast.
2) Rear Wheel Drive: Go into a corner too fast and you can’t brake or lift off the throttle to save it. In fact, you have to either keep a steady foot on the gas, or even give it more throttle to keep the car from spinning This means you actually have to try to go faster when you are about to lose it from going too fast in order to keep the car from spinning.
3) Short Wheel Base: Little to no warning when you have exceeded the car’s limits.
4) McPherson struts: Car does not like bumps or surface irregularities mid corner. Hit a pothole or uneven surface and watch the tail step out of line.
5) Turbo: Lag/Boost is very tricky to modulate – especially on a modified car. If you need extra power to exit a corner and the turbo is not spooled because you let the revs drop or are in the wrong gear = you’re screwed. Hit boost early to mid corner when you’re close to the tire’s limits of adhesion = bye-bye.

Dont get me wrong, the MR2 is a wonderful car and a blast to drive when you get a hold of the handling issues and I would like to one a MKII in the future. But it just has very diffrent handling from anyother car out there.

Cheers
-Jeff

Last edited by Magish; 10-26-2003 at 07:44 AM.
Old 10-26-2003, 07:55 AM
2006 Mt Hammy Car Show Winner

Car Info: Black 03 WRX, White 04 E46 M3
One of my friends has a really modded 98 gsx. Big 16g turbo, big greddy fmic, safc 2, injectors/pump, exhaust, etc, etc. I've driven it before and that thing is pretty damn fast. For just running 16psi right now on pump gas it just pulls and holds boost very well. I hope he lets me drive it when hes running 24psi on some race gas He has agx+eibach for suspension and i dont think the car handles that well but its probably since i am used to my car. Another one of my friends just got a 91 mr2 turbo. Its stock except for agx struts. I haven't driven his car but riding in it feels weird. The car sorta bounces around but this is probably because he is on stock springs. Also working on it is the biggest pain in the ***. You seriously can't do anything unless you remove massive amounts of parts or pull the engine.

Quick Reply: anyone ever driven an MR2 turbo, turbo eclipse?