Anyone else use TOTAL Synthetic motor oil?

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2009, 06:02 AM
Friendly Neighborhood Ogre

Car Info: GUNATICS.COM
Originally Posted by Roo
We used to think so too, until we got the Blackstone Lab oil analysis done when we tried the German version Castrol Syntec 0w-30 oil. We found that the wear properties on that oil are better, and it doesn't lose viscosity nearly as bad as the Mobil 1.
Blackstone is actually the company that recommended Total over ALL other oils!!! That's saying A LOT!!! Blackstone Oil Analysis Co has nothing to gain by recommending Total as they have no affiliation with it.

They recommended it to GST, and they recommended it to me, and after some internet searching, it's the bomb!

The L has been running GREAT since they switched from Mobil 1 Crap.

Like someone said, I think our motors are hard on the mobil 1 oil, whereas NA cars do fine with it, at least that seems to be the general consensus. I could be wrong, the new formula could suck for both FI and NA cars,

If I had an NA car, I still wouldn't put my motor at risk with that crappy *** oil. I can't believe I'm saying that!!! 10 years ago I was a mobil 1 junky because of all my BMW friends were fanbois. Now I wont even put it in my lawnmower.

Amsoil is def the best up until this point, but from all I hear, Total should be taking that title. Amsoil is the bomb but sooooo hard to find! Not to say that Total is any easier to find, but GST carries it so it works out well.

When I changed my oil a few days ago, the very first thing I noticed is how drastically different the oil itself looked from other oils I have tried. It's almost perfectly clear and seems very thick. Apparently the 5w30 is the same thickness as the 10w30 in other oils.

Total is a major sponsor in ALL motorsports and race teams all over the world depend on it! F1 to Rally, and that says something.

Name:  total.jpg
Views: 605
Size:  33.8 KB

Last edited by brucelee; 10-21-2009 at 06:06 AM.
Old 10-21-2009, 06:04 AM
Friendly Neighborhood Ogre

Car Info: GUNATICS.COM
Also, I'm SUPER stoked that my car is running at full capacity again! I got worried for a little while there after I started hitting flat spots in various parts of the RPM range. As soon as I switched from Mobil 1 the car went back to the way it should feel, pulls very nicely all the way to redline in every gear (well, haven't checked 4,5,6 to redline, yet )
Old 10-21-2009, 10:58 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 1999 2.5RS / 2004 Forester X
Ran M1 synth on my stock rs motor and wrx motor w/ M1 filters and never had any oil consumption problems. Used the 5w-30 for a while then went to 10w-30. After my turbo upgrade earlier this year I switched to M1 10w-40 high mileage for added protection. Currently have a jug of that for my next oil change.

After I go through that jug I'll probably try something else just to see if I notice an improvement.
Old 10-21-2009, 11:36 AM

Car Info: silverthorne 2000 2.5rs
I've seen Total at my local parts place. I have heard good things about it, but the people there didn't say much except that it was expensive. I was on the wagon when it came to Mobil 1 for awhile now, started using Castrol Syntec up here in the colder climates, and my experience was the same, oil stayed cleaner, thicker longer than the Mobil 1, engine sounded and responded better.

I actually had a blown motor not long after I moved to Canada, didn't realize I should've been using a different oil for the climate, and more than a few people mentioned the 10w30 Mobil 1 may have had a part in it.

After this thread I think I will try the Total on my next oil change and see what happens!
Old 10-21-2009, 03:40 PM

Car Info: 06 STI
The Total isn't that expensive. From where I get it(Benny at Lubrify) it comes out to about 6.60 a liter. Not bad.
Old 10-21-2009, 04:29 PM

Car Info: 97' Dodge Cummins and an RSTI thingie
How much does it run at GST? Might give me an excuse to finally make it out there.
Old 10-21-2009, 04:34 PM

Car Info: Fast
I keep reading about people "noticing an improvement" when using better oils. The thing is, you will most likely not notice a difference using your butt dyno. The different will be in either an UOA, your oil pressure, or the extended lifespan of your motor

Then again if you do not get into boost very often, or you do not live in an extreme climate, then you may not need a higher quality oil.
Old 10-21-2009, 04:44 PM
General Pimpin'

Car Info: MY04 aspen wrx wagon.
Originally Posted by brucelee
Also, I'm SUPER stoked that my car is running at full capacity again! I got worried for a little while there after I started hitting flat spots in various parts of the RPM range. As soon as I switched from Mobil 1 the car went back to the way it should feel, pulls very nicely all the way to redline in every gear (well, haven't checked 4,5,6 to redline, yet )
If you do a bulk buy I'll get in on it. How much does this stuff go for?

I want to switch. I run M1 and it's been fine but it thins out super quick and burns off like crazy. 2 quarts this oil change. I run 10/40.
Old 10-21-2009, 05:23 PM

Car Info: Nadda
Originally Posted by xtremeyolks
The Total isn't that expensive. From where I get it(Benny at Lubrify) it comes out to about 6.60 a liter. Not bad.
=0 Me want! Probably call 'em up n' pick up some soon
Old 10-21-2009, 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by code3suby
How much does it run at GST? Might give me an excuse to finally make it out there.
AFAIK GST still gets their Total from Benny at Lubrify too lol
Old 10-21-2009, 09:25 PM

Originally Posted by aboothman
I keep reading about people "noticing an improvement" when using better oils. The thing is, you will most likely not notice a difference using your butt dyno. The different will be in either an UOA, your oil pressure, or the extended lifespan of your motor

Then again if you do not get into boost very often, or you do not live in an extreme climate, then you may not need a higher quality oil.
LOL yea I didn't notice a difference switching from Redline to ELF/Total. I just did it because my friend Benny told me to run it haha. My car has never burned oil anyways and i'm definitely not gentle with it.
Old 10-21-2009, 09:41 PM

Car Info: Black 2006 STI
^^ listen to Karlton. He knows what he is talking about! I trust him 100% with my car.
=)
Old 10-22-2009, 01:46 AM

Car Info: '02 PSM WRX
Originally Posted by aboothman

People always ask for UOAs, but when provided, they argue with them anyway. There have been lots of Subaru specific UOAs posted time and time again that show oil plays a HUGE part in our motors, but the fan boys will be fanboys, just like how I'm a fan boy of Rotella T.
Old 10-22-2009, 07:44 PM

Car Info: 2005 WRX
Originally Posted by xtremeyolks
That's cheaper than AMSOIL. So when I head out there should I just look for Benny and tell him I'm from I-club to get that pricing?
Old 10-22-2009, 08:40 PM
Hurray, it's Ian!!

Car Info: 2002 MBP WRX Sedan
you spelled "use" wrong in the thread title!

LOL I'm just playin with ya BruceLee
*chages*

Quick Reply: Anyone else use TOTAL Synthetic motor oil?