Anyone else NOT watching the Olymics?

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2008, 04:44 PM
General Pimpin'

Car Info: MY04 aspen wrx wagon.
Originally Posted by WRXakaBooSTi
Americans are lazy. They (including me) don't want to stand around in a factory manufacturing things. Instead, Americans have resorted to growing the economy through providing services (accounting, medical, educational, etc).

So, unless YOU want to go into a factory and manufacture some "quality" American made goods, quit *****ing and suck it up.

Also, Americans have been number one for so long that they've gotten lazier and thought of their first place position as a right, not a privilege. Detroit's crappy car companies are a perfect example of this.

CONCLUSION: STFU and quit complaining about China taking over! It's just as much your own fault as it is China's. (Don't be mad because you're lazy and those people in China aren't)
so if you get an education... a difficult and expensive education you're lazy?

So you're only not lazy if you work in a factory?

I'm not saying there aren't a lot of lazy americans but I am not following your logic here. Sorry.

And Detroits "crappy" car companies are still making fine vehicles. You think all of the "asian" company made cars are quality? Or build in "asia" for that matter?

Idiot. God forbid someone wants something for themselves besides minimum wage working on an assembly line. I suppose you think all of those chinese working in sweat shops wouldn't love to be doing something else.

Oh... I've done that by the way. Along with construction. And now design. I suppose my wife is lazy for busting *** to try to get school done and aspiring to be a nurse.
Old 08-19-2008, 04:51 PM
9 to 5 mod

Car Info: 03 Impreza WRX
Seeing as how we're onto name calling, here's one, your a hypocrite. You complain about the cheap goods from China, but you know what, I bet you're still using them.

whan whan cry cry... all this pointless boycotting of China for no reason. Again, they do what you don't want to do for cheaper.
it's you're not your
Old 08-19-2008, 04:55 PM
Old School

Car Info: '99 RBP GM6
Originally Posted by OneManArmy

I'm not saying there aren't a lot of lazy americans but I am not following your logic here. Sorry.

And Detroits "crappy" car companies are still making fine vehicles. You think all of the "asian" company made cars are quality? Or build in "asia" for that matter?

Idiot. God forbid someone wants something for themselves besides minimum wage working on an assembly line. I suppose you think all of those chinese working in sweat shops wouldn't love to be doing something else.

Oh... I've done that by the way. Along with construction. And now design. I suppose my wife is lazy for busting *** to try to get school done and aspiring to be a nurse.
slight hijack on the car company point:

How is it that American auto companies are closing plants, yet Toyota was still making them in the US in the past few years?

The answer is actually that Toyota simply pay their workers well and gives them good benefits, and I do believe that Labor Unions are not involved. Unions have pretty much pushed manufacturing jobs out of the US on a cost of labor basis.

Toyota's seem to have an *** load of recalls, but nothing really major I don't think. And I think the recalls are good things cause they seem to taking responsibility and fixing the mistakes whereas many American manufacturers (and even Subaru with the 2.5L N/A head gasket issue) are giving out band aid fixes or not even having the recall at all.
Old 08-19-2008, 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by OneManArmy

Of course not. I don't know why people think sweating in the field for 12hrs a day is somehow more virtuous and righteous than sitting at a desk for 8hrs. Since when did using your brain become less "good" than using your hands? That is retarded. If all of the farmers had an opportunity to trade their shovels for laptops and briefcases and earn more money for less work, you'd think they'd say no? What about people in factories? It's the same thing.

Rational people try their best to maximize their earnings. Everyone does. If you can't earn a living with your brain, you'll earn one with your hands/back/legs, etc and vice versa. Only a moron WOULDN'T want a cushy office job pulling in 6+ figures, getting paid vacation, benefits, weekends off, etc. The fact is that not everyone can get those jobs, either because of circumstance or genetics. So you do the best you can with what you've got. For some, it means sewing sneakers for 14hrs a day in a sweat shop for $1. For others, it means doing breast implants and face lifts for $700k/yr. Neither person is more "lazy" than the other.
Old 08-19-2008, 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by joltdudeuc
slight hijack on the car company point:

How is it that American auto companies are closing plants, yet Toyota was still making them in the US in the past few years?

The answer is actually that Toyota simply pay their workers well and gives them good benefits, and I do believe that Labor Unions are not involved. Unions have pretty much pushed manufacturing jobs out of the US on a cost of labor basis.

Toyota's seem to have an *** load of recalls, but nothing really major I don't think. And I think the recalls are good things cause they seem to taking responsibility and fixing the mistakes whereas many American manufacturers (and even Subaru with the 2.5L N/A head gasket issue) are giving out band aid fixes or not even having the recall at all.
I'm with you on the labor union thing. There was a time when they served their purpose, when the worker's negotiating position was so far below that of his employer that whatever "negotiations" that took place between the parties was no doubt unconscionable.

Those days are gone. Employers and employees are just about on equal footing. Today's labor unions' activities border on extorting employers. I hear the cafeteria workers at certain hospitals get paid $17/hr. $17/hr to scoop freakin' mac 'n cheese! It is ridiculous. What's even more ludicrous is cafeteria workers at other hospitals going on strike because they're only making $14/hr.
WTF is wrong with people nowadays?

If people are complaining that they aren't getting paid enough, maybe it's time they took a serious look at what they're offering to the job market, what their skills are, how replaceable they would be, etc. There are too many people THINKING they should be getting paid XXX for a job everyone else could do. Try learning to do something that only a select few can do or doing something better than anyone else can. People's sense of entitlement for mediocre performance/skill is sickening.

In fact, I think people are getting paid far too much today for jobs that require little to no skill.
Old 08-19-2008, 05:21 PM
General Pimpin'

Car Info: MY04 aspen wrx wagon.
I personally feel that there is very little use for labor unions in white collar america. They basically only do what they need to do for the labor member in order to maximize profit for the union.

I do however think it still has its place in blue collar america. They make it possible to keep food on the table and be an electrician or a plumber.

Unfortunately the only people getting half way decent benefits these days are union workers and government workers.
Old 08-19-2008, 06:54 PM

Car Info: Subaru WRX 08
CONCLUSION: STFU and quit complaining about China taking over! It's just as much your own fault as it is China's. (Don't be mad because you're lazy and those people in China aren't)
its our fault? lol wtf..

onemanarmy is right. i dont think anybody follows what youre saying

Hmm lets see.. communists with people more poor than the dirt, in poverty kids as young as 10 trying to earn a dollar to feed their family of 12. Forced to work long shifts..

China’s child labor is a huge problem, and there is clear evidence that child labor is increasing in China. Although there is no official figure on the number of children working in China, it is estimated by many that of the 10 million children out of school, over 5 million are working in factories. There are some who even consider this a conservative estimate. It was reported in Sichuan, China’s most populated province, that 85% of children who drop out of school are working elsewhere. Even in some less populated rural provinces, over 20% of the work force is made up of children. Also, in the last few years, the rate of children kidnapped has increased rapidly. It is believed that the children kidnapped are sold off to factories to work. For example, in 1994, about 48 Chinese brick-shop-workers kidnapped over 100 children. It is known that fourty of those children were forced to work 10 hours a day, but with no wage whatsoever. China’s child labor cannot be overlooked.

So tell me this now. How does this make us lazy? Cuz the country you live in now doesnt put your *** to work at age 12 like their ****ed up goverment?

And also tell me how much quality are you really getting from these poor kids?
Old 08-19-2008, 07:06 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: .
I've been in the hospital the last few days, and luckily there was a TV in my admitting room. Not many channels, so I watched the olympics most of the time

At least I got to see brazil play football a couple times
One game was on Telomuno though
Old 08-19-2008, 07:45 PM
Old School

Originally Posted by Rescuer
I've been in the hospital the last few days, and luckily there was a TV in my admitting room. Not many channels, so I watched the olympics most of the time

At least I got to see brazil play football a couple times
One game was on Telomuno though
OT: Dude, what happened?
Old 08-19-2008, 07:49 PM

Car Info: 04 STi & an autox Lemming
There are a lot of myths floating around, and child labor is one of it. It is simply not very true. I can't speak for all part of china, but the more developed area, such as southern coast do not have child labor at all. There are labor laws in China, and they are enforced very strictly. The laws benefit the workers the most. The laws include minimum age, maximum working hours, minimum pay, etc.

Factory audits are done every where, required by the bigger buyers from US, to ensure there are no such thing like Child labor.

Do you know a factory worker makes about $120USD a month per their labor law now? The factories there also provide housing and three meals a day, so bascially $120USD is enough for them to support their family where ever that is(usually far from where they work).

I would say China changed a lot politically in the last 5 years. Since the newer leaders are well educated, unlike 10 to 15 years ago. The average age of the leaders were like 75 years old 10 years ago! I believe now is around 60? haha

Give them time, things are getting better definitely.
Old 08-19-2008, 07:51 PM
Friendly Neighborhood Ogre

Car Info: GUNATICS.COM

look at his screen name
Old 08-19-2008, 07:57 PM
Old School

Originally Posted by brucelee
look at his screen name

did a person he did CPR on kick 'em in the nads?
Old 08-19-2008, 08:01 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: .
Well, I was fine at the UCKK meet last tuesday, but I woke up at 430am with major pains on my left lower quadrant. Went to the ER, spent all day there with an IV in me, got CT scans and xrays, and ended up getting surgery that night to have one (of several) kidney stones removed plus a stent put in. Went home at nearly midnight. Thursday was OK, just resting. Friday had major pains again, went to ER and stayed the night, CT scans/xrays/IV's till saturday afternoon. Went home saturday afternoon. Same thing sunday! Only this time they kept me there for several days.
Kidney stones are no fun at all. My body had a major problem with the stent though, and they had to keep me on a constant IV mixture of Dilaudid (morphine) and ibuprofin for the pain and inflammation. Laying in a hospital bed for so many days is the worst experience ever.

Dilaudid is a VERY powerful narcotic. They actually gave me a bunch of pills to take orally for the next week It's like heroin.
Old 08-19-2008, 08:03 PM
Old School

Originally Posted by wm07
There are a lot of myths floating around, and child labor is one of it. It is simply not very true. I can't speak for all part of china, but the more developed area, such as southern coast do not have child labor at all. There are labor laws in China, and they are enforced very strictly. The laws benefit the workers the most. The laws include minimum age, maximum working hours, minimum pay, etc.

Factory audits are done every where, required by the bigger buyers from US, to ensure there are no such thing like Child labor.

Do you know a factory worker makes about $120USD a month per their labor law now? The factories there also provide housing and three meals a day, so bascially $120USD is enough for them to support their family where ever that is(usually far from where they work).

I would say China changed a lot politically in the last 5 years. Since the newer leaders are well educated, unlike 10 to 15 years ago. The average age of the leaders were like 75 years old 10 years ago! I believe now is around 60? haha

Give them time, things are getting better definitely.
This is similar to what my CEO and CTO tell me about the Shenjin (sp?) area where our factory is. BBK Electronics is who we use overseas.
Old 08-19-2008, 09:02 PM

Car Info: 02 wrx
Go team Jamaica. Lawd a mercy!

Quick Reply: Anyone else NOT watching the Olymics?