Anyone else NOT watching the Olymics?

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2008, 10:49 PM

Car Info: 2008 subaru AWD stroller...wahaha
Originally Posted by Spoolin415
Some people also vote with their dollar. Perhaps they don't like the fact that we are bettering other's economies while ours is crumbling. Maybe they want to send a message that we should start depending more on ourselves and less on others. Maybe they want to say "**** you" to global corporations who put profit above the good of the people/country they're collecting their billion dollar profits from.

I don't think anything Brucelee said was 'racist', maybe offensive with the little monkey and food comment, but overall it just looks like someone who is trying to make a change at the most fundamental level. Most people cry and complain, those complaints fall on politician's deaf ears, when they can send a much clearer message by simply changing things within their own lives.

Oh, and the Olympics are pathetic.... table tennis? Badminton? It's like a televised OSQ... if it were real. I'm waiting for the little paper 'football' (the game where you folded up a piece of paper into a triangle and played on lunch room tables) event to start.

I never said Dan was "racist" at all, I only said that I was offended when I read the first post.

and come on...the sport that you are not into or play doesn't mean it not a sport, don't put it as the same level as paper football (yes, I know what paper football is...the game that I played at my Jr high's history class, and got me detention)

alan'08
Old 08-18-2008, 11:33 PM

lol knock off country. that's fricken hilarious
Old 08-19-2008, 12:30 AM

Car Info: 04 STi & an autox Lemming
You should not blame China for inferior products. Ever think those who's buying from the Chinese manufacturers wouldn't want to pay the premium? Those companies want to make a bigger profit margin, or simply meet their price point. So, they are willing to sacrifice the quality by using second tier raw material, inlcuding plastics, lead, paint, etc. That's also one of the reason why we see lead in toys and such. Basically, you've got what you paid for (as a company, not the consumers).

If the companies are willing to pay the premium, they would get good quality products in return, even the products are made in China. However, who would want to do that? Since the market is already flooded with similar products made by second tier material at a low price point, not many consumers are willing to pay more for quality(safer, better material, better engineered products) that they can not see and feel. Therefore, many companies are forced to do the same thing, which is going cheap.

Unless Walmart is no longer exist, I don't see this trend is going to end any time soon.
Old 08-19-2008, 01:07 AM
Old School

Car Info: '99 RBP GM6
Originally Posted by thaSicness
totally see everyones point of view..

except this one.

go say that in any other country and youll get your limb cut off.

our goverment isnt perfect, but saying this country sucks contradicts you living here and exercising your rights like u just did.

so much for a 1st amendment right.

You're comment is pretty ignorant. kinda like if you don't have an American flag on your antenna, you aren't patriotic (think back to 2001).

Sooooo those of us who are unhappy with how the country conducts itself and does business with the world, and how the politic of the country are run... don't have a voice!??!
Old 08-19-2008, 01:12 AM
Old School

Originally Posted by wm07
You should not blame China for inferior products. Ever think those who's buying from the Chinese manufacturers wouldn't want to pay the premium? Those companies want to make a bigger profit margin, or simply meet their price point. So, they are willing to sacrifice the quality by using second tier raw material, inlcuding plastics, lead, paint, etc. That's also one of the reason why we see lead in toys and such. Basically, you've got what you paid for (as a company, not the consumers).

If the companies are willing to pay the premium, they would get good quality products in return, even the products are made in China. However, who would want to do that? Since the market is already flooded with similar products made by second tier material at a low price point, not many consumers are willing to pay more for quality(safer, better material, better engineered products) that they can not see and feel. Therefore, many companies are forced to do the same thing, which is going cheap.

Unless Walmart is no longer exist, I don't see this trend is going to end any time soon.
Hey Mark,

Thanks for backing me up on my thoughts about most Americans wanting it cheaper. This does partly fuel the push for cheaper costs on the business side.
Old 08-19-2008, 08:08 AM

Car Info: 2015 WRX
Originally Posted by brucelee
I haven't even watched a single even.. unless there was a recap on the news or something.

I hate to admit this, but its mainly due to China hosting it.

I also try my BEST to not buy anything made in China, Its hard, and I know it wont make a dfference really, but there is a HUGE group doing this to... I don't think there's one thing China makes well... Not a single thing... Chinese food is only good if its from American Chinese people...

But back to the subject, as long as its hosted by a real county and not some knock off country, I'll watch.

China!
I'm doing the exact same thing, but I'm not sure if it's for the same reason as you, since you didn't say what about it being China helped you come to the decision.

For me, it's about their human rights record and oppressive regime. The Chinese government is a blight.
Old 08-19-2008, 08:46 AM

Car Info: 1996 Impreza Brighton bone stock sadly
Originally Posted by iLoqin
Weird to hate a whole nation? I'm chinese and I hate chinese fobs up to a certain extent, but then again I hate things from every race because they bug me.

But that's being human, everyone has their goods and bads about a race here and there...

Whites are rich and get good jobs just cause they have a white name. They dont even try too hard and they get handed down stuff cuz their mom n' dads were rich.

Black people are too ghetto (personally been mugged) Overly aggressive all the ****in time for no damn reason.

****** (especially honkonese people are stuckup cuz I'm too american for them)

Indians smell

Mexicans mow lawns

Etc, blah blah blah.

We all have negative thoughts about other countries, and kinds of people.

The bottom line? We did this to ourselves! US outsources everything because it's CHEAPER for the businesses.

We pay 120 bux for a pair of nike's while some kid in Taiwan makes 2cents for that.

It isn't China, or any other nation for that matter. It's the god almighty Supreme UNITED STATES OF AMERICA that is runnin around finding things as cheap as possible because... WE ARE GREEDY AS HELL... that's it period.

And with our falling economy I am glad that organizations actually go to Mexico to pay cheaper wages for people to pick up a tomatoes instead of paying higher prices. You tell a white dude to pick some tomatoes for 10hrs a day and he'll want insurance coverage and at least 20 bux an HR for HARD LABOR.

We complain about high food prices, but it'd go a boat load higher if we're payin White people to pick our food.

We'd complain if our garbage isn't collected cuz it's a white dude wanting more cash to pick it up.

I COMPLAIN the most about stupid WHITE people who think they are the Aryan supreme but yet they are the ones who OUTSOURCES for CHEAPER LABOR for MORE MONEY because the United States is the CAPITAL FOR GREED.

If you're fine with paying for Chanel and Burberry items everyday cuz they're made by white people then that's fine. But I am too broke (along with 95%) of the population to be buyin' that crap.

Walmart is taking over everything because all their goods are almost all outsourced.

The only time I ever saw a white dude workin at Walmart, he was the manager.

Actually I work in a place where there are about 7 white dudes, and 3 of them are managers, while the rest of the building about (80) is asian/indian.

Open your eyes, we brought this situation upon ourselves.

If it isn't your type of sports, understandable, but tryin to not watch it cuz China hosts it? That speaks for itself. You are ignorant.
1) Stop using the return button, paragraphs are acceptable and encouraged
2) Your broad generalization of different races is going to offend more people than Brucelee's OP, saying that black people are "ghetto" and overly aggresive offends me, myself being African-American (i'm pretty sure we're using that term now), refering to Chinese people as "******" is easily the most racist thing i've read on these forums and offends me even though i'm not not of any Chinese decent, I personally DO NOT like reading that kind of **** here
3) My brother is white, my cousin is white, and they both were garbage men, they never demanded more money, EVER
4) I work at Walmart, there are only 4 dark skinned people (2 African-Americans, and 2 ladies that i'm not sure where they are from) in the whole store the rest of the 140 or so employees....WHITE or to be more politically correct Caucasians
5) My mom is white and she doesn't have a good job nor was anything handed to her, we don't struggle for money by an means anymore, but there was a time where myself, my mom, and my brother (the latter two being white) were living paycheck to paycheck, once again your statement is stereotypical and offensive
Based on the above mentioned facts, if you took ANY offense to the OP then you might as well DIAF

If anybody else took offense to the OP then look at the quoted post, the fact that everybody let this just slide by without any second glance is ****ed up, this is 10x more offensive then anything Brucelee said, I know that people have the freedom of speech but that freedom is overruled by mine or anybody elses freedom of pursecution

-Corey (96Imprez)
Old 08-19-2008, 08:51 AM

Car Info: WR Blue Wagon
So..... did anyone catch Jeopardy last night on TV?
Old 08-19-2008, 09:10 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: AWD & RWD JDM
Even though it has hurt me because I really wanted to watch our atheletes do well, I've boycotted this Olympics myself. I just cannot understand how a country that is currently committing genocide, and under 20 years ago murdered its own students, would be allowed to host an international event of this scale. The Olympics should only be hosted by countries that believe in the "Olympic ideals," and not by any country that would jail someone for uttering thoughts such as what I've done so here.

Besides, they're a bunch of cheaters over there. This one should have been boycotted like the Moscow Olympics.
Old 08-19-2008, 09:41 AM
General Pimpin'

Car Info: MY04 aspen wrx wagon.
Originally Posted by Racenut
So..... did anyone catch Jeopardy last night on TV?
no.... what happened?
Old 08-19-2008, 10:07 AM
Old School

Originally Posted by 96Imprez
2) Your broad generalization of different races is going to offend more people than Brucelee's OP, saying that black people are "ghetto" and overly aggresive offends me, myself being African-American (i'm pretty sure we're using that term now), refering to Chinese people as "******" is easily the most racist thing i've read on these forums and offends me even though i'm not not of any Chinese decent, I personally DO NOT like reading that kind of **** here
3) My brother is white, my cousin is white, and they both were garbage men, they never demanded more money, EVER
4) I work at Walmart, there are only 4 dark skinned people (2 African-Americans, and 2 ladies that i'm not sure where they are from) in the whole store the rest of the 140 or so employees....WHITE or to be more politically correct Caucasians
5) My mom is white and she doesn't have a good job nor was anything handed to her, we don't struggle for money by an means anymore, but there was a time where myself, my mom, and my brother (the latter two being white) were living paycheck to paycheck, once again your statement is stereotypical and offensive
Based on the above mentioned facts, if you took ANY offense to the OP then you might as well DIAF

If anybody else took offense to the OP then look at the quoted post, the fact that everybody let this just slide by without any second glance is ****ed up, this is 10x more offensive then anything Brucelee said, I know that people have the freedom of speech but that freedom is overruled by mine or anybody elses freedom of pursecution

-Corey (96Imprez)
I spent a week in Utah camping and i sweat to god i thought I was going be killed in my sleep the way people were looking at me. And this is pre-9/11

Post 9/11 i've been called osama more times than I can count.

anyways, back to the thread: I think it's important to remember that China today is not the China of yesterday. If that's the case I could bring up a lot of dirt on the U.S. or any other previous hosting country.
Old 08-19-2008, 10:14 AM

Car Info: 03 WRX --> 07 STI --> 10 Cayman S
Originally Posted by joltdudeuc
I spent a week in Utah camping and i sweat to god i thought I was going be killed in my sleep the way people were looking at me. And this is pre-9/11

anyways, back to the thread: I think it's important to remember that China today is not the China of yesterday. If that's the case I could bring up a lot of dirt on the U.S. or any other previous hosting country.
Japan? - WWII

UK? - Imperialism

Italy? - WWII

List goes on and on.
Old 08-19-2008, 10:17 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 04 STi

I have to commend you for not going nuts - I don't know if I could take people being ignorant and calling me isht like Osama, considering all the negative stigma that's attached to his name.

I think you hit it on the head with that statement - China of today is not the China of yesterday.
Old 08-19-2008, 10:46 AM

Car Info: Nadda
Originally Posted by 96Imprez

-Corey (96Imprez)
That's the whole point of the post. You should understand that this kind of thing exists in EVERY PERSON. I decided to be blunt about it to make a point and people are too afraid to admit that it exists implicitly under their own skin doesn't make you or any other person who "thinks they dont see color" better than I. I use the term Black people because in some essence they've taken offense if I said African American. (and I've personally been corrected by them).

You tell me if you're walkin down the street with a buddy and notice 4-5 Coloreds whether mexican or black start walkin behind you, compared to 4-5 White guys walkin behind. Your reaction would be exactly the same? After my personal experience, it would just be ignorant to pretend that everyone is the same.

Go watch some educational documents like the Color of Fear and quit being offended by things that EVERY person holds inside of them.

How about you just be black or even ASIAN for that matter, travel to a middle state, and see how people react to you.

My friend went to Nashville Tennessee because her boyfriend was there for work. The lady at the bar said "I'm surprised you don't have an asian accent." Racism/Stereotypes is/are everywhere.

If you're offended go look in the mirror, because everyone of you contributes something toward my previous post.

If you really are oblivious to color and see what's underneath everyone, you're lying.
Old 08-19-2008, 11:04 AM
9 to 5 mod

Car Info: 03 Impreza WRX
Originally Posted by chinoyboi
I don't know if you do your research. But China makes a lot of things well, which is why it's quickly becoming a world power economy that's almost comparable to Japan and US. Lenovo is one of the top computer manufacturers in the world. China makes most of the world's quality clothes. And China is the leading country in technological manufacturing innovations, which is why a lot of Japanese and Korean companies are starting to go to China to manufacture electronics. I think it's pretty ignorant to say that China makes crap stuff. I actually believe that American made is almost on par with Chinese made.

BTW Americanized Chinese food is total crap (Panda Express) compared to authentic HK owned Chinese restaurants.
have you seen the crash tests of chinese cars?

and i watch ping pong

Quick Reply: Anyone else NOT watching the Olymics?