Anyone else NOT watching the Olymics?

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2008, 04:36 PM

Car Info: 03 WRX --> 07 STI --> 10 Cayman S
Originally Posted by brucelee
Chinese food is only good if its from American Chinese people...

Old 08-18-2008, 04:37 PM
Old School

Car Info: '99 RBP GM6
Originally Posted by OneManArmy
shoot... I've watched TWO events without any u.s. representatives.... croatia.

water polo and some on foot version of water polo.

I've watched a ton of it. I stay up later than the wife and I read so I'll flip on the olympics while I read. We have 2-3 olympics channels at any given time so I can catch a few different things.

I commend you for not buying china. Its hard to do but I wish more people would buy american. We need to support our country and our jobs first. Just because its cheaper doesn't mean its a better choice or truly cheaper when you look at long term effects.

I find that a lot of things have DROPPED big time in quality once transfered to china... like xacto blades. First cut is nice then they go to ****. The funny thing is that they're buying up all the metal in the U.S. then turning it into **** and selling it back to us at inflated prices...
Yeah, well, what about the prices? If you look at walmart, its sales are waaaay up. The reason is because inflation is catching up, making folks budgets tights, and they are going to look at prices. That's just a fact.

I don't blame China... They have cheaper labor, most of Asia does. If Americans want their manufacturing jobs back, they are going to have to do it at a rate less than Asians OR Americans are going to have to pay more at retail to make up for the higher labor costs in the US. Well, the walmart fact shows that Americans aren't willing to pay for more expensive stuff, even if it is better, so the only the first can work... and I highly doubt billy joe bob is going to work at Asian wages.

I found it hilarious that the folks in the south wanted that huge wall to be built to keep Mexicans from crossing the border, but then found out that the company making the wall were using Chinese steel, and got all upset. I mean, take your pick! Get the wall up to get the Mexicans out and keep it cheap and under budget, or pay more and use US steel.

My point is, MANY people ***** and moan, and cry, but most are not willing to sacrifice to make buying American happen, and most are not willing to work at lower wages to bring such jobs back here.

I blame the stock market and the corporate structure to seek out ever last penny for that oh so awesome bottom end. It's the greed in the stock exchange that drives businesses to poor practices, and not care about people. This "responsibility" to share holders is what drives our country into the **** hole.
Old 08-18-2008, 04:52 PM

Car Info: Eq TuNeD vF43 bUgEyE
Bruce Lee is chinese, you must hate him too
Old 08-18-2008, 05:01 PM
General Pimpin'

Car Info: MY04 aspen wrx wagon.
Originally Posted by joltdudeuc
My point is, MANY people ***** and moan, and cry, but most are not willing to sacrifice to make buying American happen, and most are not willing to work at lower wages to bring such jobs back here.

I blame the stock market and the corporate structure to seek out ever last penny for that oh so awesome bottom end. It's the greed in the stock exchange that drives businesses to poor practices, and not care about people. This "responsibility" to share holders is what drives our country into the **** hole.
agreed. That's one of the reasons why I hope that market oil future bills pass. The rich and careless along with the stock market helped usher in the first great depression along with overlending and overborrowing to the general masses and its doing it again.

I'm not sure why you picked my post as I don't think I said anything wrong??

I agree that if you want to ***** and moan about american products and american made then make the sacrifice and buy american made and pay more. That's what Daniel says he does. I commend that.

We are outsourcing far to much to cut the bottom dollar right now all the while not paying attention to its long term effects. Cut 50,000 jobs by outsourcing that's 50,000 people that can't spend money. See what I'm saying?

As per chinese and it's products. I still buy stuff from china but whenever possible I try to support mom and pops. Small machine shops. Small coffee shops. Local business. Etc. China is doing what we did during our industrializing period. The difference between us and them is that they know 100% that they're ****ing up the environment and should be learning from what we did 80 years ago but they're not. They don't give a **** about their own people or the rest of the world. I can't blame them for doing much of what they're doing but there are alternate ways of doing a lot of the things they're doing right now but the rest of the world doesn't care to stop it because they can ship their work over there and save bottom dollar.

I know folks in the HIGH end machining world and they are loosing TONS of work to china and a few other places... like denmark. But the quality is WAY below what they were getting from my friends place... and this is on medical equipment and things that a few thousand dollars shouldn't come before quality. Hell most of the stuff either ends up costing more (shipping) or is wrong or damaged in shipping and ends up having to be redone CORRECTLY back here and costs more. But the pencil pushers need to validate their jobs just like california law makers.

Then toss in that china has no protection on patents and you have a wide open market for knock off products. Take a look at any bicycle catalog. You'll see 4 companies with the exact same frame because the original company tried to cheap out and have the welding done in china then the factory stole it and sold it to 3 other guys. Azonic is a prime example. (I happen to ride one).

And its a fact of life. Extra money goes down... the less money you throw around. Hell I buy isht at walmart... like dog food and shaving cream. Saves me $20 a month saves me $20 a month. I know how it is.

I don't think I said anything negative or even too far biased???
Old 08-18-2008, 05:05 PM
General Pimpin'

Originally Posted by Racenut
BMX starts Tuesday night. PRIME TIME BABY!

We'll be watching and TIVOing ALL BMX events. We're taking a break, but me and my kids raced BMX for 5 years. Have met most of the Olympic team members, USA or otherwise. And I've shared the track with a few of them. So it's gonna be cool to see. And the Olympic BMX track is AWESOME!
awesome.

I used to race. Unfortunately I couldn't travel so I never got nationally ranked. My step brother raced as well. Had a HUGE track at his house. (lived with his mom). We were about 10. He never beat me once but he was ranked 5th in the nation I think. Think it was under 13's. He was on the cover of the bmx magazine. Has all the dates and rankings and what not. I forget the name of it. I miss bmx. I raced mtb for a while.

Any chance you'd want to help me rebuild a free agent 24 inch team cruiser...haaaa.

I love that these sports are getting recognized. Gives kids an extra reason to keep doing something they enjoy. I know a lot of people that shifted to other sports because there was a "future" in them.

Bah.

Can't wait. Gotta set up the DVR. Thanks.
Old 08-18-2008, 05:09 PM
Old School

agreed. That's one of the reasons why I hope that market oil future bills pass. The rich and careless along with the stock market helped usher in the first great depression along with overlending and overborrowing to the general masses and its doing it again.

I'm not sure why you picked my post as I don't think I said anything wrong??

I agree that if you want to ***** and moan about american products and american made then make the sacrifice and buy american made and pay more. That's what Daniel says he does. I commend that.

We are outsourcing far to much to cut the bottom dollar right now all the while not paying attention to its long term effects. Cut 50,000 jobs by outsourcing that's 50,000 people that can't spend money. See what I'm saying?

As per chinese and it's products. I still buy stuff from china but whenever possible I try to support mom and pops. Small machine shops. Small coffee shops. Local business. Etc. China is doing what we did during our industrializing period. The difference between us and them is that they know 100% that they're ****ing up the environment and should be learning from what we did 80 years ago but they're not. They don't give a **** about their own people or the rest of the world. I can't blame them for doing much of what they're doing but there are alternate ways of doing a lot of the things they're doing right now but the rest of the world doesn't care to stop it because they can ship their work over there and save bottom dollar.

I know folks in the HIGH end machining world and they are loosing TONS of work to china and a few other places... like denmark. But the quality is WAY below what they were getting from my friends place... and this is on medical equipment and things that a few thousand dollars shouldn't come before quality. Hell most of the stuff either ends up costing more (shipping) or is wrong or damaged in shipping and ends up having to be redone CORRECTLY back here and costs more. But the pencil pushers need to validate their jobs just like california law makers.

Then toss in that china has no protection on patents and you have a wide open market for knock off products. Take a look at any bicycle catalog. You'll see 4 companies with the exact same frame because the original company tried to cheap out and have the welding done in china then the factory stole it and sold it to 3 other guys. Azonic is a prime example. (I happen to ride one).

And its a fact of life. Extra money goes down... the less money you throw around. Hell I buy isht at walmart... like dog food and shaving cream. Saves me $20 a month saves me $20 a month. I know how it is.

I don't think I said anything negative or even too far biased???
I quoted you cause you were talking about it, but I wasn't really directing it towards you Ray. You're my brother, I wouldn't attack you man.
I just wanted to get the topic out there, sorry about that.
Old 08-18-2008, 05:10 PM
Old School

awesome.

I used to race. Unfortunately I couldn't travel so I never got nationally ranked. My step brother raced as well. Had a HUGE track at his house. (lived with his mom). We were about 10. He never beat me once but he was ranked 5th in the nation I think. Think it was under 13's. He was on the cover of the bmx magazine. Has all the dates and rankings and what not. I forget the name of it. I miss bmx. I raced mtb for a while.

Any chance you'd want to help me rebuild a free agent 24 inch team cruiser...haaaa.

I love that these sports are getting recognized. Gives kids an extra reason to keep doing something they enjoy. I know a lot of people that shifted to other sports because there was a "future" in them.

Bah.

Can't wait. Gotta set up the DVR. Thanks.
Man those were the days!

I'm going to setup my DVR as well!
Old 08-18-2008, 05:14 PM
Friendly Neighborhood Ogre

Car Info: GUNATICS.COM
Hey now, I don't hate any of you... I can't stand by the Chinese govt!

If I was Chinese I'd say the same thing!
Old 08-18-2008, 05:23 PM
General Pimpin'

Originally Posted by joltdudeuc
Man those were the days!

I'm going to setup my DVR as well!

I know... we should get all the old bmxers together and see if any of us can still go around a track... haaaa.

As for the comments... I know. Miss you man. Been too damn long. We need to have a get together. Miss IB and Kevin and Mike and all you guys. Sometimes I feel like I'm out in the ozarks and I need to invest in overalls and combat boots. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't coming off the wrong way... I do that sometimes. HAAAA
Old 08-18-2008, 05:30 PM
Friendly Neighborhood Ogre

Car Info: GUNATICS.COM
Oh damn, I didn't know BMX was part of it this year!!

Guess I'll have to put my feet up on my GERMAN made table, lay back on my USA made couch (or was it canadia?) and focus in on my Japanese TV.

In regards to China... I have a lot of Chinese friend who live here and even they high disagree in what China is doing to its own people... Little kids working 15 hours a day making nothing! Thats the sort of crap Im talking about.

I can easily say that I will NEVER buy any of these items if they were Chinese made:

1. Car

2. Gun

3. Television

4. DVD player or similar

5. Almost any Chinese computer components (hard to avoid that)

6. Food and or Candy if I have any power over it

7. Chinese Surplus Ammo (makes me laugh just thinking about it

8. Chinese tires of any sort

9. Chinese safety equipment of various sorts

10. Chinese made hepa filters (FLAWED)

11. Vitamins, etc

12. Knives, stabbing weapons

The list goes on and on...

Wearing underwear made in china I guess is fine, same with shirts and other every day garments, though I try to avoid this, but comparing a 2 pair of boxers to a $30 pair of boxers, sometimes I just have to give in.

However, if its anything IMPORTANT in anyway shape or form I will avoid Chinese crap to no extent.

Lets say you just had a child and you and your wife like your happy little lives... Would you buy any of the things I listed? I hope not.

IF anyway gets offended by this, move back to China, here in the States we can pick and choose what we buy, and if that offends you, well... I dont know what else to tell ya. Though my first post could have been read out of context/
Old 08-18-2008, 05:33 PM
Old School

You've been watching Terminator 2 lately haven't you!

Old 08-18-2008, 05:35 PM
rau
Something Custom

Car Info: 2018 Grand Cherokee Limited Ecodiesel EOC Stage 1
Originally Posted by brucelee
Oh damn, I didn't know BMX was part of it this year!!

Guess I'll have to put my feet up on my GERMAN made table, lay back on my USA made couch (or was it canadia?) and focus in on my Japanese TV.

In regards to China... I have a lot of Chinese friend who live here and even they high disagree in what China is doing to its own people... Little kids working 15 hours a day making nothing! Thats the sort of crap Im talking about.

I can easily say that I will NEVER buy any of these items if they were Chinese made:

1. Car

2. Gun

3. Television

4. DVD player or similar

5. Almost any Chinese computer components (hard to avoid that)

6. Food and or Candy if I have any power over it

7. Chinese Surplus Ammo (makes me laugh just thinking about it

8. Chinese tires of any sort

9. Chinese safety equipment of various sorts

10. Chinese made hepa filters (FLAWED)

11. Vitamins, etc

The list goes on and on...

Wearing underwear made in china I guess is fine, same with shirts and other every day garments, though I try to avoid this, but comparing a 2 pair of boxers to a $30 pair of boxers, sometimes I just have to give in.

However, if its anything IMPORTANT in anyway shape or form I will avoid Chinese crap to no extent.

Lets say you just had a child and you and your wife like your happy little lives... Would you buy any of the things I listed? I hope not.

IF anyway gets offended by this, move back to China, here in the States we can pick and choose what we buy, and if that offends you, well... I dont know what else to tell ya. Though my first post could have been read out of context/
i kinda agree with what you are saying...... i really wouldnt trust any automotive safety component ( seatbelts, etc ) made by a chinese worker making $100/month.....
Old 08-18-2008, 05:40 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 04 STi
More power to you if you want to buy American made, but it looks like you're just boycotting everything Chinese produced. I find it hard to not buy something that was Chinese produced. Even my HP laptop, an American company, out sources to have their laptops made. I believe it's the same for Dell, Sony (Japanese company), and others are all made in China. The same goes for any video games you got, you might want to give them up, even though they're created in Japan, the American market versions clearly say "Made in China" somewhere on them. You know that motherboard in your computer that you play Hitman with? It was probably made in Taiwan or China.

Some of your list makes sense, like bullets and cars, but that's just being smart about buying products. Those types are still not up to par with American standards of quality, it too will take time.

Oh, and the HTC phones - made in Taiwan, most likely, since it's a Taiwanese company.

Last edited by Onizuka; 08-18-2008 at 05:42 PM.
Old 08-18-2008, 05:44 PM
General Pimpin'

Originally Posted by Onizuka
More power to you if you want to buy American made, but it looks like you're just boycotting everything Chinese produced. I find it hard to not buy something that was Chinese produced. Even my HP laptop, an American company, out sources to have their laptops made. I believe it's the same for Dell, Sony (Japanese company), and others are all made in China. The same goes for any video games you got, you might want to give them up, even though they're created in Japan, the American market versions clearly say "Made in China" somewhere on them. You know that motherboard in your computer that you play Hitman with? It was probably made in Taiwan or China.

Some of your list makes sense, like bullets and cars, but that's just being smart about buying products. Those types are still not up to par with American standards of quality, it too will take time.

Oh, and the HTC phones - made in Taiwan, most likely, since it's a Taiwanese company.
did you miss the part where he said it was hard to avoid chinese made computer products???
Old 08-18-2008, 05:45 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 04 STi
^^^ LOL, I did.

Quick Reply: Anyone else NOT watching the Olymics?