Anyone been to Harris' Restaurant in SF?

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2003, 10:37 PM

Car Info: gs300
Anyone been to Harris' Restaurant in SF?

Hi. Has anyone been to Harris' Restaurant in SF? My friends and I are considering of going to celebrate their birthday. What should I expect going there? All I know is that it's pricey and you have to wear shirts and slacks. Any menu recommendations? Or anything at all? Any tips would be appreciated. Thanks.

- Lester
Old 08-24-2003, 11:40 PM

Car Info: '02 EJ25FXT Stage 2 "No Laggin' Wagon"
Harris' is a pretty good steak house. They "dry age" all of their meats in-house in temperature controlled room viewed from the outside of the restaurant. Meats are cooked to order. They have a good sized bar.

The decor is very old school. Big leather booth seats with brass buttons. Surrounded by dark woods.

Restaurant owned by Ann Harris. All meats come off of their ranch (Harris Ranch) in California. It's been close to 10 years since I've been things may have changed. But since they're still in business, I'm assuming they're still doing steaks right.

Other Steak Houses (non-chain)

- Alfreds (another old school)
- House of Prime Rib (just down the street from Harris')
- Izzy's (casual)

If you're looking for something different, try out the restaurant where I work (blatent plug ) BIX. It's fine dining in a casual environment. We have live jazz nightly, huge bar serving the best Martini's and Cosmopolitans in town. We have a great Steak Frites, lamb and fresh local fish to name a few. Check us out.

Stan
Old 08-25-2003, 12:30 AM

Originally posted by topcover
Harris' is a pretty good steak house. They "dry age" all of their meats in-house in temperature controlled room viewed from the outside of the restaurant. Meats are cooked to order. They have a good sized bar.
Geezus christ Stan...I was gonna post a reply but you're all over this one like Zagat...

I agree. Great steak house, the new york and ribeye is very good. More formal than I find comfortable with a group of friends. It's more Morton's/Lawry's/Ruth Chris'...

The prime rib at HoPR is better IMO, and the atmosphere there is much more suited for casual and louder conversation. Plus, it's all you can eat as long as you keep asking for extra helpings
Old 08-25-2003, 01:07 AM

Car Info: gs300
I see. I see. Thanks for the suggestions. We're gonna have a party of 11. Do you guys think Harris' would be an ideal locale? I'm open to suggestions! We would prefer a steak house though!

- Lester
Old 08-25-2003, 03:52 PM

Car Info: S2000
I would recommend the Prime Rib at Harris'.
You can wear jeans there since a lot of tourists go there and dine.

House of Prime Rib is good for the price, around $20-30 for a whole meal. The problem is their menu is very limited, either Prime Rib of different cuts or Fish of the Day (That's it)

-Marc
Old 08-25-2003, 04:39 PM

Car Info: MY00RS25
It's an upscale steakhouse w/ a decent wine list. Can be a bit pricey. Figure in 20% gratuity charged automatically due to large party. Food is good though.
Old 08-25-2003, 07:36 PM

Car Info: '02 EJ25FXT Stage 2 "No Laggin' Wagon"
Originally posted by Kenn
Geezus christ Stan...I was gonna post a reply but you're all over this one like Zagat...
Sorry... I'm just a restaurant *****.... I know I have a problem, but I enjoy it so.

Harris' have a great selection of cuts and although the prime rib at HoPR is better, Harris' offer a better variety and better tasting cuts of beef (between the two).

The cool thing about HoPR is that they serve all of their meat right out of these beautiful steamers. They cut and serve your prime rib table side...It's like dinner theater!

Regardless where you go, you're gonna pay 18-20% gratuity for group parties.
Old 08-25-2003, 10:11 PM

Car Info: 09 E90 M3 SEDAN w/DCT
Harris Ranch is the biggest feed lot on the west coast. If you drive by, you will know! Down my Lemoore NAS. It is great beef too!