Anyone available Friday or Saturday or Sunday?

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2008, 10:12 AM

Car Info: 03 WRX --> 07 STI --> 10 Cayman S
Anyone available Friday or Saturday or Sunday?

So, after waiting 2 weeks for my exhaust to come in... It has FINALLY arrived. I've posted this help wanted before (nearly 2 weeks ago) and was wondering if anyone is willing to help a noob install a CBE. I don't have any of the required tools, so anyone that has any of that would be really helpful. PM me if you're available
Old 07-15-2008, 12:08 PM

Car Info: WRB 18g + Meth (sold) 07 BMW 335i coupe
you should just buy a craftman tool set like a basic one with over 100 pieces...it will be very useful as you start to mod more...plus you will get more experience on wrenching and the different parts on the car
Old 07-15-2008, 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by Jake
you should just buy a craftman tool set like a basic one with over 100 pieces...it will be very useful as you start to mod more...plus you will get more experience on wrenching and the different parts on the car
If I have extra money to throw down, I'd definitely like to get a tool set. But atm, I don't have $100+ to spend on a tool set, especially when I have other priorities. But hopefully before I go back to College I'll pick up a set
Old 07-15-2008, 12:44 PM

Buy a quality jack and stands too. Nothing crappier than working with a cheap jack that only gets your car like a foot off the ground.

As for a Catback exhaust, you should be able to do that yourself with MINIMAL tools. There are like 2 bolts that hold the stock midpipe to the downpipe. You don't even have to unbolt the axleback portion - just pull out the whole catback in one piece. If you don't have a jack, just drive up on a curb so that both your right wheels are on the curb. That should give you enough clearance to pull out the exhaust at least. Then, all you'll need is some WD40 to get your stock exhaust off of the rubber hangers and some crescent wrenches to unbolt the stock catback from your downpipe. If you're really cheap (or strapped for cash), and cannot borrow any wrenches from friends, etc. then just buy a cheap set from Kragen or something. It should be good enough for the job. Also, make sure you have a new downpipe - catback gasket.

Out of curiosity, why did you get a catback without first getting an uppipe or downpipe? I mean, it's your car so do what you like, but adding more sound without getting any more power seems kind of strange to me.
________
White Widow Seeds

Last edited by kyoung05; 03-30-2011 at 07:43 AM.
Old 07-15-2008, 01:01 PM
mot
Likes The Color Purple

Car Info: plug-in prius
30mins max
Old 07-15-2008, 01:05 PM

well I don't think it'll necessarily give me NO power. Yeah, the power gains might be small, but it's certainly nothing. I'm actually hopefully getting a Cobb AP sometime soon and then I'll be getting a downpipe. Then the list goes down from there. I really wanted an new exhaust as a first modification for my car. So I got a good deal, and I jumped on it. And unfortunately I don't have the kind of money that I can buy a bunch of parts all at the same time and have it installed at the same time. Got to work in steps in my case as a poor college student
Old 07-15-2008, 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by chinoyboi
well I don't think it'll necessarily give me NO power. Yeah, the power gains might be small, but it's certainly nothing. I'm actually hopefully getting a Cobb AP sometime soon and then I'll be getting a downpipe. Then the list goes down from there. I really wanted an new exhaust as a first modification for my car. So I got a good deal, and I jumped on it. And unfortunately I don't have the kind of money that I can buy a bunch of parts all at the same time and have it installed at the same time. Got to work in steps in my case as a poor college student
I don't mean to be a dick, but in the interest of saving you some time and money, it seems like you are looking for power on a budget. If that is the case, a catback exhaust is probably one of the last things you want to buy (aside from an intake or BOV), even if you got a good deal on it. We're talking about 3-5hp, tops. Unless your *** is super sensitive, you won't feel that. I know it's not something you want to hear, given that you just bought this thing and waited a good deal of time for it to arrive. However, it's better to do things learn from our mistakes rather than making those same mistakes too.

Given your current "starving college student" situation, I take it that it might be a while before you are able to buy your next mod. So ask yourself, would you rather drive around the next couple of months with a loud car that is no faster than it was before the exhaust? Or, would you rather be driving around a car that makes more power throughout the powerband and spools the turbo 500rpms sooner? I don't know about you, but I'd choose the latter.

Do yourself a favor. Get an uppipe and a downpipe.

As an added favor (you can thank me later), here is a downpipe someone on BAIC is selling for $40.

https://www.i-club.com/forums/norcal-classifieds-96/hks-downpipe-more-187954/

Here is an uppipe on eBay for $50 shipped.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/subar...spagenameZWDVW

You can get both parts for under $100. I don't know how good of a deal you got on that catback, I sincerely doubt you're getting a better $/hp ratio with it.
________
Lesbian Blonde

Last edited by kyoung05; 03-30-2011 at 07:44 AM.
Old 07-15-2008, 02:16 PM

I might consider that downpipe, but I don't want to spend less now on a crappy product, only to have major problems later. So I am considering getting a Helix Downpipe, just so I can go to Stage 2 with a cobb AP. Probably won't get a UP for awhile. But I think that's as far as I'll go with mods for the next several weeks. But in terms of modding, I'm merely doing this as a hobby, I don't really plan on going all out on my car. I just plan on doing basic stuff and that's it.

BTW, I appreciate all the advice, but remember that I am asking for help, so if you don't have help to offer, don't bother posting. Not trying to sound rude, I'm just asking for a helping hand and a tool set to borrow.
Old 07-15-2008, 02:19 PM
Old School

Car Info: '99 RBP GM6
Originally Posted by kyoung05
Buy a quality jack and stands too. Nothing crappier than working with a cheap jack that only gets your car like a foot off the ground.

As for a Catback exhaust, you should be able to do that yourself with MINIMAL tools. There are like 2 bolts that hold the stock midpipe to the downpipe. You don't even have to unbolt the axleback portion - just pull out the whole catback in one piece. If you don't have a jack, just drive up on a curb so that both your right wheels are on the curb. That should give you enough clearance to pull out the exhaust at least. Then, all you'll need is some WD40 to get your stock exhaust off of the rubber hangers and some crescent wrenches to unbolt the stock catback from your downpipe. If you're really cheap (or strapped for cash), and cannot borrow any wrenches from friends, etc. then just buy a cheap set from Kragen or something. It should be good enough for the job. Also, make sure you have a new downpipe - catback gasket.

Out of curiosity, why did you get a catback without first getting an uppipe or downpipe? I mean, it's your car so do what you like, but adding more sound without getting any more power seems kind of strange to me.
I wouldn't get a DP until I had a catback... it would just bottle neck like crazy at the bottom of the DP
Old 07-15-2008, 02:21 PM

Car Info: '02 WRX wagon
its not hard man, try it yourself. once u do it, youll feel like a dummy for making this post
Old 07-15-2008, 02:25 PM

Cool

Originally Posted by pwnx0rz
its not hard man, try it yourself. once u do it, youll feel like a dummy for making this post
You're actually probably right.
Old 07-15-2008, 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by chinoyboi
You're actually probably right.
Seriously, all you need are 2 wrenches (hell, u can even use one wrench and one vice grip if you want, although you might chew up the nut a bit), a sidewalk (to drive up on), and some lube (you can even use water). If you really want though, if you're willing to drive down to Santa Clara on Thursday, I can help put it on. See? I can be helpful too.
________
Ipad Accessories

Last edited by kyoung05; 03-30-2011 at 07:44 AM.
Old 07-15-2008, 02:41 PM

Car Info: 03 Wrx black sedan + 2013 BRZ
What CBE did you get? Did you get any exhaust hangers too? Make sure when you install the CBE that your stock exhaust is actually cool. I've known of some people that have tried to install a new CBE when the old exhaust was still hot. Burns suck.