Is anybody here Vegetarian/Pescatarian?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2013, 02:46 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2018 Golf R Variant
Originally Posted by code3suby
I was mostly vegan for like 2-3 years and now I'm 100% vegetarian....
Awesome! Thanks for all the suggestions/places/tips!
Old 04-24-2013, 02:49 PM

Car Info: '11 STI
Originally Posted by Choku Dori
Asian vegetarian restaurants that cater to religious populations are often so tasty that you won't miss meat. In fact, they are so delicious that even a fatty omnivore like me will go out of my way to have a vegetarian meal every so often! Chinese and Thai/SE Asian eateries that cater to Buddhists and Indian/South Asian restaurants that cater to Hindus/Jains are my recommendation to you!
+1 speaking the truth right there
Old 04-24-2013, 03:33 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2018 Golf R Variant
Originally Posted by kwiksilverwrx
I work for a holistic nutrition and chef college. Im not veg but I enjoy almost all the recipes here that the chef class makes. If your eating for health related reasons you can check out the recipe exchange blog for ideas.
Recipe Exchange

Things like ginger and garlic help the digestive track. Another good source of protein is Quinoa. You cook it like rice and is really good as a pilaf.

Some recipes to try:
Quinoa and Black Beans Recipe - Allrecipes.com
Quinoa Pilaf With Mushrooms Recipe - Allrecipes.com
Yes, we use a lot of quinoa. Most common thing is that exact Allrecipes recipe you linked. We almost always have some of that, and it's great to just have a bowl of it if you cannot think of something fancy to make.

Originally Posted by wrxBRAH
Adding a probiotic like VSL3 will do wonders for your digestive health. How do I know this? because Ive had two major gastrointestional surgeries and have dealt with UC majority of my life.

I was raised vegetarian and there is no way I could go back. I love my meat too much. (no homo)
Dang, surgeries sounds scary. For the probiotic, I did some searching and see that supplement, but I wonder if this is something that you can find in another product like a yoghurt as well? Or if it's like the "eat bananas for potassium" thing that people say when in reality you would need to eat a Costco box to get near what a couple supplement pills do.

That's funny about being raised veggie. I guess you could compromise but only eating vegetarian animals. I don't think I could cut out fish completely, but then of course there is the mercury concern. I probably have maybe 1 steak a year but haven't had one for more than a year at this point. I usually like to pick out the meat and prepare everything myself for stuff like that, and my current place is not conducive to such activities (stovetop searing, then oven time).

Originally Posted by flat489
you can eat at any south indian food places and overall a lot of indian food is vegetarian. And the home cooked recipes are no where near as heavy as the ones you find at restaurants.
Good idea, and often the sauces and such a great with just potatoes and/or tofu chunks.

Originally Posted by Choku Dori
Asian vegetarian restaurants that cater to religious populations are often so tasty that you won't miss meat. In fact, they are so delicious that even a fatty omnivore like me will go out of my way to have a vegetarian meal every so often! Chinese and Thai/SE Asian eateries that cater to Buddhists and Indian/South Asian restaurants that cater to Hindus/Jains are my recommendation to you!
Nice, thanks for the suggestion!
Old 04-24-2013, 03:57 PM

Car Info: '11 STI
Originally Posted by wombatsauce

Good idea, and often the sauces and such a great with just potatoes and/or tofu chunks.
or Paneer(cheese) too. Honestly there have been times where my family has non-indian people over and they dont realize there is no meat at the table until we mention it after.
Old 04-24-2013, 04:09 PM

Car Info: 90 s13 hb, 87 gts, 08 frontier
wow, thank you for all the suggestions guys! this transition isnt going to be so bad after all! ive also eliminated all forms of soda, juice cocktails, and many juices. im pretty much down to teas, water, beer, and Kombucha (dont really know where that lands, either tea, or partial beer). Im planning on making my own come summer time when schools out. dont know if any have tried it, but at 3 dollars a blottle id rather spend pennies to make my own
Old 04-24-2013, 04:16 PM
rau
Something Custom

Car Info: 2018 Grand Cherokee Limited Ecodiesel EOC Stage 1
Originally Posted by Jacare
wow, thank you for all the suggestions guys! this transition isnt going to be so bad after all! ive also eliminated all forms of soda, juice cocktails, and many juices. im pretty much down to teas, water, beer, and Kombucha (dont really know where that lands, either tea, or partial beer). Im planning on making my own come summer time when schools out. dont know if any have tried it, but at 3 dollars a blottle id rather spend pennies to make my own
The Indian food is a great suggestion for vegetarian food. My ex was from South India by way of Fiji and taught me how to make a lot. It's a lot less expensive that the restaurants.
Old 04-24-2013, 04:17 PM
previously known as wrxBRAH

Car Info: 2004 FXT
Originally Posted by wombatsauce
Dang, surgeries sounds scary. For the probiotic, I did some searching and see that supplement, but I wonder if this is something that you can find in another product like a yoghurt as well? Or if it's like the "eat bananas for potassium" thing that people say when in reality you would need to eat a Costco box to get near what a couple supplement pills do.

That's funny about being raised veggie. I guess you could compromise but only eating vegetarian animals. I don't think I could cut out fish completely, but then of course there is the mercury concern. I probably have maybe 1 steak a year but haven't had one for more than a year at this point. I usually like to pick out the meat and prepare everything myself for stuff like that, and my current place is not conducive to such activities (stovetop searing, then oven time).

VSL3 isnt offered in a yogurt although if you find it gives your relief, Id suggest making a batch of yogurt with a few pills because it tends to be much more cost effective this way. The difference with VSL and the other probiotics Ive used is VSL has 8 strains of bacteria and has about 100 billion per pill as opposed to millions for other brands. Its worth the money.
Old 04-24-2013, 05:48 PM
Dirty Purple Ukrainian

Car Info: SUBARU BROOM
So I'm not a vegetarian, but I do cook at home a lot. I would say get on Internet and find recipes that work for you. Don't jump to supplements to fast, sometimes they can do more harm than good. Have a doctor check you for what vitamins you need and find food that has them. Also check out the different yogurts they have out there, lots of them have good stuff in them that help with your digestive system. Good luck :-)