Is anybody here Vegetarian/Pescatarian?

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2013, 10:39 PM

Car Info: 90 s13 hb, 87 gts, 08 frontier
Is anybody here Vegetarian/Pescatarian?

So I recently made the switch over for health reasons that i wont really get into. kinda sucks because i really dont know what to eat half the time other than Veggie delights from Subway, or Spinach with olive oil at home, or some simpe rice and beans. Just wondering if anyone here is in the same predicament as me, maybe Pescatarian, since i can eat fish once in a while. What do you eat? Recipes? maybe a good forum you'd suggest?
Old 04-23-2013, 11:13 PM

Car Info: 2012 SWP WRX 5dr
There are a TON of good vegetarian recipes available, and there are quite a few walk-through cooking videos on YouTube that you can refer to.

Depending on what health reasons are driving you towards becoming a pescetarian, you might be limited on the recipes that you can personally try. Don't be discouraged! This is something that you're doing and will take some working at but stick with it.

If you're out and about or are just looking for something on a night you don't want to cook, you can find a number of vegetarian options when eating out. Many restaurants will have vegetarian options that you can choose from and then draw inspiration when figuring out something to cook at home. I know some of the recipes that I really enjoy cooking nowadays are things that I was inspired to research after eating out.

Options for eating out would include Chipotle - their vegetarian options have actually just recently increased, they have a new Sofritas option which is a braised tofu which I think is pretty damn good. I wouldn't get french fries from McDonalds (has beef flavoring, I believe) but you could always go with a pizza if you like as well. Just gotta look around.

Good luck!
Old 04-23-2013, 11:37 PM
rau
Something Custom

Car Info: 2018 Grand Cherokee Limited Ecodiesel EOC Stage 1
I'm mostly pescatarian but not for health reasons. 95% of the time my protein is fish but I wont say no to a steak or burger. Depending on your dietary restrictions mostly anything made with beef/chicken/etc can be made with fish. I cant recommend anything though. Dont know whats wrong with you.

PS Dont know if youre Portuguese or a Ronaldo Souza fan but props on the username
Old 04-24-2013, 12:57 AM

Car Info: Reason
Was raised 100% completely vegetarian, but I do eat fish now -- occasionally.
Old 04-24-2013, 07:14 AM

Car Info: 90 s13 hb, 87 gts, 08 frontier
So I have pretty bad bowel issues, tracked what I ate for about a week, and found that pork, chicken, and beef were the main causes of me not being able to break down my food. can't be the protein since I can eat eggs and fish, all I know is that I feel much better without the meat intake. I'm going to look for some outubr videos, never thought of that, just wanted to see if anyone had any favorites to try.

and yes rau, I'm half Brazilian, gators and crocodiles are sick, but souza is one of those fighters that will always be one of the legends to me. his fights with Mayhem are intense

Posted from I-club.com App for Android
Old 04-24-2013, 07:35 AM

Car Info: 05 wrx wagon, 90 celica alltrac, 66 mustang
Try some vegetarian restaurants! My favorite is Garden Fresh in Mountain View. Scallion pancakes are the sheeez but the "BBQ sweet and sour pork" is the best!
Old 04-24-2013, 07:43 AM

Car Info: 06 WRB Wagon #wackfitmentsteex
If your having bowel/ digestion issues I'd focus on your fiber intake, get **** moving properly (no pun intended). Most fiber in our diets comes from veggies and whole grains, so I'd recomend learning how to cook veggies at home. Veggies such as broccoli, Chard, kale, anything dark green really are the ones that will benefit you the most. Personally, I have to cook my veggies a certain way for me to enjoy them. Disclaimer * I don't cook veggies the healthy way, I cook them the delicious way *
Start by melting butter in the pan, then add some minced garlic and a bit of lemon zest. Throw in your veggies and get them coated in the garlic butter. Depending on how much butter your willing to use (the more butter the better it will taste, however it is not super healthy ) add a splash of water and cover and cook for about 7 minutes or so. Remove the lid occasionally to season / stir your veggies. When they are cooked to your liking ( remember, the less cooked the more fiber ) squeeze a half a lemon over the veggies and enjoy.
This simple process works with just about any group of vegetables, and while it is not the most health smart means of preparation , it can be a nice way to ease into a dietary transformation.
Hope this was helpful.
Old 04-24-2013, 09:46 AM

Car Info: 2006 OBP STI
My wife and I are kinda vegan. I say kinda because for about the last six months no meat, no cheese, no fish. But I have cheated and got a burrito every now and then. There's lots of awesome stuff to eat.

We shop at Sprouts about 90% of the time for groceries. Lots of options. Some ideas are meatless chicken curry. Just buy the curry packet, some frozen fake chicken (looks, tastes and feels legit!). and some rice and its bomb. For something quick there's the brand Tofurky. They make a frozen vegan pepperoni pizza with legit looking and tasting cheese. The "cheese" was a major selling point since most vegan cheese flavored products don't melt like natrual cheese. And lastly boca burgers for days! With veganaise (vegan mayo), veggies and fries.

Anywho, sprouts is legit, but can be a bit pricy. When we first went vegan we spent about 300 bucks just to get started. but now we only spend about 100 bucks a week tops on the both of us and eat pretty good.

Good luck man! (like I said I will stray and eat the occasional carne asada burrito or some b dubs, but it does mess with my stomach if i've been eating vegan for a few weeks.)
Old 04-24-2013, 10:56 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2018 Golf R Variant
Originally Posted by buzzword
Was raised 100% completely vegetarian, but I do eat fish now -- occasionally.
That's pretty cool, I don't often hear of this. My sister is vegetarian, and her kids don't really like meat but they do eat it sometimes. What do you use for a primary protein source? Do you feel any difference in yourself if when you eat fish? Seems like if you were working out or something, the rebound would be faster with more protein, but that is a knowledge-free comment.

My pops did a lot of vegetarian cooking when I was a kid, but we were not vegetarian. We rarely ate any red meats, but did have lots of chicken (that we raised ourselves) and fish. One thing I remember a lot was he would marinate tofu in tamari or shoyu and grill it. It was really good. He would take the pieces and just brush gently with some light olive oil first so they would not stick.

My daughter pretty much will not touch any meat of any kind. It's pretty funny, but she really loves vegetables and cheese and stuff like that but will absolutely not touch any sort of beef, and has eaten chicken maybe 3 or 4 times. She's 2.

Also to the OP, have you tried any supplements like psyllium husks or anything like that for digestion? I have issues as well when I eat heavy meals or anything from a restaurant chain, and the psyllium husks have solved the problem for me. Got to drink lots of water but it will turn your pooper into a mortar canon.
Old 04-24-2013, 11:03 AM

Car Info: 2015 WRX Limited (sold 2009 WRX beast)
I work for a holistic nutrition and chef college. Im not veg but I enjoy almost all the recipes here that the chef class makes. If your eating for health related reasons you can check out the recipe exchange blog for ideas.
Recipe Exchange

Things like ginger and garlic help the digestive track. Another good source of protein is Quinoa. You cook it like rice and is really good as a pilaf.

Some recipes to try:
http://allrecipes.com/recipe/quinoa-...ns/detail.aspx
http://allrecipes.com/recipe/quinoa-...ms/detail.aspx

Last edited by kwiksilverwrx; 04-24-2013 at 11:23 AM.
Old 04-24-2013, 11:07 AM

Car Info: 2001 Acura TL - 2016.5 Mazda CX-5
Originally Posted by wombatsauce
That's pretty cool, I don't often hear of this. My sister is vegetarian, and her kids don't really like meat but they do eat it sometimes. What do you use for a primary protein source? Do you feel any difference in yourself if when you eat fish? Seems like if you were working out or something, the rebound would be faster with more protein, but that is a knowledge-free comment.

My pops did a lot of vegetarian cooking when I was a kid, but we were not vegetarian. We rarely ate any red meats, but did have lots of chicken (that we raised ourselves) and fish. One thing I remember a lot was he would marinate tofu in tamari or shoyu and grill it. It was really good. He would take the pieces and just brush gently with some light olive oil first so they would not stick.

My daughter pretty much will not touch any meat of any kind. It's pretty funny, but she really loves vegetables and cheese and stuff like that but will absolutely not touch any sort of beef, and has eaten chicken maybe 3 or 4 times. She's 2.

Also to the OP, have you tried any supplements like psyllium husks or anything like that for digestion? I have issues as well when I eat heavy meals or anything from a restaurant chain, and the psyllium husks have solved the problem for me. Got to drink lots of water but it will turn your pooper into a mortar canon.
I started to laugh out loud in class and everyone looked at me.
Old 04-24-2013, 12:04 PM

Car Info: 97' Dodge Cummins and an RSTI thingie
I was mostly vegan for like 2-3 years and now I'm 100% vegetarian. The bay area -- specifically Oakland has been coined as the new veggie mecca. There's sooooo many good places in the area. I've went veg initially because health reasons, and the more I looked into the treatment of food (not just meat) in the US, I decided that I didn't want to eat any of the crap that's pushed to people.

Try Source Vegetarian in SF (they have some kinda gnarly stuff that's raw and vegan, but I usually get their pizza, it's bomb)
Souly Vegan in Oakland, get their BBQ tofu, it's pretty much amazing. Next door is beer revolution where you can get beers that you've never heard of, are delicious and have more alcohol content in one beer than some six pakcs lol
Bobby G's pizza in Berkeley
Flaco's Taco's in Berkeley
Golden Lotus in Oakland
Ike's Sandwiches have a whole veggie/vegan portion of the menu
Good Karma in San Jose

My typical diet consists of the following:
Breakfast
Almond milk late or coffee with the almond milk, cliffbar or protein bar and granola for breakfast with a banana

Lunch/Dinner

Sandwiches:
Pita pocket with salad greens (romaine, chard sometimes), grape tomato, avocado, grilled tofu or sliced field roast sausage links (the sundried tomato are my favorite, they're made from wheat protein) with either spicy hummus or a vinaigrette dressing.

Pesto on sour dough with artichoke hearts, sundried tomatoes, roasted red peppers, feta or swiss cheese and grill the sandwich so the cheese melts.

Avocado, baked tofu slice (marinated in soy sauce) with the trader joe's reduced fat mayo. The mayo is not made from eggs, it's made from soy so its vegan friendly and way better for you

I also like to make bean burritos (beans are actually a good source of protein) with a whole wheat tortilla, diced and grilled onions, green or red peppers, guacamole, spicy salsa and sometimes cheese.

Trader Joes has frozen stuff that's vegetarian that I like to eat if I'm being lazy, they include: black bean taquitos, black bean enchiladas, Spankopeda (sp? it's like a pan of baked spinach croissants), several salads. Several pastas, they have gorgonzola ravioli with a peso sauce which is effin amazing.

Last edited by code3suby; 04-24-2013 at 12:18 PM.
Old 04-24-2013, 02:19 PM
previously known as wrxBRAH

Car Info: 2004 FXT
Adding a probiotic like VSL3 will do wonders for your digestive health. How do I know this? because Ive had two major gastrointestional surgeries and have dealt with UC majority of my life.

I was raised vegetarian and there is no way I could go back. I love my meat too much. (no homo)
Old 04-24-2013, 02:32 PM

Car Info: '11 STI
you can eat at any south indian food places and overall a lot of indian food is vegetarian. And the home cooked recipes are no where near as heavy as the ones you find at restaurants.
Old 04-24-2013, 02:43 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Corvette Z51
Asian vegetarian restaurants that cater to religious populations are often so tasty that you won't miss meat. In fact, they are so delicious that even a fatty omnivore like me will go out of my way to have a vegetarian meal every so often! Chinese and Thai/SE Asian eateries that cater to Buddhists and Indian/South Asian restaurants that cater to Hindus/Jains are my recommendation to you!

Quick Reply: Is anybody here Vegetarian/Pescatarian?