anybody here into Pride FC, UFC, K1?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2004, 06:28 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Corvette Z51
Originally posted by armlock
Choku, if you are in SF, the best place for Muay Thai is Fairtex. http://www.fairtex.com
I'm not really sure i'd call an armbar a cheapo fighting move though.
Yeah I know about Fairtex but I've been kinda hesitant to join since Alex Gong was gunned down. I know it sounds kinda jacked up but you know what I mean right?
Armbars are legit, but hugging a guy and humping him on the ground til he taps out just ain't cool
Old 02-14-2004, 08:47 PM
Dahveed aka Robin Hood

Car Info: (RIP) '04 STi Silver
I'd like to see you so fearlessly go after 300-500lb. monsters...

Originally posted by Choku Dori
Armbars are legit, but hugging a guy and humping him on the ground til he taps out just ain't cool
Old 02-14-2004, 09:00 PM
Old School

Car Info: '99 RBP GM6
Originally posted by dahveed
I'd like to see you so fearlessly go after 300-500lb. monsters...
if you're speaking of the rack on the chick in your avatar, i'm game...

-Gagan

Last edited by joltdudeuc; 02-14-2004 at 09:48 PM.
Old 02-14-2004, 09:01 PM
Dahveed aka Robin Hood

Car Info: (RIP) '04 STi Silver
lol
Old 02-14-2004, 09:18 PM

Car Info: 2004 Silver WRX Wagon
Well Choku, a submission is a submission and it really doesn't matter how you do it as long as it gets you the tap. There are many positional subtleties in the ground game. What looks like "humping" to you is actually a superior offensive position. If you are going to train Vale Tudo, you will have to spend time on the mat in these positions b/c vale tudo is a hybrid of brazilian jiu jitsu combined with striking. Most of the top MMA guys are jiu jitsu black belts. Noguiera, Bustamante, Sperry, Arona even Vanderlei recently received his BB in jiu jitsu. Even though Gong is no longer at Fairtex, I don't think that should steer you away from that organization. If you look at their schedule of classes, it looks like it could be a one stop shop for you, with Muay Thai, Jiu jitsu, boxing and wrestling. If you want to experience some high level jiu jitsu you can go see Kurt Osiander @ Ralph Gracie in SF or Charles Gracie in south SF/Daly City.
Old 02-16-2004, 04:03 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Corvette Z51
That's exactly why Vale Tudo is so interesting: it's quite well-rounded in that it involves striking, ground work, and grappling/submissions. I guess maybe I will check Fairtex out after all.
BTW, does anyone know much about World Team USA Muay Thai? I talked to these two cute Thai girls a few days ago and they said that they practice there. They gave me an informational syllabus thing and told me to swing by sometime. Anyone know if the place is any good?
Heh, as for the humping, it's just a joke. When it comes to ground work, I find that the Gracie style is just kinda, well, let's just say it isn't so appealing to me as other forms of ground fighting (Sakuraba shooting and grappling is more impressive IMHO). I just think that striking is still an important part of the game, and the lack of striking in Gracie/Brazilian style jiu-jitsu kinda turns me off. And toe-stomping doesn't count as striking (which I've seen Royce Gracie do in a number of fights)
As always armbar, thanks for the good MMA info.