Anybody get a discount on pelican led lights?

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2009, 11:58 AM

I have had experience with both Surefire and Fenix brand flashlights, and like them both a lot. As for Surefire, I would think that a standard G2 LED would be sufficient for most uses - 80 lumens, runs off of 2 123A batteries, 12hrs, etc. and you can probably find it for about $60. I have an older non-LED G2 which I converted with a new aftermarket LED lamp, and I love it.

My EDC is a Fenix E01 - 10 lumens, runs off of 1 AAA battery, and lasts for 21hrs, and is small enough to carry around all the time without even noticing its there. A buddy of mine has the TK series light from Fenix, and it is also nice.
________
Toys bondage

Last edited by kyoung05; 03-30-2011 at 09:21 AM.
Old 04-28-2009, 06:50 PM
Friendly Neighborhood Ogre

Car Info: GUNATICS.COM
Oh, another thing thats great about the Lenser P14 light I posted about is that it uses REGULAR batteries! No more dealing with those expensive *** 123 battiers, etc.

If you use Nihm batteries or lithium ones you get more light and waaaay longer run time... I think with lithium batteries you're going to be running about 4 hours!
Old 04-28-2009, 08:47 PM
ish

Car Info: 2009 wrx & 2000 4runner
In addition to the lights that brucelee has mentioned, a couple good ones and decent palm size are the Wolf Eyes HO Sniper (260 lumen) and the Fenix TK11 (225 lumen)

I have both of them and they both run on 2 CR123 batteries. The wolf eyes is a little brighter, but has more of a flood pattern while the Fenix has tighter beam and so it seems brighter since it is more focused. Both are in the $75 range and super bright.
Old 04-28-2009, 08:56 PM

^^^

Those sound pretty cool but the downside is the type of batteries they use... the CR123 batteries cost around $4 each!

That's the only reason I wouldn't buy those lights... I use flashlights A LOT and I just can't afford to go through batteries like I can with the Lenser P14 that uses regular batteries (like AA in a cradle that holds 3 AA batteries in a D cell sized group, if that makes sense to you).

Ryan, you got to use my Lenser P14 briefly when we stopped to fix my intercooler that one night... I made you focus the beam pattern so you could see how it worked. Remember?
Old 04-28-2009, 09:07 PM
ish

Originally Posted by brucelee
^^^

Those sound pretty cool but the downside is the type of batteries they use... the CR123 batteries cost around $4 each!

That's the only reason I wouldn't buy those lights... I use flashlights A LOT and I just can't afford to go through batteries like I can with the Lenser P14 that uses regular batteries (like AA in a cradle that holds 3 AA batteries in a D cell sized group, if that makes sense to you).

Ryan, you got to use my Lenser P14 briefly when we stopped to fix my intercooler that one night... I made you focus the beam pattern so you could see how it worked. Remember?
Yeah, great light, I am not trying to knock it at all. The nice thing about the CR123 though is being able to get 6 watts with little space. I recently picked up a 50 pack of cr123s for $51 shipped. not quite the $4 each price tag. If you are buying one or two at a time, then yes, they will cost you that much.

For everyday use, for sure go with something that uses AA batteries. The two that I use all the time, a 3AA LED min-mag and a Streamlight 66318 pen light (1 AA battery) are both great lights as well.

Last edited by ish; 04-28-2009 at 09:10 PM.
Old 04-28-2009, 09:40 PM

Damn, $51 for 50 of them SHIPPED is a friggin STEAL!

I have quite a few flashlights that take CR123's, from my weapon lights to higher end LED flashlights. I hate buying those damn thijh
Old 04-28-2009, 10:15 PM
ish

looks like battery prices have dropped a little since I bought last

All-battery.com cr123 lithium battery 1300 mAh 50 pack

use coupon code "COUPON15" for 15% off. coupon expires 4/30/09. I am sure though that another 15% coupon will come along soon as I had used a different 15% off coupon back in January.
Old 04-28-2009, 11:25 PM

Ryan, you should post that deal on gunatics in the optics/lights section! I know almost every gunny on gunatics has at least one light that uses those batteries, and I know there are quite a few of folks who are like me and you (light fanatics) that would really appreciate this!

We even had a discussion a while back regarding the price of these batteries
Old 04-29-2009, 07:27 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2018 Golf R Variant
Ryan, you should post that deal on gunatics in the optics/lights section! I know almost every gunny on gunatics has at least one light that uses those batteries, and I know there are quite a few of folks who are like me and you (light fanatics) that would really appreciate this!

We even had a discussion a while back regarding the price of these batteries
Yeah these prices make these silly batteries not too bad. Last time I checked (it's been a while) you could get that 50 for 51 deal and a 20 for 21 deal on eBay any time for the actual Surefire batteries. Not sure if they are any better.

I once saw a set of CR123's for sale in Hawaii for $14.99 for two!!! I bought my pops an INOVA T3, and got him an Ultralast CR123 rechargable set. It was around $10 at Fry's and so awesome, I grabbed one and thought I would get another couple sets if my pops said they worked well. Never seen them again, though I would prolly buy a few sets.
Old 05-02-2009, 05:50 AM

Any updates on what you got? I'm all excited like as if I were getting a flashlight... heheh, I'm that much of a flashlight fanatic!

So what'd ya get? what'd ya get? huh-huh-huh??? What'd ya get?
Old 08-14-2009, 01:56 PM

Car Info: 1.8L FWD
I'd much rather get a high quality light right off the bat and not have to deal with inferior parts that break/fail with other lights... Do you really want to put your safety and well being in the hands of some inferior light made in China? I know I don't!

Actually, I'd avoid buying any safety equipment that is made in China, especially something like a flashlight, something you rely on, something you don't want to fail you when you need it most.
Now that I know that you're on a $100 budget, here's the light you should get:

I reviewed this light for www.gunatics.com and it passed my tests with flying colors. I use it almost daily and would recommend it to anyone! This light has 220 lumens and very long battery life, 2 light modes, and two switch modes. Here's my review:

From: http://www.gunatics.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4903

All this for around $69 or so. The retail is $130ish, but like I said, you can easily find it for the $69 range.

This is one of the few flashlights that I gave an A+ to. The great part about this light is the fact that the beam goes from SUPER FOCUSED beam to a really wide flood, and the flood hardly has any dark areas in the beam (like Maglights have) so it illuminates everything evenly. You can use it for ANYTHING. It also has two light modes, dim light for reading maps and such, and the full brightness mode which is around 220 lumen. You can also click the light so it stays on, or you can use it as a pressure switch.

I liked it so much that I bought another one for myself (The smaller version), and bought my parents the P14 model as a gift.

Most lights are just fixed beams of light which is good for some applications, but this light can be used for literally anything... 220 lumen and the ability to focus the beam from super wide to super tight. I bet if we tested the light you posted vs this one that this light would beat that light in every single category.
I bought a P14 and guess what I saw on the box..."Made in China." Going to throw your flashlight away now?