Anybody get a discount on pelican led lights?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2009, 04:49 PM

Anybody get a discount on pelican led lights?

Any coppers or rescue people here get a discount on these led lights?
Old 04-27-2009, 05:06 PM

Car Info: Cage and Slicks and Wing OH MY!!
probably some where, pelilcans are nice, but they are made of plastic.

Id get a stinger, almost as bright, but the housing will last longer. (and a good impromptu impact weapon)
Old 04-27-2009, 05:46 PM

plastic, dang for the price of the pelican 7060 i didnt think it was plastic.
Old 04-27-2009, 06:01 PM

Car Info: 13 Taco Double Cab 4x4/ 71 Datsun 510
I like Surefire myself.. I suppose it's a matter of opinion..
Old 04-27-2009, 06:56 PM

im looking at the coast 83 lumen for 49 bucks. Anything better? I want battery life/lumens. hi output is clutch. Its called tactical power chip

Last edited by slow04wrx; 04-27-2009 at 07:16 PM.
Old 04-27-2009, 07:18 PM

Im looking for advice fyi, not just a discount. Brucelee where u at

what about this
http://www.extremetacticaldynamics.c...products_id=35

Last edited by slow04wrx; 04-27-2009 at 07:25 PM.
Old 04-27-2009, 08:23 PM
Friendly Neighborhood Ogre

Car Info: GUNATICS.COM
Get an HID light or an even more insane Borealis 1050.

You can get an 3,000 Lumen HID flashlight for around $300 nowadays which is good for search and rescue, etc.

If you want to go even crazier, you can get a flashlight called a Borealis 1050, it's a XENON flashlight which uses a maglight body, only its about 11x brighter then a 3D cell maglight. It's much more intense then any HID light out there even though it's 1050 lumens rather then the insane HID 3000 lumen, thats due to the focus of the beam and the temperature of the light which is INSANE! No light I have ever seen has more illuminating power, or as much throw of light! It's so intense that if you hold it 6 inches away from your bare flesh, it will start burning you within a matter of seconds. If you buy a certain focusing lens for it you can actually catch things on fire with the intense beam. I've seen people set newspaper and other paper on fire.

We have a police officer who posts here (BrokenArrow) who just recently got one as hus duty light after I talked him into it... He can vouch for how amazing this light is, he looooves the thing and he's seen all sorts of flashlights in his years of law enforecement.

GlennSpen, who posts here just got one too and he thinks its the coolest thing ever.

Each one is hand made by an engineer who is a flashlight EXPERT.

Not only is the one of the most intense lights you can get, it's also very practical because its re-chargeable and has a 1 hour run time (for that much power that is INSANE!), and looks just like a regular 3D cell maglight. The best part is, you can use it as a weapon... Not by hitting someone with it, but by burning and blinding them.

HID lights are really cool, but the light is always a blueish hue and not nearly as intense as the xenon light that comes out of the borealis. HID lights also typically are wide beams that scatter, which is like a flood light, good for searching and stuff... But if you want a tactical light that will that will outperform almost any other light and is more then just a flashlight, get a Black Bear BOREALIS tactical flashlight, you wont ever regret it.

Here is a video of the BOREALIS catching a newspaper on FIRE!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FCrwelQUTMc

Lets see a surefire do that!

Here is all the info you need on the Black Bear BOREALIS Tactical light:
http://www.gunatics.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1751

And for reviews of other quality lights by REAL LIFE people, cops, military and civilian, check out the Optics forum on www.gunatics.com , you'll find lots of good info from real people:
http://www.gunatics.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=13

(BTW, Surefires are good, but they are such a ripoff!)
Old 04-27-2009, 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by slow04wrx
Im looking for advice fyi, not just a discount. Brucelee where u at

what about this
http://www.extremetacticaldynamics.c...products_id=35
I know there are a lot of lights out there that claim to be great, and can be had for a good price like the one you posted above, but in my experience with flashlights, I'd stray away from weird off brands that have high claims. Just because they claim that they have high output doesn't mean they are good. Lots of the other parts on these lights tend to fail rather quickly, like switches and such...

I'd much rather get a high quality light right off the bat and not have to deal with inferior parts that break/fail with other lights... Do you really want to put your safety and well being in the hands of some inferior light made in China? I know I don't!

Actually, I'd avoid buying any safety equipment that is made in China, especially something like a flashlight, something you rely on, something you don't want to fail you when you need it most.

PS: Black Bear makes other flashlights with less power and more battery life if 1,050 lumen is too much for you. I will never stop recommending Black Bear lights, their stuff is really high quality... They use the best stuff on the market.
Old 04-27-2009, 08:43 PM

Car Info: 97' Dodge Cummins and an RSTI thingie
I'm not a huge fan of surefire because they're overpriced in my opinion.

I have the habit of losing crap while at work, and I've learned that I can't carry an expensive light or knife that's small because it either falls off of my belt when I hop in the truck or ends up in the pants, and gets washed.

I stick to smith and wesson stuff, durable enough to get the job done, but cheap enough to replace it without breaking the bank. I like the streamlight.
Old 04-27-2009, 09:04 PM

I want to spend 100 or so,
Old 04-27-2009, 10:34 PM

Now that I know that you're on a $100 budget, here's the light you should get:

I reviewed this light for www.gunatics.com and it passed my tests with flying colors. I use it almost daily and would recommend it to anyone! This light has 220 lumens and very long battery life, 2 light modes, and two switch modes. Here's my review:

From: http://www.gunatics.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4903

It's been a few months since I acquired my LED LENSER P-14 flashlight, since then I've used this light as my primary which means that it has been used for almost any task.

Upon first inspection, the light passed my quality assessment with flying colors! It is made from aircraft aluminum, has a projection front lens which is focus adjustable using an almost instantaneous switch that makes the beam into a very focused spotlight to a cone-like solid beam (the beam is solid with no dark spots thanks to the way the lens throws the light). Has a pressure switch on the cap (off-constant-pressure). It takes 4 AA batteries, only they are not stacked on top of each other, they use a battery pack similar to what the Borealis 1050 uses, its like a sort of cradle that you put 4 batteries into and then you put the cradle into the flashlight.

Now onto the light segment. The P14 called this category its own. I believe this model has 220lumen of light, coupled with its ingenious focusing feature, you get to use every single lumen as it was intended! If you want a broader cone-like beam (with no dark spots!!!), or if you want a very intense spotlight, this is the light for you.

I was very amazed at the output considering that it takes 4 AA, you don't hear me complaining! It's also very easy to carry with you since it doesn't weigh an arm and a leg (even though it does have good weight to it). Very sturdy design which means that it can take some abuse (like cracking someone across the face wouldn't damage it, it's too solid).

The battery life on this thing is INSANE which is another reason I love it! No more having to worry about lame *** batteries! 180 HOURS of life @ 175lumen! (seems so much brighter then that)

All this for around $69 or so. The retail is $130ish, but like I said, you can easily find it for the $69 range.

This is one of the few flashlights that I gave an A+ to. The great part about this light is the fact that the beam goes from SUPER FOCUSED beam to a really wide flood, and the flood hardly has any dark areas in the beam (like Maglights have) so it illuminates everything evenly. You can use it for ANYTHING. It also has two light modes, dim light for reading maps and such, and the full brightness mode which is around 220 lumen. You can also click the light so it stays on, or you can use it as a pressure switch.

I liked it so much that I bought another one for myself (The smaller version), and bought my parents the P14 model as a gift.

Most lights are just fixed beams of light which is good for some applications, but this light can be used for literally anything... 220 lumen and the ability to focus the beam from super wide to super tight. I bet if we tested the light you posted vs this one that this light would beat that light in every single category.

Last edited by brucelee; 04-27-2009 at 10:50 PM.
Old 04-27-2009, 10:51 PM

Edited the above to add info about the Lenser P14.
Old 04-28-2009, 01:07 AM

damn thats awesome dude thank you. yeah id be willing to spend up to 150 but thats all i can do.I'll take a look on my own but if you know a good place to get it for the 69 let me know. so it juices to 220 lumens w stock setup?

Last edited by slow04wrx; 04-28-2009 at 01:11 AM.
Old 04-28-2009, 04:11 AM

The quoted lumens are the real out the front lumen not the lumens of the emitter.

The quoted lumens are 172, but like I mentioned, these are the actual lumens measured out of the front lumen, and not the lumens measured out of the emitter which is sort of like doing crank horse power and brake horse power. The standard way of measuring lumens is out of the emitter (the crank), whereas this one is measured at the wheels.

So even though its 172 wheel lumens, it's actually more like 200+ crank lumens.

Its been a long time since I was into the tech stuff with flashlights, but Im pretty certain about it.

Needless to say, its a bright flashlight. You can get one at Frys electronics for $70 I think.

You can try mine out if you come out to the Wednesday night Zen cafe meet off automall in Fremont. Meet starts at 9, I'll be there and so will my flashlight.
Old 04-28-2009, 09:56 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2018 Golf R Variant
Brucelee's recommendation looks awesome, nice light. Personally I have had a load of flashlights over the years, and my favorites have been INOVA LED lights. I am sure some will disagree, but I have had on hand Stingers (great light, expensive, runs out quick and gets retarded hot to the touch as mine was incandecent), Surefires and several others including LED converted MAGs and such, and I always end up with an INOVA in my pocket. The light is very white, and some don't like it - but for $100 from Fry's I have not seen anything I personally like better than my current INOVA T4. It's rechargable with a base and 12v plugs, 175 lumens with a low-mode and a safety pulse (AKA wife annoy mode). Says it has a 2hr runtime but I have not yet run it down in a weekend of camping. Also have a T3, T2, X03, X0, and two 4D LED MAGs in case any of the small ones run out. Plus a LED MAG shining into a 2.5gal water bottle makes a great camping light.

Quick Reply: Anybody get a discount on pelican led lights?