Anybody do any Touge up here in the Bay Area?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2004, 12:47 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 00 BRP RS LIC'd 01 EJ207 + non DCCD 6 Speed
Damn, so much shunning. I was just asking if it happened, there will always be people doing stupid shiet...its a fact of life. Im not saying we should go do it and just go completely ***** out. I have a little more sense than that, thank you very much. Of course there are way too many things that one cannot control, IE traffic, bikers, pedestrians, etc. It would however be fun to do on a CLOSED course, I think. How else is someone supposed to gain experience? Not everyone can afford racing schools, which, is still no excuse for flying around on public roads wrecklessly, but admit it, you all like to have a nice "spirited drive" as most of us are putting it.
Old 03-02-2004, 04:26 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Corvette Z51
The way I see it: do it at night, don't compete, stay safe (as possible). And don't do O'Shaughnessey downhill on wet nights. Uphill is much more fun
Also, for those that know me, they know I drive like a little pu55y
Old 03-02-2004, 05:28 PM

Car Info: '12 STI
So who here does touge up in the Santa Cruz'ish area?
Old 03-02-2004, 06:58 PM
duo

Car Info: WRB WRX 2004
my touge(santa cruz) is well pm me to see i dont want the po to see where i drive i would be more then happy to take you along..
Ban suvs...not that i have am great which i am far from...but how do you know that people arent ****ing amazing drivers...im sure aaron is but im just asking.(seriously just a question im curious). I am going on the monterey drive this weekend. Yes keep the driving to late late night..i usually sit at the bottom of the hill for a while before i start up and if to much traffic then i will call it off and go to a parking lot.
Old 03-02-2004, 07:07 PM
Chewwwwy

Car Info: Random, yet well planed selection of jdm cult cars
Originally posted by dorifto88
werd on pashnit.com

dan, trying going to hamilton thru quimby.
the first time i went thru that way i nearly pissed in my pants.
consecutive vertical hairpins, scary stuff when ur coming out bogging in 2nd lol
Mike, i remember when you, tommy and i went up to the park to take pix, only to get eaten alive by the mosquitoes...
Old 03-02-2004, 07:10 PM
Old School

Car Info: '99 RBP GM6
Re: Anybody do any Touge up here in the Bay Area?

Originally posted by EndlessWaltz RS

*EDIT* I should rephrase....real Touge, as in start and finish, 1 on 1, so as to avoid more smartass comments.

Here is a smartass remark... and it's true also: there are NO known touge's in the US.

touge: closed tarmac course intended for rallye use.

now, do we do backroad runs? yes, and have been for years now. But nothing race style, just more follow the leader, run fast, hard, and work on smoothness, and skill.

-Gagan
Old 03-02-2004, 07:16 PM
Old School

Originally posted by tk5dan
depends what part of calaveras your on.

If you go left here then yes it does become pretty narrow and you do have to watch out for other cars. If you continue straight it stays 2 laned but there arent many turns and the road only goes for another 5 miles or so.

From the picture you posted, turning left would take you onto calaveras rd. going straight, the road turns into Sierra rd, and is longer than 5 miles. within 3-4 miles, the road becomes 1 lane, as you head east, and i mean, ONE LANE. Like, "here comes the post office jeep, better pull into the next turn out, so he can get by..." one lane... lol

that road is fun too, but you can toast the brakes coming down.

-Gagan
Old 03-02-2004, 07:18 PM
Chewwwwy

Car Info: Random, yet well planed selection of jdm cult cars
Originally posted by odyss3y

Now, I'm all for spirited drives, but there is no pressure then. When people are pressured while driving, stupid **** happens.

Word on that and the n00b factor thing... i keep seeing kids driving way too fast on twisties with absolutely no experience. if people think that you can just go up in the mountains the day you get your license and drive fast, that is just plain stupidity.

and yes edgar, you can get a ride!
Old 03-02-2004, 07:25 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: get on!get on!get on!get on!get on!get on!get on!get on!
Originally posted by international B
Mike, i remember when you, tommy and i went up to the park to take pix, only to get eaten alive by the mosquitoes...
LOL yeah

too bad you aint brown like me
the mosquitios didnt touch me!
Old 03-02-2004, 07:25 PM
Old School

I was just on mines friday, and then sunday coming home.

3.5 mile marker to the 14.5 mile marker (left turn at del valle fork, and up the hill), in the rain, to the camp entrance, approx 11 miles, 16mins.

same thing, dry, on sunday, down hill this time, 12mins, with about 1-1.5 mins getting eaten up behind a rancher. He eventually let me pass him, but that's a lot of time that i was behind him. good thing it was from the very beginning.

some other roads are:

kings mountain, 84 to the coast, tunitas creek, pescadero rd, grizzly peak (warning: gravel), redwood rd (warning: gravel), Palomeras Rd as Dan talked about, Sierra Rd, Patterson Pass, Sleepy Hollow, Mines, hwy 130 (hamilton rd, and the back side into the central valley)

many, many more... espically around santa cruz, and off the hwy 35 (Skyline rd).

Just stay safe everyone.

-Gagan
Old 03-02-2004, 07:26 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: get on!get on!get on!get on!get on!get on!get on!get on!
Originally posted by international B
Word on that and the n00b factor thing... i keep seeing kids driving way too fast on twisties with absolutely no experience. if people think that you can just go up in the mountains the day you get your license and drive fast, that is just plain stupidity.

and yes edgar, you can get a ride!
ME TOO ME TOO!
Old 03-02-2004, 09:04 PM

Car Info: 1993/2000/2001 GF4 mostly red
Originally posted by duo
my touge(santa cruz) is well pm me to see i dont want the po to see where i drive i would be more then happy to take you along..
Ban suvs...not that i have am great which i am far from...but how do you know that people arent ****ing amazing drivers...im sure aaron is but im just asking.(seriously just a question im curious). I am going on the monterey drive this weekend. Yes keep the driving to late late night..i usually sit at the bottom of the hill for a while before i start up and if to much traffic then i will call it off and go to a parking lot.
It's not a slight against other drivers. But I know Aaron's skill level, and more importantly, I know that he knows exactly how good he is- and doesn't do things that exceed his abilities. Remember, when driving in non-controlled environments- never let your level of bal... err, courage, exceed your reserves of skill.
Old 03-02-2004, 09:12 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 00 BRP RS LIC'd 01 EJ207 + non DCCD 6 Speed
Re: Re: Anybody do any Touge up here in the Bay Area?

Originally posted by joltdudeuc
Here is a smartass remark... and it's true also: there are NO known touge's in the US.

now, do we do backroad runs? yes, and have been for years now. But nothing race style, just more follow the leader, run fast, hard, and work on smoothness, and skill.

-Gagan
Gagan,

Thanks, i honestly didnt know that there werent any actual touge courses in the US but now that I kinda think about it, I dont know of any and have never heard of an actual course. I guess I should have rephrased it again...."touge style". What i was getting at was the one on one factor, the competition.

And about the backroad runs...I know those happen, I love them, have many under my belt and hope to continue for a long long time. Again, I probably shoulda asked my original question more clearly, as I dont really consider a back road drive a touge...unless it is, but I was under the impression that the big part about the touge was the contest between the drivers. I could most certainly be wrong tho.
Old 03-02-2004, 10:27 PM

Car Info: White 2000 2.5RS-Turbo
There are some incredible untapped resources in the Santa Cruz area... you have to do a little exploration

...don't pull a "Dan" and stuff it on 9

:banana: Live on! :banana:
Attached Thumbnails Anybody do any Touge up here in the Bay Area?-backyard800.jpg  
Old 03-02-2004, 10:48 PM
NZO

Car Info: 996 Turbo
Re: Re: Anybody do any Touge up here in the Bay Area?

Originally posted by joltdudeuc

touge: mountain pass

Quick Reply: Anybody do any Touge up here in the Bay Area?