Any unlocked iphone users on T-Mobile? How is the service?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2013, 08:01 PM

Car Info: 04 STi
Lightbulb Any unlocked iphone users on T-Mobile? How is the service?

I'm out of contract with ATT and considering T-Mobile. They support unlocked iphones and will soon be an official iphone carrier with much cheaper rates than ATT.

The carrier will charge a base rate of $50 per month for unlimited talk, text and 3G data, plus 500MB of 4G data. Customers can add 2GB of 4G data for $10/month per line, or $20/month for unlimited 4G. Additional lines have a base rate of $30/month for the first, and $10/month for each additional.

T-Mobile USA to Carry iPhone Beginning April 12th, Using New 'Uncarrier' Payment Plan - Mac Rumors

With ATT I pay ~ $135 for 2 lines (4 and 4s) with my corporate discount. If I switch, I can save $50 a month with Tmobile. I was with Tmobile many years ago with a standard phone but no experience with a smart phone. How is the coverage? 3G speed? As long as its not utter crap it seems like a no brainer to switch.
Old 04-07-2013, 08:06 PM

Car Info: Subaru STi Sedan '13
Seeing your location, I have a lot of friends over here that have t-mobile and they complain about their speeds and coverage. Im not sure exactly where you travel or where you live exactly so im not sure about your real "coverage" All I know is that I have some high school friends that went to t-mobile and they hate it.
Old 04-07-2013, 08:53 PM

Car Info: 03 wrx
I dont have an iPhone but I'm with T-Mobile. In short, their reception isn't all that great. My fiance and I are actually thinking of switching back to att once our contract is up.
Old 04-07-2013, 08:53 PM

Go into your local tmo store and ask if you can do a trial period. I was unsure when switching from Verizon. The salesman said I could try the service for 30 days. If I didn't like it I could just pay for the month and walk.
Old 04-07-2013, 08:57 PM

Car Info: Subaru STi Sedan '13
Originally Posted by Lorry
Go into your local tmo store and ask if you can do a trial period. I was unsure when switching from Verizon. The salesman said I could try the service for 30 days. If I didn't like it I could just pay for the month and walk.
That is a great way to test the waters. I did that with verizon before switching from sprint. Tmob was good for a bit till Verizon started taking over everything 4g LTE lol. If you are able to switch to the shared plans, they arent bad if you are near wifi a lot. I did it for my family and we saved like 250 dollars.
Old 04-07-2013, 09:13 PM

Car Info: 00RS
I dont know about all of you but i actually enjoy my iphone 5 on tmobile i get decent coverage. Their still in the process of refarming their towers in some areas.. My buddy has sprint on his iphone5 and on the same are we both get lte i still get about 1.5mb more download speed than him.. I get better call service then him also.. Majority of the time im on 2g and his on 3g i still load youtube faster than him.. Well this is just an overview of my experience with tmobile. Everyone has their own opinions and im satisfied with tmobile lol hope this helps

Here a screen shot i took a while ago on lte i think.. Doesnt really show lte or 4g just says 3g.
Any unlocked iphone users on T-Mobile? How is the service?-image-3242511340.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using i-Club
Old 04-07-2013, 09:23 PM

Car Info: 2001 Impreza 2.2L
This is a good idea.

My family's AT&T contract had expired and we were looking for a lower monthly fee with all the same features (internet, texting, etc.). T-Mobile has great prices on their monthly data and unlimited texting, so we gave it a try. We kept our AT&T lines active just in case it didn't work out. Turned out we could barely get 3G in our own house with T-Mobile. Luckily, we had the AT&T lines active still, and we only had to pay the prorated T-Mobile monthly fee.
Old 04-08-2013, 08:08 AM

Car Info: 06 WRB Wagon #wackfitmentsteex
I've had T mobile for a while now, mostly due to the price. Not gonna BS you and say that the service is as good as ATT, and it's certainly not close to Verizon. For the price the service is acceptable. Thing is, I live in a rural area where cell service comes and goes evening with the best carriers. If you live in the city or a densely populated area however, reception really shouldn't be the issue.
Here are a few things to consider..
T mobile has excellent customer service... ATT is a joke when it comes to that's. also, last time I checked many of the other carriers charge you for data overages. T mobile won't charge you for going over the two gig limit or whatever the monthly cap is, they simply slow the internet speed. In short, your bill is never gonna give you a heartattack.
Old 04-08-2013, 08:11 AM

Car Info: 06 WRB Wagon #wackfitmentsteex
This. They have plans with no long term commitment, don't be afraid to check it out.
Old 04-08-2013, 10:11 AM
Old School

Car Info: '99 RBP GM6
I'm on T-Mobile now with my Find 5. I'm enjoying the HUGE boost in speed over sprint. No contract is AWESOME. The prices are awesome.

Coverage is decent. Good enough for what I need it for. Iphone4 and up should have HSPA+ so very good 3G speeds in most of the bay area.
Old 04-08-2013, 10:18 AM

Car Info: 2011 WRX Sedan
I don't have an iPhone 5,but my brother was visiting cali and he got a ton mobile prepaid sim card, he hated it, no reception and super slow Internet.

I'm using a nexus 4 with a prepaid as well at the moment. The reception isn't that bad, but I sure wish it was stronger sometimes, and the Internet speeds are definitely slower than Verizon.

The only upside is that I'm paying 30 a month instead of Verizon $2359654 monthly bill

Sent from my Nexus 4 using i-Club
Old 04-08-2013, 10:02 PM

Car Info: 2012 WRX
I'm on T-Mobile with a Galaxy S II ( Waiting for S 4 ) for 8 months. Past month I used up 40GBs of data mainly because I tether it to my laptop , streaming Pandora in my car , and to my TV ( Faster than my Comcast Internet at home ). Their 4G 42MBs HSPA+ is quite fast and fast enough for most users. Can't wait to see how their LTE is gonna be . Don't think I've ever had a dropped call then again who talks a lot on the phone nowadays ?
Old 04-08-2013, 10:05 PM

Car Info: 2012 WRX
Originally Posted by w0ng3r
I don't have an iPhone 5,but my brother was visiting cali and he got a ton mobile prepaid sim card, he hated it, no reception and super slow Internet.

I'm using a nexus 4 with a prepaid as well at the moment. The reception isn't that bad, but I sure wish it was stronger sometimes, and the Internet speeds are definitely slower than Verizon.

The only upside is that I'm paying 30 a month instead of Verizon $2359654 monthly bill

Sent from my Nexus 4 using i-Club
Prepaid has different reception/signal vs Postpaid. Super slow because he was on E/3G since they just announced how to turn on LTE on AT&T Unlocked iPhone 5 for T-Mobile users
Old 04-08-2013, 10:43 PM

Car Info: 2003 WRX Wagon EJ25
I have a Nexus 4 on one of their special prepaid plans were I get 100 Talk minutes, unlimited data(throttled to 3g after 5Gb), and unlimited texting for 30$ a month, Its perfect for what I need it for and reception has its hiccups especially on the freeway, but in the city I get around 20Mbps which is way faster than my home internet. When im home I dont bother connecting to my wifi. It really just depends on your needs.
Old 04-08-2013, 11:42 PM

Car Info: 2000 AW 2.5RS, 2013 Cadillac Escalade
I use Tmobile with my Galaxy note and I think its decent. you know if you think about the cost to benefit ratio then I think Tmobile is pretty good for how much you pay.

Quick Reply: Any unlocked iphone users on T-Mobile? How is the service?