ANY UCSC peeps here?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2004, 05:30 PM

Car Info: 2002 MBP saloon
ANY UCSC peeps here?

So come fall, I'm off to furthur my education in Santa Cruz (from frisco). Would love to meet some fellow suby heads in the campus/area that can plug me into my new social realm.

from my visits, the city seems to be very laid back and chill.(and I hear the "plant life" in S.C. is awesome. )

I have no idea which college I'm going to be affiliated with and any suggestions will help. I am a junior transfer and am not in the bopper scene anymore so I'm not looking for the best place to get loaded everynight.

Local hangouts, cool, chill bars, where the nice dorms are etc., and any other tidbit I should know about would be stupendous.

Do you guys have any suby meets? I've seen a couple there--silver w/ mesh BBS's and a somewhat stock looking WRB.

Anyway I look forward to meeting some of you out there (if ya'll exist that is) and I would love to hear any advice. Thanks guys.

take care.
Frank
Old 05-11-2004, 06:13 PM

My friend says that Kresge is a good place for Junior transfers (she is one). There are weekly meets here, although i havent been to one. As far as drives, the local BMW guys and the local Suby guys have them every now and then.

I'm gauging interest for a car club on campus. I want to organize meetings and drives for UCSC guys and any local that wants to participate. ALSO, apparently Davis has their own AutoX club, and I think it would be awesome to have intercollegiate AutoX matches!

If you ever want to hang out when you come down, or want a tour of the place or whatever, you can totally call me up or email me.

-Dom
Old 05-11-2004, 06:17 PM

awesome--thanks dom. Will be definatly keeping in touch.
How's the social life down there? Friendly people?
Old 05-11-2004, 06:18 PM

oh, btw.,
That would be soooo dope to organize a autox down there. If there is anything I can do to get involved, lemme know.
Old 05-11-2004, 06:30 PM

People are pretty incredible here...well, most of the time. I get a MUCH better vibe from the average student on campus than I did from UCSD or UCB or pretty much anywhere else I visited. I'm in the physics program here, and I've met some great people...really good quality friends.

Im personally affiliated with Crown, and I had a lot of fun there, but it is pretty isolated (being up on the hill and all).

If you live on campus the first year, that'll really help socially, because I've pretty much heard that things are kinda dead otherwise. I havent really hit up the bars and clubs, but I just turned 21 so I plan on going soon...I've heard they're alright around here. But, there is a real lack of car-guys around here and I get extremely F-ing ansy when I cant talk cars (fortunately the dept chair is a HUGE F1 fan, so lately Ive been OK). This is why I really want to get a group of people together. Also, you would NOT believe some of the tarmac around here. Ive been mapping out some good roads lately, and some are simply unbelieveable.

Theres a lot to tell, so just call or IM whenever you get into town.

Cheers,
-Dom
Old 05-11-2004, 06:38 PM

sounds great--at least you'll have 1 person to talk cars w/.....(I dream of forced induction, nut and bolts and g-forces in my sleep.)

I'm definatley taking the dorm route for my 1st and (maybe 2nd semester) to meet new peeps. I'm just so excited to get the hell outta San fran at this point.

Lotsa lovely ladies?? w/ a 45%M vs. 55%F ratio I imagine that they DO exist! w00t!
I'm freshly 21 myself so we'll definatley have to hit some baaaaars.

Cheers mate!
Frank
Old 05-11-2004, 06:49 PM

Car Info: 2005 STi
Listen to Dom. He is the bomb.
But seriously, ive been friends with him for a while and he is a great guy. If you love driving, SC has got some roads for you. Probably run into you at some point. Good luck with the transition to Santa Cruz.
-Mike
Old 05-11-2004, 07:26 PM

Car Info: evo8
ahhh new guy in town eh,santa cruz is pretty populated with subies and there are a lot of roads to drive with.we usually go for drives on sundays or friday nights usually with just 3-5 cars so there's little attention from anybody.some of the guys meet up at scotts valley denny's or salinas if you dont mind driving 30 mins away.
Old 05-11-2004, 08:13 PM

Car Info: 04' JBP STi 02' WRB Wagon
The college that you may want to affiliate with may depend on whether you plan to live on campus and what major you're gonna be going with. Most science majors, the big 3 and computer related majors, have their classes in the kresge/c-9/10 area, also known as science hill. The linguistics program has most of their offices in stevenson, which has an incredible view for some of their dorms, as well as being very close to the track and field. I say this because the bus situation can sometimes get very hectic, and if you don't plan ahead you'll either walk (nice campus, no reason not to) or if you have back to back classes, you may never make it on time because of crowded buses or big distance between classes. The parking can also get pretty bad in the afternoon hours, i usually leave my house an hour early and get there around half an hour before class starts, and thats because my class is right next to the remote lot where i park. Expect some delays for all kinds of vehicular activities.

I've lived in Crown dorms, 9 Apartments, and been to Merill, Oakes, and College 8 dorms. Out of those i would have to say that the most "new" feeling ones were C8/9, best view goes to Stevenson, and they also have a pretty good cafe, the stevenson coffee house. Oakes was pretty huge compared to my crown dorm. I had to live there since they didn't finish the 9 dorms when i went there for the first year =p

If you're thinking of living on campus, where do you plan to leave your car during the week? The Bert lot, which is a small fenced off lot downtown, is something that you can look at, but just a precaution, i parked there during the first year in a wrb wagon and i got keyed pretty good through a car cover, although it didn't happen with a 97' grand cherokee. Maybe it was just some tough luck, or maybe someone was out to get me, just thought i'd give you a heads up.

Finally, yes there are lots of lovely ladies, but the same goes for the other end of the spectrum, unless you dig the unshaven (anywhere) hippe type (they exist but are not a huge part of the campus community).

I'm the dude with the Black 04' and the piggies, feel free to wave or approach me if you see me around!

Last edited by Seraph; 05-11-2004 at 08:21 PM.
Old 05-11-2004, 09:20 PM
Former Vendor

Car Info: Evo X
I used to go to UCSC. I graduated last year but I am still here because of my gf. But I don't have my subie anymore.

Yo, Seraph, if you see a silver protege waving at you, that would be me
Old 05-11-2004, 09:56 PM
Warm Fuzzy Admin

Car Info: 97 LOB, 05 FXT, 03 Tundra
Leo and I both were affiliated with College 8.
Hell, I liked it so much I stayed for 5 years
Old 05-12-2004, 09:14 AM

Seraph, YOU'RE the guy with the black STi...I was wondering if you were on this forum. Ive sen you around campus, man is that a nice car. I really need to get out to the events on Friday nights... I'd probably need to ride with someone on a drive though, because I dont have a car that could keep paces with a WRX.

So would any other UCSC kids be interested in the club ideas I have? Its just in the planning and scouting for support phase, but like I said before, it would be incredible to have an organization to do drives, car shows, races at Laguna Seca, and intercollegiate AutoX. The UC Davis AutoX Club has 50-60 active members. I think we could make it a big hit here too.

I hope to see all you guys the Friday meets! (Well, next week...this week I'm in the Wind Ensemble concert.)
Old 05-12-2004, 09:41 AM

Car Info: 04' JBP STi 02' WRB Wagon
Originally Posted by iBlueVirus
I used to go to UCSC. I graduated last year but I am still here because of my gf. But I don't have my subie anymore.

Yo, Seraph, if you see a silver protege waving at you, that would be me
No wonder i haven't seen any rs'es with mudflaps anymore
Old 05-12-2004, 10:25 AM
the artist formerly known as mcdrama

Car Info: WRBP 2015 WRX Premium/CVT
My brother just graduated a double major (math & physics) at UCSC, but I have never been to college there. =x
I am born and raised Santa Cruz so I know lots of fun places to drive.
My 2 favorite roads are HWY 9, and old san jose road. Granite Creek (right next to my work) is a fun road but a short drive.

on a side not, I would recommend living off campus. why?
1) Parking permits are like $500 each quarter(waste of money)
2) Going grocery shopping is a *****.
3) you can rent rooms with cool people ( check craigslist.org or santacruzsentinel.com )
4) living in the trees makes you grow hair and become a gorilla. ;P

Quick Reply: ANY UCSC peeps here?