Any Survivalists or Extreme Outdoorsmen Here?

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2008, 02:07 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: .
I hope some if you sign up for an i-club two/three day camping trip next year
Old 12-24-2008, 02:11 PM

Car Info: Hilux Double Cab with a Dishka on top
Every "survival" kit needs 550 cord. Lots of it.
Old 12-24-2008, 02:29 PM
General Pimpin'

Car Info: MY04 aspen wrx wagon.
Originally Posted by Rescuer
@OneManArmy
if you are in a group, then rope can be useful for something, but as a single person it's too bulky
the thing about that heavy bulky rope (being alone) is it pretty much get's used once if you have to get down from a ledge, you tie it to something, go down, and that's it.

on the NASAR SARTECH II pack it has "Nylon twine or small rope, 50 feet" which is what could be used to hold up shelter, or many other things.

I think surviving is very different than a hike with climbing gear

I want to do some hikes like you've done sometime in the future. There are large SAR groups that do things like this, like in yosemite.
true. Good 550 rope would be just as useful and lighter. being alone I don't know if I'd bring climbing rope unless I knew 100% that I'd need it.

Yosemite is for sissies. Go to ansel adams wilderness. It's just on the other side of yosemite and its more challenging. Just as pretty and you'll encounter FAR fewer people. On our trip we only encountered one couple except when we crossed into yosemite for about 8 miles we saw a couple groups. That couple was friggin hard core. Hooked us up some wonderful grilled brown trout.

And it's not that much different than a solo survival. Hell I think a solo survival would have been easier. I wouldn't have had to basically carry 2 people packs inside of mine and I could have probably covered more ground faster... take that back. Definitely would have. Myself and 2 guides had to guide the group split in 3 chunks through a huge rock decent in the middle of the night because most of the idiots didn't bring flashlights and they were too damn slow and cost us about 2 or 3 hours of daylight sitting on their duffs. I had fun though. I have really good night vision so it was cake for me. I think its the light eyes. My pupils are always HUGE. So much fun.

I think it would rip to do a trip like this with 4 people. Maybe 5. All capable to take care of themselves.

I've done a couple large group trips. Including one where we encountered a huge rocks slide. I cracked a couple ribs diving into a tiny overhang to avoid the rocks and another guy broke his femur jumping on a rock to keep it from hitting a couple other people. Was interesting get out of there.

Also done some small group trips. I have no doubt I could survive most situations thrown at me based mostly on strength of mind. Doesn't matter what you have with you if you panic. I have this kind of thing in mind every single time I go out of bounds snowboarding.
Old 12-24-2008, 02:30 PM
General Pimpin'

Originally Posted by Rescuer
I hope some if you sign up for an i-club two/three day camping trip next year
I'd like to do a drive/weekend camping trip. Be fun as hell.
Old 12-24-2008, 02:34 PM

Car Info: 2006 San Remo Red WRX
This used to be my job in the Air Force. One thing I would highly recommend is survival water. They come in aluminum bags. This works a lot better than the purifier tabs. Also, you might want some fish hooks, twine, and cling wrap. They all have more than one use.
Old 12-24-2008, 02:47 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: .
Originally Posted by Lurk
i've got this in my 24hour pack, but that 550 cord looks better. I might have to get some of that instead

50ft

oh, and duct tape or moleskin is very important if you get a blister when hiking

more things
a bivvy
Poison Ivy/Oak Treatment (in SAR, this is one of our biggest problems )
insect spray
sun tan lotion (unless you can stay in the shade)

Last edited by Rescuer; 12-24-2008 at 02:50 PM.
Old 12-24-2008, 03:16 PM

Car Info: LUMPY CGM 05 WRX
Yes someone else on the 550 chord band wagon. Dude with enough materiel you can make a freakin house outta 550 chord. you can gut it to make fishing line, you can melt it to make a shiv, its pretty strong so you could hang yourself if you culdnt find food, J/K
Old 12-24-2008, 03:26 PM
General Pimpin'

poison oak doesn't really grow above 4500 feet so it depends on where you're dropped. Least I've never encountered it.

suntan lotion is a good idea. I had some pretty good sun poisoning on my shoulder. Skin just pealed off. More like bubbled off really.
Old 12-24-2008, 03:28 PM

Car Info: 02 Silver WRX sedan. Eibach springs, Blitz NUR cat back, Rota 17" Attacks, Cobb AccessPort/DP
550 Cord!

Ah...you beat me to it. You could drop me off butt *** naked in the middle of nowhere with absolutely no gear except a few hundred feet of 550 cord and I'll survive...lol.