Any Survivalists or Extreme Outdoorsmen Here?

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2008, 11:47 AM

Car Info: The Latest From WayneTech.
Any Survivalists or Extreme Outdoorsmen Here?

I know we have our share of gun nuts, but what about survivalists?

I am putting together a list of basic survival gear that is aimed at the 'what if I was dropped in the woods/mountains with nothing but a pack' scenario.

Here is what I have thus far:

Teton Sports Fox 75+10L Internal Frame Backpack

United Cutlery Bushmaster® Ultimate Surival Knife with Flashlight and Kit

Yukon® Spirit™ 2x24 mm Night Vision Monocular

SL3 Knife with Integrated Swedish Firesteel

Streamlight 51021 Night Com 5-1/2-Inch Flashlight

Am I missing anything pertinent to this little kit?

Before anyone says a GPS locater; I am working to the assumption that there would be no help to locate me for a week at least and I would have to build my own shelter and collect my own food.
Old 12-24-2008, 11:51 AM

Car Info: LUMPY CGM 05 WRX
Dump the night vision and only have one knife to save on weight. Get a good magnesium fire starter and a water filter maybe add a thin steel kabob spear and youre set. Oh and dont forget the rope for some snares. Baer Grylls aint got sh^t on me.
Old 12-24-2008, 11:56 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: .
I guess it depends on what you are doing. I have a 24 hour NASAR pack (National Association For Search & Rescue), which are basic requirements for survival when doing searches. if for some reason we get lost or stuck somewhere, it's good to have that pack to survive while other searchers look for us.

this is what the pack has
http://209.85.173.132/search?q=cache...ient=firefox-a
my pack is around 35~ pounds, and this is the pack http://www.redesupply.com/PACKS-True...duct_info.html

i'm about to make a smaller pack which weighs only 8 pounds and has almost everything on the list minus the extra clothes.

I have yet to make a 48 hour pack.

survival depends on where you are and what you are doing. you don't need that huge knife, or the night vision. things like that only add more weight to your pack. if you are trying to trek out of where you are, carrying that weight will not be fun.

you need water and a bladder pack is important. or if you use those pills.... water

GPS locater is pointless if it only tells you where you are. you need a GPS that has mapping on it to tell you where you want to go.

you don't need to carry a survival handbook. read the material and learn how to survive ahead of time, so it's one less thing you need to carry.

Last edited by Rescuer; 12-24-2008 at 12:00 PM.
Old 12-24-2008, 11:57 AM

I like having the night vision because it will give me the ability to detect and see enemies while remaining hidden.

I am not concerned about weight, I have hiked 45miles with a 100lb pack in Yosemite. The SL3 knife is a nifty little gadget I found - the stick acts as a magnesium starter.

I didn't think of the spear, are there collapsible ones that are reliable? I don't want to be running around with a 4' steel spike.

Rescuer - yes the handbooks would not be included with the pack, it was moreso to show what I have read up on.

Also, I can image that S&R has helped you immensely in planning how to survive, what classes/books/online sources would recommend? Would you recommend joining a S&R group as the best way to prepare? If so, I would be very interested.

Last edited by R-Dub; 12-24-2008 at 12:00 PM.
Old 12-24-2008, 12:00 PM
03.23.67 - 06.14.13

question: WHY were you dropped in the middle of nowhere to begin with?
Old 12-24-2008, 12:01 PM
i-Club Sympathizer

Car Info: 1969 BMW R75/5 & Work Whip
Learn to use a compass and have one with you.
Old 12-24-2008, 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by ldivinag
question: WHY were you dropped in the middle of nowhere to begin with?
I was being general, the end goal is to have experience, training, knowledge and the equipment to survive if/when the S hits the fan (nations let the nukes fly, pandemic flu, Z War, etc).
Old 12-24-2008, 12:04 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by R-Dub
I like having the night vision because it will give me the ability to detect and see enemies while remaining hidden.
well, that wasn't in the original post
kinda changes things
Old 12-24-2008, 12:05 PM
VIP Member

I was being general, the end goal is to have experience, training, knowledge and the equipment to survive if/when the S hits the fan (nations let the nukes fly, pandemic flu, Z War, etc).
I think if we were going to war (locally), the best thing to have is a map with directions to bruelee's house
Old 12-24-2008, 12:05 PM

Yeah sorry, we got busy just as I was putting this together and I omitted that 'what if' situation.
Old 12-24-2008, 12:09 PM
VIP Member

Would you recommend joining a S&R group as the best way to prepare? If so, I would be very interested.
naw, search and rescue is more focused on S&R, not survival the survival parts are pretty basic since it assumes you are there on a mission to find somebody and somehow you got lost and might need to use your shelter+stuff in your pack to survive for the night, or possibly two nights.
Old 12-24-2008, 12:11 PM

Have you ever gotten lost yourself while on mission? S&R has always interested me since I was a kid.
Old 12-24-2008, 12:13 PM
VIP Member

I think a lot of things on the SAR pack I posted are important if you are in a survival situation

Space type blanket
Matches in a waterproof container
Knife, multi-purpose
Metal cup or pot
Nylon twine or small rope, 50 feet
Rainwear, durable
Shelter Material, 8x10 plastic or coated nylon (tarp)

i think a lot of the first aid kit stuff is very important. you don't want a cut to go infected
Old 12-24-2008, 12:16 PM
03.23.67 - 06.14.13

geez...

so many variables.

lemme start with reality.

in the san fran bay area, our disaster of choice is the good ol fashioned earthquake.

for me, that means BUGGING IN. it means worse case scenario, having a camping trip in the backyard, if the house gets red tagged.

fortunately, all my camping gear are easily accessible. food and water to survive 2 weeks... check.

this is the closest thing to a real world scenario for me.
Old 12-24-2008, 12:18 PM

Yes, many variables, thats why I want a 'all-around' pack that would be able to get me out of most situations alive. Kind of like a jack-of-all-trades pack.

Quick Reply: Any Survivalists or Extreme Outdoorsmen Here?