any runners out there?

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2004, 09:42 PM

Location: 1999 OBS, 1985 GTI rallycar, 1995 Miata trackcar, 2001 Ford E350 van
Car Info: 1999 OBS
For that kind of running, most of the issue is aerobics. Pretty much any kind of aerobics training will help out a lot, and to hit those marks it shouldn't take too long to get there, but you've gotta do it regularly.

If you don't like running, is there any other form of aerobic exercise that might be fun? Riding a bike? Rollerblading? Swimming? Going to a gym and using a stairstepper?

And yeah, keeping hydrated is good and important. Boosting your carb intake just before the test probably won't do a whole lot unless you're already in shape though.
Old 11-20-2004, 12:01 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 02 Subaru WRX w/ JDM Spec C
i say try running in higher elevation, maybe run hiking trails.
Old 11-20-2004, 12:44 AM
VIP Member

K, I'm training for my first marathon in April. I've ran over a hundred road races so I definitely know what I'm talking about.

Here's my advice for building endurance. Go out and run for time, not for miles. So the first time you go out, run at a comfortable pace for 15 or 20 minutes. Don't look at how far you've ran, just run ten minutes out the front door and then turn around and run back.

The next time you go out, run for 23 or 25 minutes. Again, don't worry about mileage, just the amount of time you run. After a couple of weeks of building this up, you'll really feel like pushing your time into the mid to late 40 minutes.

The key is not the speed you run for 30 or 40 minutes, but the fact is the more you push it beyond the 15:30 or whatever you have to run the easier it will get for those 15 minutes in under the time you need. Any questions, feel free to PM me.

Neil
Old 11-20-2004, 12:53 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2003 WRX, 2008 Camry
Back in my skinny days I used to run for division 10mile teams in the Army to include the Marine Corps Marathon in Washington and the occasional run in Chapel Hill, NC.

Do PT twice a day and alternate what you do each night till the PT test.

Put down 3-4 miles at a forced pace every morning till the PT test and challenge yourself on each run. Then follow up with PU and Sit-ups seeing how you'll want to max those for the other portion of the PT test. Do them PROPERLY! Last thing you want to hear is "1, 1, 1, 1, 2, 2, 2" with an ******* grader. You'll need a buddy for the sit-ups in order to properly train your abs for the buddy-assisted portion.

At night you'll want to alternate with power exercises.

For example

1)1/8 mile track sprints
2) Stair master 30minutes
3) Squats, lunges etc.
4) Maybe a forced 6mile march with a 60lb rucksack and camelback
5) Swimming
6) whatever else.

Keep the evening workouts short and sweet at 30minutes max. When it gets closer to the PT test pick evening exercises that WON'T completely smoke your legs. Maybe tone it down slightly. Don't do anything 24 hours prior to the PT test except getting hydrated and stretching.

During the morning of the PT test knock out a few (no more than 10) push-ups and sit-ups to get the muscle memory back. When you're waiting in line for each event stretch for the run but don't over stretch or you'll become too limber.

Play a song in your head, focus on staying in step with your breathing and relax. If you’re not puking at the end of your 2miles then you’re not running.

If you stick to a similar regiment and decent diet you should easily shave off 1:00-1:30 in a couple weeks. If you pick it up a notch you shouldn’t have a problem with 5:30-6:00 min miles for 10miles straight.

Goodluck!
Old 11-20-2004, 01:15 AM

Car Info: 03 Wrx black sedan + 2013 BRZ
I'd have to agree with what was mentioned before and I'll add that intervals on the track will help your stanima (sp?). I currently run about everyday myself, well try too. When I used to do track and x-coutnry we ran intervals once a week. It's a good way to get your body into oxygen depravation really quick. Of course the end result being a lot lactic acid buildup in the muscles but soon your body will get stronger and you'll be able to run faster for longer periods of time. Do short intervals, like either 200m, or 400m sprints. Then on the other days run ~3miles and just time yourself so you can see your times improve.

On a side not did anyone run the 10K mud run in San Diego a couple of weeks ago? It was my first ever mud run and I really liked it, just wondering if there are any mud run events here in the bay.

Jason
Old 11-20-2004, 12:54 PM

Car Info: with the blinkers on
I played Varsity Soccer for my high school (until the season ended like two weeks ago) and I feel that I run best after I've taken the biggest dump in my life. No seriously, it helps
Old 11-20-2004, 07:47 PM
VIP Member

I run six times a week. Like Nike said, "Just do it". Try to fit running into your lifestyle. Do not even think about the test. Start easy. Do not push. You can even start out walking. Three miles each time. Then gradually start to set goals for yourselft - Like tell yourself I'm going to finish this lap under such and such time. Keep it attainable though. At some point, tell yourself you are going to run the entire three miles non-stop. Keep setting goals and NEVER STOP. At some point, just go for the test. Your confidence will be so high you would breeze through it. Remember, half the struggle is in your head.
Old 11-20-2004, 08:23 PM

Car Info: iono nemore
Originally Posted by karamba
Remember, half the struggle is in your head.
that seems so true once i think about it
Old 11-20-2004, 08:27 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: na
Originally Posted by oct1285
funny u mention good shoes becuase my knee hurts. I was told numerous times to replace running shoes every 3months, but when do i ever listen I need to get new shoes real soon.

can anyone recommend a good light weight running shoe?

the next official test, if you didnt pass the one in november, is in january. But i want to get it over with by the start of december so i can get promoted. Its not that i'm not capable of passing it just i let myself get too lazy after they give u a big lecture about not getting lazy when u get back to the civilian world. my only consellation is that my pushups and situps went up but my run sucks donkey *****. So who wants to run with me.
Ive been comfortable in my adidas and new balances.
Old 11-20-2004, 09:44 PM

Car Info: 2004 Silver WRX Wagon
If you can, find a shop that specializes in running shoes, and have them visually analyze how you run. Additionally, bring a pair of your old running shoes. They should be able to determine if you are an over pronator, neutral or supinate. (This service should be free, by the way.) My legs have a slight bow to them, so my feet tend to supinate a bit (turn inwards). If I were to run in a shoe made to correct pronation( turn outwards) , it would kill my knees and hips. Do yourself a favor and go get fitted for the proper shoe.
Old 11-20-2004, 10:12 PM

do u kno of any stores?
Old 11-20-2004, 10:16 PM

do u kno of any stores?
I go to The Runner's Factory in Los Gatos. I've been going there since 1990. If you'd like I can call them and ask if there is a referral out in Oakland. Usually the shoe reps know who have the best stores.
Old 11-20-2004, 10:27 PM

This may help, but try to find a good shop.
http://recommsports.com/roadrunnersports/index.html
click on "Shopping Tools" and then click on "Shoe Dog"

This should give you some idea of what type of shoe to use.
Old 11-20-2004, 10:30 PM

hmm wish i knew about these specialty stores and evaluations before today becuase i already bought a pair of asics, or however u spell it, today. and thanks for ur help
Old 11-21-2004, 12:19 AM

hmm wish i knew about these specialty stores and evaluations before today becuase i already bought a pair of asics, or however u spell it, today. and thanks for ur help
You can always return them if you haven't used them yet (or, in some cases, even if you have.)

Quick Reply: any runners out there?