Any one good with computer hardware?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2008, 04:28 PM

Car Info: 96 gm(sold), 98 bk, 02 sf
Any one good with computer hardware?

I have a question for all you computer tech i-clubbers.
My situation: Yesterday I had a blackout on my street for about three hours. When the power was turned back on, my computer would not turn on. I think the power supply shorted out, since I did not see any parts fried or anything. I looked for the reset switch on the power supply, but it was not in a position to flip (the red thing with a number I don't know). When the power went out, my computer was off, and the last time it was used was the previous day.
I am thinking that the power supply was shorted. I am positive that the hard drive is still working since I tested it on another computer by plugging it in.
Any suggestions? or anyone that can come and help me? I am in Fremont, and the computer is a desktop btw.
Thanks in advance
Old 01-17-2008, 04:35 PM

Car Info: 1997 Acura Integra GS Sedan
I would open up the box, and open up the power supply. Some power supplies have a little fuse in then, it's a glass cylinder with metal on each end. You should be able to just replace that fuse. If you don't see one, then you will most likely have to change out the power supply, see if you can find someone with a computer they are willing to lend you. Also, check the outside and it'll mention how many watts the powersupply is and try and find one that is either the same amount or more than yours to support whatever peripherals you have.
Old 01-17-2008, 05:37 PM

Car Info: Wish it was still my WRB STI
Sometimes with power outages, unless you have a really good surge protector, there is a spike in electricity when the power goes back on and that is what fries the power supply. In any case, take apart the cover and smell around the power supply. If it smells burnt then yes, your power supply is gone. You didn't specify who the maker is of your computer but if it's a Dell, you have to get a proprietary Dell PS and that is a PITA.

However if it's made by anyone else, you should be able to get a replacement one at Fry's or even those second hand computer stores. Cheap ones run you about $10 used, whereas good ones can run you in excess of $100 new. All depends what wattage you are looking and any fancy noise control features. For good measure, take your old one out and bring it with you when you buy a new one.

I have a brand new Ultra Products X-connect 500W power supply that I've never used that I'd let go for $40 if you are interested. Good luck!
Old 01-17-2008, 06:43 PM

Car Info: 04 impreza wrx R.I.P Daniel Wentz JOEBOBBUCKET
usually when i get a black out the same thign happens to me.. but all i do is unplug the power wire from the power box and let is sit for liek 1 minute then plug it back in and everything works fine
Old 01-17-2008, 08:09 PM

Car Info: 96 gm(sold), 98 bk, 02 sf
I just went out to frys and got a new power supply. Cost me 40 for a 350w. I realized that the supply was out when I got out my meter and it had no reading for the fuse. If I had changed the fuse, I would have to had soldered the fuse in and out of the board.
Anyways should I plug my wire directly into the outlet, since that is what I had, or should I plug it into a surge?
Old 01-17-2008, 08:12 PM

Car Info: 04 impreza wrx R.I.P Daniel Wentz JOEBOBBUCKET
beest to do a surge but when im testin my comp i just plug it in to the wall right away
Old 01-17-2008, 08:13 PM

Car Info: 1997 Acura Integra GS Sedan
I would say surge for damn sure...

and yeh, if the fuse was soldered in...it served it's purpose of popping rather than letting your entire motherboard get fried.

Good stuff!
Old 01-17-2008, 09:51 PM

Car Info: 2003 WRX
should never buy a cheap ps cuz if that goes out it can fry anything that it is attacked to it happened to my friend one big cloud of smoke gc and mb gone
Old 01-17-2008, 11:46 PM

Car Info: Fast
Assuming you have a computer that is more than a couple hundred bucks, it is well worth getting a battery backup unit with voltage regulation.