Any home theater experts can chime in?

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2011, 02:07 PM

Any home theater experts can chime in?

OK heres the scenerio..Im starting my home theater so far its 2.1, ya lame..I have everything else on order...

I bought these floor standing speakers yesterday, got them in and installed them..Im getting muffled sound, like a blanket if over the speakers..not clean and crisp at all...

I have tried configuring the receiver by changing the speakers settings..all settings sound muffled.

heres a little background on the connection.

-Optical cable from Blue ray DVD to Receiver...
-Receiver I only have connected the 2 FRONT speakers with the new speakers.
-Subwoofer I have disconnected at the moment as I want to know what is wrong so technically running 2.0.

Speakers I have connected:
http://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-SP-FS5.../dp/B004H1M4NO

Receiver I own:
VSX-516-K|S - 7.1 A/V receiver with Sound Retriever | Pioneer Electronics USA

Its a 7.1, but im runnig 2.0 for the moment until my center and rear channels come to me next week.

My gut is saying the Tweeters are blown...

Any advice or something to check for in receiver setting or audio setting would be great!..

thanks
Old 12-15-2011, 02:33 PM

Car Info: 1.8L FWD
Gagan, where are you?
Old 12-15-2011, 02:35 PM
If in doubt, FLAT OUT

Car Info: 2010 Hatch, 2011 Sedan
Nothing wrong with 2.1 I have a 7.1 receiver in my main system and run only 5.1 and the second setup is 2.1.

In the receiver's setup, you need to set it to Stereo for playback mode and you also need to configure the receiver in the speaker setup to tell it you do not have a center or surrounds but do have a sub (or don't if you don't have that yet). You may also want to try just running stereo analog to see if it makes a difference, since that takes the receiver out of the deocding loop.

If it has auto-calibration, run that also, as the default settings may be wrong. You will need to reconfigure the receiver and re-run the calibration once you hook up the other speakers. If you are local, I can give you a hand with it too.

Last edited by 04GG; 12-15-2011 at 02:38 PM.
Old 12-15-2011, 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by 04GG
Nothing wrong with 2.1 I have a 7.1 setup in my main system and run only 5.1 and the second setup is 2.1.

In the receiver's setup, you need to set it to Stereo for playback mode and you also need to configure the receiver in the speaker setup to tell it you do not have a center or surrounds but do have a sub (or don't if you don't have that yet). You may also want to try just running stereo analog to see if it makes a difference, since that takes the receiver out of the deocding loop.

If it has auto-calibration, run that also, as the default settings may be wrong. You will need to reconfigure the receiver and re-run the calibration once you hook up the other speakers. If you are local, I can give you a hand with it too.

ran the configuration in Stereo, same muffled voice and sound...also ran the auto setup..where is asked subwoofer used, how many speakers, distance..labeled no and ran it 2.0..same thing
Old 12-15-2011, 02:43 PM

Car Info: 2006 STI
if you have the ability to, i would try a couple of different things. 1. Make sure your receiver is set to plain old stereo (left and right) not some form of surround or DSP mode. (you did this so scratch that) 2. try a different speaker on either the left of right chan see if they are muffled, 3. try the pioneer speakers on a diff receiver or amplifier heck a car amp would work fine as long as its not a sub amp set to sub freq's. Also make sure your receiver's bass and treble are set in the middle (should be 0).
Old 12-15-2011, 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by SkizzDawg
if you have the ability to, i would try a couple of different things. 1. Make sure your receiver is set to plain old stereo (left and right) not some form of surround or DSP mode. (you did this so scratch that) 2. try a different speaker on either the left of right chan see if they are muffled, 3. try the pioneer speakers on a diff receiver or amplifier heck a car amp would work fine as long as its not a sub amp set to sub freq's. Also make sure your receiver's bass and treble are set in the middle (should be 0).
Will do..My gut is telling me its either the receiver or the speakers are blown..but I dont know seeing how I just got it yesterday. The Pioneer Receiver was being used by my family and I do remember him leaving it on for couple of weeks when he went on vacation..I hope its not that...

I tried the FM Tuner and its the same result...I hope I dont need a new receiver..
Old 12-15-2011, 02:48 PM

Car Info: 2016 FXT
You should upgrade the cables to the higher quality Monster Cables

Old 12-15-2011, 02:50 PM

Car Info: 335i & S1000RR
Make sure you have the speakers set to "large".

Double check and make sure you have the speakers connected to the correct spots in the back of the reciever.

Make sure you don't have the dynamic range compression on.
Old 12-15-2011, 03:30 PM
If in doubt, FLAT OUT

Originally Posted by NorCalDC5
You should upgrade the cables to the higher quality Monster Cables
I can't see the picture so I can't tell if you are joking or not, but Monster is one of the biggest wastes of money in audio.

Will do..My gut is telling me its either the receiver or the speakers are blown..but I dont know seeing how I just got it yesterday. The Pioneer Receiver was being used by my family and I do remember him leaving it on for couple of weeks when he went on vacation..I hope its not that...

I tried the FM Tuner and its the same result...I hope I dont need a new receiver..
Which of the speaker outputs do you have them hooked to on the reciever? Seems dumb, but we've all done that - connected them to the wrong terminals. Disconnect and reconnect them, one at a time, making sure there are no stray wire strands touching anything. If there are tone controls, either set them flat or turn them off. Do the speakers have dual binding posts (meaning two sets of + and -) and if so, are they connected together? Definitely check the polarity as well, making sure both speakers are connected to your wires the same way + and -

In the player, if you are still using optical, go into the digital audio setup and toggle it to BITSTREAM not PCM.

Last edited by 04GG; 12-15-2011 at 03:40 PM.
Old 12-15-2011, 04:09 PM

I can't see the picture so I can't tell if you are joking or not, but Monster is one of the biggest wastes of money in audio.

Which of the speaker outputs do you have them hooked to on the reciever? Seems dumb, but we've all done that - connected them to the wrong terminals. Disconnect and reconnect them, one at a time, making sure there are no stray wire strands touching anything. If there are tone controls, either set them flat or turn them off. Do the speakers have dual binding posts (meaning two sets of + and -) and if so, are they connected together? Definitely check the polarity as well, making sure both speakers are connected to your wires the same way + and -

In the player, if you are still using optical, go into the digital audio setup and toggle it to BITSTREAM not PCM.

Using the "Front" from the receiver, checked connection and made sure no wires are touching anything. Very cautious on my work..lol..

Tone is Normal for the receiver and the Speakers dont have Dual Binding, that was actually the first thing I checked was the speaker connection.

My cables are from Monoprice, I'm using a 16 gauge inwall shielded speaker cable.

im going to try this part" In the player, if you are still using optical, go into the digital audio setup and toggle it to BITSTREAM not PC"

But I dont see how that would make a difference as in FM tuner I am getting the same sound.

Keep them coming, your like Tech support...lol
Old 12-15-2011, 04:15 PM

Car Info: '06 WRB STi
Hey that's not exactly true, the Monster Turbine Pro Copper/Gold are very good IEMs. Better than the Sennheiser IE8 in many ways for a cheaper price.

Everything else is trash though
Old 12-15-2011, 04:21 PM

Car Info: 2016 FXT
Lol yea, the picture is of the troll face
Old 12-15-2011, 04:38 PM
If in doubt, FLAT OUT

Originally Posted by hYpE-R-29
Using the "Front" from the receiver, checked connection and made sure no wires are touching anything. Very cautious on my work..lol..

Tone is Normal for the receiver and the Speakers dont have Dual Binding, that was actually the first thing I checked was the speaker connection.

My cables are from Monoprice, I'm using a 16 gauge inwall shielded speaker cable.

im going to try this part" In the player, if you are still using optical, go into the digital audio setup and toggle it to BITSTREAM not PC"

But I dont see how that would make a difference as in FM tuner I am getting the same sound.

Keep them coming, your like Tech support...lol
LOL. I was going to ask if the FM tuner did the same thing I've been working on audio systems for a LONG time Monoprice is a good place to get cabling.

Originally Posted by Jodice112
Hey that's not exactly true, the Monster Turbine Pro Copper/Gold are very good IEMs. Better than the Sennheiser IE8 in many ways for a cheaper price.
Never tried them, so I'll take your word for it. Their products aren't junk, it is just that they WAY overprice them for what they are.

Originally Posted by NorCalDC5
Lol yea, the picture is of the troll face

Last edited by 04GG; 12-15-2011 at 04:44 PM.
Old 12-15-2011, 05:00 PM

Didnt have a chance to go thru all the posts but one last thing you can try is to make sure polarity is correct on the speakers. That would also cause sound to be muffled due to being out of phase.
Old 12-15-2011, 05:20 PM

Car Info: 2003 Subaru Impreza WRX wagon
On my Pioneer, I have an A and a B setting for my speakers. And it also depends on which ports I connect the speakers to on the back of the receiver. I'd play with that as well, if you haven't already.

-This is from my manual on my Pioneer...
"A and B speaker systems
The receiver has two speaker systems: A and
B. A is the main system supporting the full
speaker setup. If you switch on both A and B
speaker systems, only the front speakers and
the (active) subwoofer will be audible. No
sound will come from the center, surround, or
surround back speakers, but multi-channel
sources will be down-mixed to the active
speakers so no sound will be lost. Similarly, if
you choose just the B system you‘ll only hear
the front speakers connected to the B system
and multi channel sources will be downmixed
to these two speakers.
• Press the SPEAKERS button on the
front panel to switch between speaker
systems (A, B or both)."

And like others said, you need to go through the receiver settings and make sure the receiver is set to 2.1 sound. And having certain speakers set correctly, like in your case you want FL-C*-S* or FS-C*-S*.

Quick Reply: Any home theater experts can chime in?