any good lawyers out here for reckless driving/misdemeanor?

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2005, 07:25 AM

any good lawyers out here for reckless driving/misdemeanor?

you guys know of any?
here is my stupid story.

May 26th I was pulled over for speeding (39 in a 25). Was ticketed, paid the ticket, and am now doing traffic school this weekend. This should leave me with no pts.

With even a greater level of stupidity,
I raced my friend in his 2005 smg Interlagos Blue Competition M3 (beat him 2x, woopty doo). It was around 10:00pm, little to no traffic here in Los Altos, CA/foothill.
Anyways, the cop who saw everything pulled us.

LUCKILY, he gave us both warnings for street racing, and marked me down (after much begging and pleading) to a misdemeanor for reckless driving which is 2 pts. Even if it shouldn't matter, speed limit on the road is 45mph and he marked me as going 30+mph. You can get reckless driving at 2 mph for doing donuts.

With all this stupidity, and me deserving this AND getting off somewhat, how much can a traffic lawyer save my ***. How bad is a misdemeanor---does it go on my record, will it cause more harm than just affecting my insurance?

The cop told me that he marked me for reckless driving b/c 1-i was racing, and 2- i was peeling out/"getting sideways"---which i wasn't.

The scenario was this.
2 Lane road at a light at an intersection. I am on the left lane, and my friend is on the right lane. The cop is apparently down the intersection street on the right hand side----so im thinking that his view of me 'peeling out/getting sideways' was blocked. But whatever---we both knew i was being an idiot, and we both know that it's his word vs. two 22 year olds.

How much can a traffic lawyer help me?
How much should it cost?
and how much will i suffer if i don't get a traffic lawyer or if the lawyer loses?
know of any good traffic lawyers in the santa clara/san mateo county?
note: i will have 2 pts. on my record and a misdemeanor after i clear my first speeding ticket with traffic school this saturday.

THANK YOU for reading about my stupidity.
please drive safely/with intelligence.

-Dino
Old 06-23-2005, 07:55 AM
the artist formerly known as mcdrama

Car Info: WRBP 2015 WRX Premium/CVT
adding insult to injury already.

Street racing is stupid. Don't be stupid.

All these questions you've asked should be directed at a lawyer.

Unless the judge is a secret street racer, there is likely no way of getting the charge dropped.
Most people do not appreciate others risking their lives for them, or being a menace in a 3000+ lbs. vehicle that could fly through someones house or business.

If you have no previous criminal record, take it to court and ask nicely to have the charges dropped.
After that if you do it again, then you get what is coming to you.

I have done my fair share of stupid ****, and whenever I publicly admitted it I was ripped a new one.

Sorry if I sound like a dick, but I am. :banana:

Good luck in court man.
Old 06-23-2005, 09:47 AM
General Pimpin'

Car Info: MY04 aspen wrx wagon.
I'm not gonna lecture you on street racing as most to all of us have done it a few times before and will probably do it a few times in the future.....especially when it's a friendly game with a buddy.

Mcdrama....I seem to remember seeing you smashing through some country roads with lots of traffic on them....and again with just us on them....not to much different that street racing if you ask me. You're still going 2x, 3x's the speed limit seeing how fast you can go.

Anyways....I wouldn't get a lawyer. You'll come off like a *****, the cop will come in and no doubt have in his notes that you were in fact street racing. If you fight it there is a very good chance that the cop will bring that up and you'll get tagged for what you're getting and maybe worse.

Personally. I'd go to court alone. Get cleaned up. Nice clothes. Not too nice..don't want to look like a baller. Go in and say your sorry. You learned your lesson. it won't happen again and beg to have your ticket decreased or ask for permission to take traffic school again.

A judge can grant you traffic school if he so chooses and you won't have to wait the normal 18 months.

If it was me...that's what I'd do.

You know you did something wrong. You know you got off....you still have your car and didn't have to get cuff'd. etc.

Good luck in court...remember humble is good.
Old 06-23-2005, 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by OneManArmy
Mcdrama....I seem to remember seeing you smashing through some country roads with lots of traffic on them....and again with just us on them....not to much different that street racing if you ask me. You're still going 2x, 3x's the speed limit seeing how fast you can go.
SSSHHHHHH!!!!! Nobody saw that, and it wasn't 3x the limit. ;x more like 1.5x

That is why I wasn't trying to sound like a *****. but when I see someone say 'racing' its usually(assume[*** out of you and me]) someone being dumb.

make me feel bad, GOSH!!!

And that 'country' road had 3 cars we passed, sorry 4. that truck in front of you, you, a truck with a trailer, and a sheriff. ;x
Old 06-23-2005, 10:05 AM
General Pimpin'

Car Info: MY04 aspen wrx wagon.
Originally Posted by mcdrama
And that 'country' road had 3 cars we passed, sorry 4. that truck in front of you, you, a truck with a trailer, and a sheriff. ;x

really.....man that blows!!! I got hosed man. Stupid booger picken hick held me up for like 20 minutes.
Old 06-23-2005, 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by OneManArmy
really.....man that blows!!! I got hosed man. Stupid booger picken hick held me up for like 20 minutes.
hehe, yeah. better boogers then paper.

One time when I made a run to Coralitos sausage co., heading back home there was this big truck(probably the same one in front of you) that had stacks like a few feet tall of blank paper flying out the back.

I put my blinkers on, flashing my high beams, honking my horn to get him to stop so he would be littering. Then a few miles he turned off some road and I stopped to get out and talk to him but he kept on going.

Old 06-23-2005, 01:56 PM

Car Info: truck
Your friend is 22 and has a M3? Damn, my dad is in his mid 50's and he just got his 05 M3 competition. What does your friend do? Or his parents?
Old 06-23-2005, 01:57 PM

Car Info: truck
Check that out ^^^ 200 posts!! Someone tell Zoeb!!
Old 06-23-2005, 01:57 PM

Car Info: civic
my next door neighbor whos 17 has a e46 m3...

but goodluck on clearing those tickets.
Old 06-23-2005, 02:01 PM
I <3 White Girls

Car Info: E92 M3, E70, F32, E21
Originally Posted by Jimpreza
Your friend is 22 and has a M3? Damn, my dad is in his mid 50's and he just got his 05 M3 competition. What does your friend do? Or his parents?
yepez (resident smurf) has an 04 E46 M3 and an 05 STi and is getting a lotus Elise.

ohh, he's 17..
Old 06-23-2005, 02:05 PM

Car Info: 05 STi
You can get those knocked down just by having a lawyer. I don't know how but my brother got essentially the same thing and he got his points taken off.
Old 06-23-2005, 04:42 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: R.I.P 03 aspen white wrx
Originally Posted by 1reguL8NSTi
You can get those knocked down just by having a lawyer. I don't know how but my brother got essentially the same thing and he got his points taken off.
YUP... i had a friend also get similar charges droped but he had a lawyer and it did cost him a pretty penny iirc

but a mistormenor charge is hefty and and if it were me id pay my fair share of pretty pennys to have that not be on my record.

edgar,
Old 06-23-2005, 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by zumnwrx
YUP... i had a friend also get similar charges droped but he had a lawyer and it did cost him a pretty penny iirc

but a mistormenor charge is hefty and and if it were me id pay my fair share of pretty pennys to have that not be on my record.

edgar,
seriously, cause it can have an effect on you the next 7 years when applying for a job.
Old 06-23-2005, 05:58 PM

i thought only felonies harmed job apps?
Old 06-23-2005, 06:06 PM

I grew up in Los Altos right off of Foothill and my family still lives in the area, so hearing about people racing there.... but I'll refrain from lecturing about street racing.

The Los Altos police department only has a few partol cars out at any given time, but you can be guranteed that at least two of them are sitting on Foothill waiting for people to fly by. It's a wide open street and it is EXTREMILY easy to go 10+ mph over the limit without noticing and most of the time the LAPD sees you are going flow-of-traffic and won't do anything. But, they have little else to do so they are very strict about people driving excessive amounts over the limit.

Good luck with your ticket, hopefully you don't get a misdemeanor. And please, don't race in that area.

- Matt

Quick Reply: any good lawyers out here for reckless driving/misdemeanor?