any DIRT BIKERS here...???

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2010, 09:12 PM

Car Info: 2016 CWP WRX
get the 450. nice bike nice price

they upgraded the susp that year. all the internal components are treated (ti-nitride) to be smoother, etc. the yamis are the most neutral handling of the bunch and you can get parts EVERYWHERE. not to mention there are always hundreds of yz's being parted out on ebay that are practically brand new.

the suspension is KYB, or kayaba. they and showa have battled it out for a decade, and KYB is winning. Honda in 09 ditched its own in house showas for KYB. speaks volumes. the front forks are SSS (speed sensitive-read:doesnt blow thru the travel and sacrafice compliance when going into a turn) and use a seperate cartridge for rebound. It works great and i currently have the exact suspention on my yz250 smoker. The rear shock has a titanium spring (850 from yami) and has an 18mm shaft(i said shaft). The swingarm was redesigned in 2007, so you benefit from that as well (slightly higher pivot). Front and rear have adjustable compression and rebound, the rear having both high and low speed compression settings.

that year also went to adjustable triple clamps (move them for and aft on the top clamp) and oversized 1 1/8 bars. the plastics and frame had no changes, just bold new grafics (BNG's). the white plastics are cool, cuz yami blue plastics are famous for going white wherever you bend it (read: fall on it).

the motor is 5 valve (titanium) and is pissed off. it has a big mid and top end hit, but makes a great off-roader with the proper mods. FMF megabomb header with a (insert FMF can or choice based on riding style) adds more bottom hit and quiets the bike down. thumpers are LOUD, so i suggest getting anything that makes it quiter.

thats all i can think of fo now. let me know if you need more info.

josh
Old 06-15-2010, 02:04 PM

Car Info: 2018 Tacoma TRD PRO
So i went in the store to fill out the loan. The guy says they dont give out loans.(its a website mistake). So went into Chase to get a 4G loan. Asked for a vehicle loan and they said yes. I was approved for a 7,500 loan. But.... they wont give it to me because they just stopped giving loans for recreational vehicles.

< very mad! ima about to get that loan and buy an 99 civic si 4dr

Anyway i found a great place in Hayward that has a bikes i want. This is the order i want them in.

-2009 YZ450F (Yami)
-2009 KLX450R (Kawi)
-2008 RM-Z250 (Suzuki)

i really want a Yami becuase i heard bad things from Kawi, Suzuki.
Josh please assist
Old 06-15-2010, 02:21 PM

Car Info: 2011 STI Sedan
Originally Posted by LOL Vtec
Anyway i found a great place in Hayward that has a bikes i want. This is the order i want them in.
If that place is East Bay Motorsports take a friend with you be ready to see a lot of fees suddenly appear, maybe a higher price than they quoted you on the phone, lies about other dealers prices and inventory etc.

Have a look on Yelp and over on BARF. Not everyone has a bad experience there but enough do that you want to make sure you go in prepared -- even to walk away if you aren't comfortable.

Last edited by glider; 06-15-2010 at 02:36 PM.
Old 06-15-2010, 02:28 PM

Car Info: 04 FXT
picked up a '03 cr250 a lil while back, about to send the head out to get resleaved then rebuild the top end. it's green sticker, b ut i'm sure i'm going to miss this season. i also have a drz400sm for the streetz, and a '07 gsxr 600 that is track only. since it's track season, the dirt bike is getting the back burner until nov.
Old 06-15-2010, 02:33 PM
Former Sponsor

Car Info: WRX, EVO, MSP3
Originally Posted by kYLEMtnCRUZr
^sounds like a pretty good buy. I dont know about that model or prices though.

Im selling my playbike 2002 TTR 125 BBR'd

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/scz/mcy/1779696763.html
Just picked up that exact bike for a pit bike, what did you end up selling yours for?

Mike
Old 06-15-2010, 02:52 PM

Car Info: 2016 CWP WRX
yo

yami, you know how i feel about hose.

kawi, i had the same bike, just sold it. LOVED taht bke. Kawi is kicking everyones *** in the motor department. o one is close. but they are a pig. not a bad bike, just top heavy. i would still lean toward the yami.

suki makes great bikes, but that year was a more of a dog than previous years. they turn like mad but you loose straight line stability.

MO? get the yami.

josh

PS sorry to hear about how lame the bank was. typical these days...
Old 06-15-2010, 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by glider
If that place is East Bay Motorsports take a friend with you be ready to see a lot of fees suddenly appear, maybe a higher price than they quoted you on the phone, lies about other dealers prices and inventory etc.

Have a look on Yelp and over on BARF. Not everyone has a bad experience there but enough do that you want to make sure you go in prepared -- even to walk away if you aren't comfortable.
Thanks for the heads up!
Old 06-15-2010, 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by josh
yo

yami, you know how i feel about hose.

kawi, i had the same bike, just sold it. LOVED taht bke. Kawi is kicking everyones *** in the motor department. o one is close. but they are a pig. not a bad bike, just top heavy. i would still lean toward the yami.

suki makes great bikes, but that year was a more of a dog than previous years. they turn like mad but you loose straight line stability.

MO? get the yami.

josh

PS sorry to hear about how lame the bank was. typical these days...
Thanks for the info! Will try to get the Yami
Old 06-15-2010, 04:04 PM

i looked at Yelp and they had good reviews for EBMS. i will keep an eye out for hidden fees.
Old 06-15-2010, 08:34 PM

Car Info: 1999 RS Coupé- 1995 Mazda Miata -KTM 300
Originally Posted by GST Motorsports
Just picked up that exact bike for a pit bike, what did you end up selling yours for?

Mike
still for sale, I bought it for $1400 a few months ago, trying for $1500

I had this same bike in 2004 with all BBR parts except bore kit for $3700 and sold it for $3500 except it had even more BBR parts on it than this current one.

They are awesome bikes, this is the bike that got me into trials riding because you can attempt some gnarly hills with its lightweight, high clearance and frame geometry. But I just race my friends XR 100s with it right now.
Old 10-11-2011, 09:24 AM

Car Info: 90 325is
I gave up on racing several years ago. Couldn't handle the terrible people. Way to many egos and attitudes. The tracks also became boring. I'm to impatient for all the jumps and rhythm bs. I just wanna go fast. This year I started racing in AHRMA vintage races. So much more fun than modern bikes. Right now I have a 75 Kawasaki kx400. Looking for a Maico 250.
Name:  6c430754.jpg
Views: 8
Size:  87.9 KB
Old 10-11-2011, 11:22 AM

I didn't get my 450 but picking up something better. 2002 Suzuki RM250. The last year green sticker for the 2 stroke.

Need someone to go riding with me!
Old 10-11-2011, 11:32 AM

Car Info: 2015 Ford F-150 XLT FX4 Sports Package,SOLD-05 STi
Just went riding up in PiPi valley(near Pioneer off Hwy 88) this past wknd. Had a blast, dirt was perfect. I hadn't ridden in over a year. Felt weird in the beginning only because I've been riding my street bike around for the past couple of months, but after a few minutes on the dirtbike everything came back to me as if I had never stopped riding dirt. LOL

Quick Reply: any DIRT BIKERS here...???