any DIRT BIKERS here...???

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2009, 09:18 PM

Car Info: 1999 RS Coupé- 1995 Mazda Miata -KTM 300
haha same here. i'll be at Hollister tomorrow. KTM 300 2 stroke #157

My friends are having a race with their old yamaha 360's (1970 2 strokes) on the TT track. so if you wanna see someone crash you know where to go! (1 friend has only been riding a few months in the dirt, coming from the street...he's gotten up close and personal with the hay bales along the front stretch wire fence haha)
Old 10-25-2009, 09:28 PM

Car Info: EQ Tuned Wagon ;)
^^i would love to see that/ participate with my bike :P

but i have class on mondays and tuesdays! booooooo
Old 10-26-2009, 08:07 AM

Car Info: 2016 CWP WRX
ok. i need to come down and ride i guess.

whom ever asked if truckee is dirt bike heaven, it is. or at least it feels like it. i can ride hundres of singletrack miles out my back door. plus i am burnin' in a mini track on our "back 40" (4 acres between myself and parents land).

if anyone makes itup my way soon, let me know. the riding is nothing nothing short of epic....

josh
Old 10-26-2009, 03:51 PM

count me in! let me know if you have rally roads, i'll put my dirtbike trailer hitch on my RS!
Old 10-26-2009, 08:46 PM

Car Info: 2002 subaru wrx and 2013 Impreza
ya x-bow!! awsome ride. i like your style

husbenbergs are cool to. has the same motor as my bike. thee best motor in my opinion. they are like ktm's sister company or something like that. as well as hydro space. have you seen there jet skis?!?! BA to the max

Originally Posted by kYLEMtnCRUZr
KTMFTMFWMFR'S!!!

I love KTM. Austrians know whats up. I could see a Husaberg in my distant future though.
Old 10-27-2009, 09:38 AM

I just wonder if the head is easier or harder to pull apart bent at its new angle.

But i dont think i'll give up on 2 strokes yet :/

looks like Metcalf!

DAAAAAAYYYYYYYAAAAMMMMM!!!
Old 10-28-2009, 07:51 AM

i love my 4t. but i also have 2 2t's lying around in the case i blow up the 4t. my kawi is still in valve spec after a ton of miles. i have not pulled the head at all yet, but i hear these newer japanese motors seem to last forever w/o to much work (seen 2 cracked cases and both were prestine even after being boiled over like 5 times in baja).

but when it comes time to replacing the top end, 2t's rule the roost. 150 bucks and you motor is new again. 1200 and a 4ts new again. i always get itchy when i look at my 4t motor and think all the work i will be performing in the future.....

the hussies motor is sick. all built by ktm, or Rotax i think to be specific. ktm motors are also bullit proof. they run hot, but jetted correctly and with proper coolant, they can creep all day w/out boiling over. i have riden the new hussies and they are insane. they truly feel like a 2t in weight and handling. the mass is so centralized it is hard to get the bike upset with motor input. The new Yamaha is trying the same thing but going the opposite direction. BUT, the Hussie uses most of the same parts from KTM(head, crank etc..) whichg makes it a great bike. the frame on the new bikes is insane. artwork if you ask me....

i happen to be in Socal this week. we drove down 395 for the view. right about 2-3 hours out of LA, i start pasing toy haulers, lots of em. by the time i get to ca-14 near lancaster(i think) you can hop from one hauler to another. we tok a pic arounf one turn where you can count like 20 lifted american trucks with 35ft haulers behine them. cracked me up, and reminded me how Socal is the mecca for desert/moto riding.

fun. i cant wait to get home to ride....

josh
Old 02-08-2010, 05:02 PM

Car Info: 2018 Tacoma TRD PRO
My friends selling his dirt bike and I think I'm taking it off his hands. I'm afraid I know nothing about dirt bikes but do what to get into it.

Is 1k good for a low milage 2002 Honda xr200r? I'm 6'2" and weigh 230

thinking it might be small but it's just a starter bike. If I enjoy riding I'll buy like a 450.

Any info would be great
Old 02-08-2010, 05:19 PM

1k for an xr200 in any shape is a good deal. most xr's are bullit proof (the more cc the more proof they are). they also make decent beginner bikes. But trust me, if you end up liking it, you will be selling that thing in NO time for a modern 250 or 450f.

i have riding my bro's wifes 200 xr's for a while. they are a BLAST at first. it allows you to learn the dynamics of 2 wheels, and is VERY forgiving. kinda spongy suspension with a couch for a seat. once you get used to it, you could easily move into a 250f.

let me know if you have any other questions.....

josh
Old 02-08-2010, 05:25 PM

Car Info: '06 WRX Sport Wagon
It sounds like a decent deal, but I'm afraid The XR200 is going to end up being a little small for you. Probably a good ride to borrow for the first couple days, but you'll tire of it after a while. I'm riding a XR400R with a ALOOP kit, and there are times it feels a little underpowered. I'm standing 6'2" at about 210.

On the other hand, for a grand you could take the 200 off his hands, get comfortable on it and then turn it around for a little profit to put towards something bigger.
Old 02-08-2010, 05:29 PM

Car Info: '06 WRX Sport Wagon
I might be heading to Hollister this week if anyone is intersted in tagging up there. Let me know when you might like to hit the trails and I'll try and get off work.

Has anyone ridden MetCalf much? I haven't made it over there yet, but would like to find someone to show my the trails at some point...
Old 02-24-2010, 08:50 AM

Is carnagie open? I've heard that there not because of some creek.

Also, riding a dirt bike is like driving a car right? Clutch in gas off untill you shift? And I don't understand the gears. 1 down 2 up for 2nd?

My buddy is just throwing me the bike without lessons so I just want a heads up before I get on it.
Old 02-24-2010, 09:45 AM

LOL

in theory, yes, gas off, clutch, shift. once you get the hang of it, you will proly skip the clutch, and just bang gears.

as far as the tranny pattern, it is just like any motorcycle. down once (1) to get to 1st. but it isnt 2 up when you are moving. from first gear, 1 up is nuetral, but when you are moving, the tranny moves right into second with one pull. then again and again to get up to 4th or 5th or 6th depending on the bike/tranny.

I suggest sitting on the bike and changing gears with it off to get a feel for the tranny and how your particular boots work with it. Also, as i said, i tend to NOT use my clutch much (depending) and simply change my oil ALOT to get any debris i am creating by not using the clutch. i tend to like to match rpms instead.

hope this makes sense....

josh

ps i hope you take a buddy to ride with. learning alone is not a good idea. at all.
Old 02-24-2010, 09:53 AM

Thanks Josh! That does make sense.

I we should get some i-club pepes and make a day for carnagie.

Is it still open?
Old 02-24-2010, 11:17 AM

Car Info: 07 STI Built/Widebody/E85/Rotated GTX3576 13 Fozz
Hasn't really seen much dirt, but this is what I am riding currently. Yes it is as needy as a supermodel, but man is it SO much fun.

Quick Reply: any DIRT BIKERS here...???