Another quick question regarding Intercoolers, help!

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2008, 09:07 AM
Friendly Neighborhood Ogre

Car Info: GUNATICS.COM
I dont like FMICers.
Old 11-11-2008, 09:21 AM
i-Club Sympathizer

Car Info: 1969 BMW R75/5 & Work Whip
Originally Posted by brucelee
Oh! Ryan, I need a part from you!

2000 RS drivers side windshield wiper motor/gear, or whatever its called. The mechanism that moves the wiper.

I need it really badly. Can you order it for me? I'm 100% sure I want it so no worries there bro.
You have PM.
Old 11-14-2008, 06:18 AM

w00t, good news guys, after only 2 days of waiting my STi Y pipe and rest of the hardware came in the mail!! Talk about fast *** shipping!

I inspected all the pieces and everything seems to be fine... For $50 I expected used parts, plastic parts, or just overall crap parts but the the metal part on the original pipe is metal on this one... Hoses are blue samco-ish hoses, and comes with gaskets and all hardware for mounting/bolting down. I'm pretty stoked!

Just so you know, if you went to the stealership and ordered all the parts for an STi intercooler (sans the intercooler), the MSRP on all the parts seen in this picture costs just about $500! I wasn't about to fork over $500 for some intercooler! F' that noise.

Here's exactly what came:

Just as they promised. For $50 I didn't think I was going to get squat, but I took a chance and it worked out! Cost was $51 exactly, no tax or shipping.

All I'm waiting for now is for a friend to ship me the intercooler mounts... The two metal mounts that connect the i/c to the intake manifold and I'm set!

It basically cost me $100 all together to fix the intercooler thing since the insurance gave me a check to sort it all out because I was whining and complaining, they just wanted me out of there.

I'll have the I/C ready just in time for my tune to fix the running lean problem that the 2007s encounter... I'm going to get a bit of a power increase too, but nothing huge because I want the car to be as reliable as possible.

The car came with some weird generic muffler which I planned on removing, but the sound that can makes is AMAZING! A little loud but has an AWESOME rumble, thats for sure. Ask anyone who has seen/heard my car, they all ask what kind of exhaust I have because it sounds so good. YAY!

Finally the car is pretty much complete and I'm UBER happy!

The very last thing I need/want (I dont really need it) is an STi splitter for the hood scoop... Anyone have one laying around that they don't need anymore?
Old 11-14-2008, 09:16 PM

So I basically bought this piping for nothing...

To the people that said the WRX Y piping would NOT fit an STi intercooler, well, YOU'RE WRONG! All of the WRX stuff fit perfectly... So I have a brand new box of some really nice, new hoses that are collecting dust. I might just install them later since they are better... I left the WRX ones on there to see if they'd fit, and they did so I didn't take them off.

The mother fathering end.
Old 11-14-2008, 09:37 PM

Car Info: 2007 WRX CGM
^^hmmm.. wrx and sti y-pipes are definitely different. you sure you had a wrx intercooler and not one without the logo on it? you sure you even have a STI turbo!? I'd check it out.. doesn't sound right at all.
Old 11-14-2008, 09:55 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: '13 BRZ Limited / '02 WRX
Hit up Noah at LIC, he (actually Adam) always has random **** laying around.
Old 11-15-2008, 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by jondl
^^hmmm.. wrx and sti y-pipes are definitely different. you sure you had a wrx intercooler and not one without the logo on it? you sure you even have a STI turbo!? I'd check it out.. doesn't sound right at all.
They aren't the same, the STi pipes (which fit too) have more metal on the pipes...

I have an STi intercooler for sure, its like 20% bigger then the WRX one, I also have an STi turbo, for sure...

Just letting you know that both fit.
Old 11-15-2008, 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by VRT MBasile
Hit up Noah at LIC, he (actually Adam) always has random **** laying around.
Like I said, I ordered STi pipes as seen in the pics, but when I went to swap them and use the STi pipes, I wanted to see if the WRX pipes would fit, and behold, they do! I even drove around with them and everything is fine.

The only thing thats different is the STi pipes are smoother bore which means that the inside of the pipes is smoother then the WRX pipes.

Other then that, the pipes are the same in terms of fitting...

I'll try ti take pictures when my camera starts working (erm, charged), but I have a wedding to go to right now so it'll have to wait.
Old 11-15-2008, 04:34 PM

Car Info: wrx02
I tried wrx intercooler y-pipe on vf43, it will not fit unless you modify the the end of y-pipe(black plastic part). I think I have same y-pipe you have posted on wrx with e-bay tmic, it fits vf43 very well.

Are you sure you even have vf43 or vf39 on your STI?
Old 11-15-2008, 04:37 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: '13 BRZ Limited / '02 WRX
Originally Posted by brucelee
Like I said, I ordered STi pipes as seen in the pics, but when I went to swap them and use the STi pipes, I wanted to see if the WRX pipes would fit, and behold, they do! I even drove around with them and everything is fine.

The only thing thats different is the STi pipes are smoother bore which means that the inside of the pipes is smoother then the WRX pipes.

Other then that, the pipes are the same in terms of fitting...

I'll try ti take pictures when my camera starts working (erm, charged), but I have a wedding to go to right now so it'll have to wait.
I don't read entire threads usually
Old 11-15-2008, 04:55 PM
Warm Fuzzy Admin

Car Info: 97 LOB, 05 FXT, 03 Tundra
Glad it's bolting up, Dan. Like I mentioned, you might have to use the new setup to put the IC into the right alignment with the brackets, but if not, $50 for a spare setup isn't bad either.
Old 11-16-2008, 06:52 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: Ver IV STi Wagon
Dan....I still have my 02 STi Zerosports splitter.
Would have to ship from Japan.
Shoot me a PM and it's yours.

(the 02-03 STi splitters fit perfect in the 06 scoop...)

Since you were cool as hell at the Hammy meets (05-06) I'll send it as a gift Got it for $100 but couldn't sell it before I left Cali. Been collecting dust as an incentive to get another Suby....)
Old 11-16-2008, 09:30 AM

Car Info: Fast
Either the WRX pipe fits, or the intercooler you took off is an 08 STI intercooler
Old 11-16-2008, 09:40 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2017 CWP WRX & 2007 SWP WRX
I would just get an aftermarket y-pipe hose kit. That ebay may work temporarily, but I honestly wouldn't be putting it on my car. I just don't like ebay parts or really feel like I can trust them. I don't need baller parts, but I do want quality.
Old 11-16-2008, 03:55 PM

The alignment of the IC is off by just a tiny bit but nothing some hose clamps didn't fix. It was a BIATCH trying to get the hose to connect to the turbo, but after some effort I managed to get it to work.

I'm not going to keep this on as a permanent solution, this is just temporary, but I just wanted to let you guys know that you can get it to fit, and yes I'm positive taht I have an STi turbo and everything else... We took a lot of stuff apart to inspect the car, the only thing that was different was the intercooler...

Quick Reply: Another quick question regarding Intercoolers, help!