Another quick question regarding Intercoolers, help!

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2008, 08:08 AM
Friendly Neighborhood Ogre

Car Info: GUNATICS.COM
Another quick question regarding Intercoolers, help!

I've been going through I/C hell for the last few day which is fine because I brought it on myself... But whatever, I saved over a grand cuz of it... To the issue:

Since I have a standard WRX intercooler on my 2007 STi right now (very temporary until I can put an STi I/C on), I need to swap it for an STi I/C.

I bought an STi I/C (not sure what year thats in great shape), but I can't mount it since I don't have the Y pipe and other hardware that goes along with it.

I can't find a friggin STi Y pipe to save my life so I wanted to see if there were other options... ???Are there?

Also, I wanted to see if a WRX Y pipe/hardware does in fact work but maybe I was doing something wrong... ???

Quick questions:

1. Does anyone have an STi Y pipe for the TM STi I/C that they can sell me, you have no idea how happy I would be.

2. Are there any other options of mounting an STi I/C other then using an STi Y pipe?

3. Is there ANY way to make the wrx I/C pipes work on an STi? Perhaps some slight modifications or something?
Old 11-11-2008, 08:14 AM

Car Info: Black On Black Wingless 05 STI
Man, yeah the WRX Y Pipe is not going to work with the STI I/C (far as I know). You could try looking for a Y Pipe on ebay , a local tuner shop, or maybe even craigslist. Chances are you'll have to wait a few days unless someone in BAIC has one around.

Best of luck!

Last edited by KOSTI; 11-11-2008 at 08:18 AM.
Old 11-11-2008, 08:19 AM

Car Info: 2002 Subaru WRX PSM
What about going to the dealership and getting a OEM STI Y-Pipe. Then take your receipt to wherever you bought the car, and see if they will help you out. Just a thought, they might have some in stock, so you wouldn't have to wait for shipping...
Old 11-11-2008, 08:21 AM

I just bought this last night for $51, but I'm not sure if it will work or not which is why Im looking for a REAL STi pipe.

Check this out:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...AQ:MOTORS:1123

Anyone know if this will work? Anyone try it before?
Old 11-11-2008, 08:22 AM

Originally Posted by JArnaud
What about going to the dealership and getting a OEM STI Y-Pipe. Then take your receipt to wherever you bought the car, and see if they will help you out. Just a thought, they might have some in stock, so you wouldn't have to wait for shipping...
Cuz it's $500 from the stealership and they already discounted the car cuz of it, and I'm pretty broke for 2 weeks which is why I got the ebay one for now.
Old 11-11-2008, 08:23 AM

Yeah totally, or just buy a big TMIC and sell the STI/WRX one. You may even get your ends recouped.

I was just looking on CL: http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/pts/907692324.html 350 for a nice Turbo XS with Y Pipe, not too shabby.
Old 11-11-2008, 08:23 AM

Car Info: 2002 Subaru WRX PSM
That looks like it might work! I did a quick search, and it seemed as though most of the after-market y pipes for for the WRX, but that one clearly states that its for an STI, so looks like you are in good shape. How long does it take to ship?
Old 11-11-2008, 08:33 AM

Originally Posted by KOSTI
Yeah totally, or just buy a big TMIC and sell the STI/WRX one. You may even get your ends recouped.

I was just looking on CL: http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/pts/907692324.html 350 for a nice Turbo XS with Y Pipe, not too shabby.
You think that turbo XS cooler is better then an STi one?

I tend to go for factory stuff now after all my years of bad luck with aftermarket stuff... Aftermarket stuff is cool for about a year then it quits. Blech!

Regarding the shipping time, I dunno, he's in Ontario, CA so whenever he gets off his butt to ship it to me it wont take long.
Old 11-11-2008, 08:36 AM

Alright, here's a picture of a real STi Y pipe next to the one I bought:

Looks like a good match, eh?

$51 compared to almost $500 at the dealer! (for everything).
Old 11-11-2008, 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by brucelee

I tend to go for factory stuff now after all my years of bad luck with aftermarket stuff... Aftermarket stuff is cool for about a year then it quits. Blech!
Well I am not sure the size based on the STI TMIC but I know the TurboXS is easily twice the size of the WRX TMIC and is bigger than the STI TMIC; therefore it provides better effencientcy.
Old 11-11-2008, 08:46 AM
i-Club Sympathizer

Car Info: 1969 BMW R75/5 & Work Whip
$51 compared to almost $500 at the dealer! (for everything).
Just remember that very often times you get what you pay for. I'd like to see those hoses up close and inspect the aluminum parts to see if they're even of decent quality.

I'm not saying you need to pay for the real deal, but I am saying $51 and eBay is shady.
Old 11-11-2008, 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by Unit 91
Just remember that very often times you get what you pay for. I'd like to see those hoses up close and inspect the aluminum parts to see if they're even of decent quality.

I'm not saying you need to pay for the real deal, but I am saying $51 and eBay is shady.
I plan to get some real ones down the road, probably used ones off a wrecked STi, but I need a car asap and have other financial priorities... This will hold me over in the mean time.

$51 = A worker in China made it @ $0.12 /hour. Total manufacturing cost = $4

Real one:

A worker in Japan making $54/hour, expensive facility, taxes, etc = manufacturing cost of @ $290

Old 11-11-2008, 08:51 AM

Oh! Ryan, I need a part from you!

2000 RS drivers side windshield wiper motor/gear, or whatever its called. The mechanism that moves the wiper.

I need it really badly. Can you order it for me? I'm 100% sure I want it so no worries there bro.
Old 11-11-2008, 08:58 AM
banned

Car Info: heel'n toe da hoe...
I would have sold you my fmic for $450
Old 11-11-2008, 09:07 AM

Car Info: GT35R, Meth

Regarding the shipping time, I dunno, he's in Ontario, CA so whenever he gets off his butt to ship it to me it wont take long.

Not the TurboXS, but the XSpower/ebay tmic has a pretty good reputation and you can get it + y-pipe for the price of an aftermarket y-pipe + selling your wrx tmic. EQtuning has had some good success with it. To be honest, if I had known how to properly setup a tmic with meth I would not have gone fmic

Quick Reply: Another quick question regarding Intercoolers, help!