Another problem with EDM HID

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2005, 09:37 PM

Car Info: '02 PSM WRX
Another problem with EDM HID

So, for some reason why passenger side EDM HID will not turn on when it's supposed to. First, I thought it was the ballast, but when I came home in another car, the headlight was on (no key in ignition, nothing). So, I'm thinking WTF? But it was raining, and I was too lazy so I forgot about it.

Today, I try to use my car and my battery is basically completely dead. It had enough to have my alarm light on, but it wouldn't even power up my V-1. Anyone know what this problem might be? I have no clue where to start
Old 12-19-2005, 09:40 PM

Car Info: civic
how did u wire it?
Old 12-19-2005, 11:44 PM

The guy I bought it from wired it, and I think it's a PnP, but it's a very messy setup.
Old 12-20-2005, 12:05 AM

Car Info: Not a subie!
Sounds like the wiring harness by what you say. Did this problem start with the rain? So check your wiring harness for possible shorting due to moisture. Take a photo of the harness.
Old 12-20-2005, 12:23 AM

No, the light stopped working during thanksgiving time and it was dry that day. I had a friend take a really quick look at the wiring and he thought it was the ballast (which I'm guessing is the harness). Though, why would it make the light turn on by itself when no one is in or around the car?
Old 12-21-2005, 04:12 AM

Car Info: 02 WRX bloo
the connections between the wires are loose... pretty good chance if you jiggle the wire or connection while the lights are on (should probably wear something that groudns you... i never did, probably not smart), that head light should come on.

I've had this problem before, and it was due to loose connectors in one case, shoddy *** soldering in another, and 'i-shoved-it-in-and-held-it-with-duct-tape' in yet another. In my case though, not HID...

As for the battery being dead... it's probably not the light turning on, but rather the wiring causing a lot of electricity to be expended (kinda like a short). Ballast is not the harness... harness should connect car to ballast, iirc.
Old 12-21-2005, 07:55 AM

Car Info: 05 WRX Wagon and 08 Civic Si
Originally Posted by Jing
the connections between the wires are loose... pretty good chance if you jiggle the wire or connection while the lights are on (should probably wear something that groudns you... i never did, probably not smart), that head light should come on.

I've had this problem before, and it was due to loose connectors in one case, shoddy *** soldering in another, and 'i-shoved-it-in-and-held-it-with-duct-tape' in yet another. In my case though, not HID...

As for the battery being dead... it's probably not the light turning on, but rather the wiring causing a lot of electricity to be expended (kinda like a short). Ballast is not the harness... harness should connect car to ballast, iirc.

dont touch any of the wires coming from the ballast with the headlight switch on it will give you a shock you will never forget. the igniter for a HID produces a very high voltage (could stop a weak heart) so be very careful when working on that system while its live.
sti owns evo
sounds to me like you have a problem with the wiring and if you know nothing about cars and wiring like its sounds from your post i suggest taking it back to the guy who wired it in the first place.
oh that EDM system is not that good either hope he gave you a good deal on it
Old 12-21-2005, 09:49 AM

I've dealt with the EDM HIDs before with a HID conversion kit and last time it was the relay that wasn't clicking over. So, I sorta know my way around the lights.

Last night, my brother and I testing different wires with a multimeter and found from what we saw it seemed to be the other relay was bad. Though, we did fry the multimeter in the process since my brother forgot to use a fused setting...