Another n00b thread from w0ng3r

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2013, 11:54 PM

Car Info: 04 STi
I've owned 3 subarus and they all burned oil.
Old 01-02-2013, 12:19 AM

Car Info: 2011 WRX Sedan
Originally Posted by Heedz
Uhm be concerned with how it started. That's not a good sign.

I burned 1qt a change(3000 miles/2 months) on my last car given I don't also don't drive like a granny most of the time. A lot of blow by. When you checked the oil did you check it with the same temps? Like after running the car or..... at cold both times?

But as Rescuer said. Blinkerfluid or your tint glue may be off a bit.
I tend to check it after I let the engine warm up a little. Am I doing it le wrongz?

Originally Posted by Krinkov
First off, Jeff isnt a troll. Hes one of the Old Schoolers here and knows alot more about Subys than 90% of the people here. I know you're probably a bit frustrated but learn to take a joke okay?

That said, Im assuming you mean 1CM low on your oil dipstick? Well you should def check for a leak but even if you had a leak, that in of itself shouldn't have an effect on your performance. As long as you still have adequate oil pressure (oil light not on) being down a bit shouldn't have a noticeable change in performance.

did your oil light come on at any time??
1cm below the full mark before i left, it was hovering on low when I checked it last night. The oil light did not come on at any point.

Sarcasm and jokes can be easily missed on forums, (ala Heedz), perhaps the same can be said with Rescuer, but I have to say, I don't know anyone well enough on this board to catch it.
Old 01-02-2013, 12:23 AM

Car Info: MY00 GC6 BRP
When did you check your oil level? During a cold engine, or after you have already driven it and on a hot engine?

First off, Jeff isnt a troll. Hes one of the Old Schoolers here and knows alot more about Subys than 90% of the people here. I know you're probably a bit frustrated but learn to take a joke okay?
Its very dangerous to throw out assumptions like that Jeremy
Old 01-02-2013, 12:30 AM
Yeah, You've Probably Never Heard Of Me.

Car Info: 345/30/19s
Originally Posted by pho_shizzle

Its very dangerous to throw out assumptions like that Jeremy
ya well Jeff walks the line but hes still okay in my book
Old 01-02-2013, 12:31 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: .
ya well Jeff walks the line but hes still okay in my book
Old 01-02-2013, 12:33 AM

Car Info: 12Teens crazy 4 me
How many times do you check your oil?

It is possible the time you read full, was incorrect as the boxer engine is known to give incorrect oil readings due to the way the dipstick is entering the oil pan.
Old 01-02-2013, 12:40 AM
Yeah, You've Probably Never Heard Of Me.

Car Info: 345/30/19s
Originally Posted by theoutbackdream

It is possible the time you read full, was incorrect as the boxer engine is known to give incorrect oil readings due to the way the dipstick is entering the oil pan.
But like I was saying, regardless of his oil level, unless theres was a complete loss of oil pressure (oil light on) it should still drive normally and not behave the way hes describing. Your engine doesnt know if you have 1 quart or 100 quarts until it loses pressure.

that said, if its not leaking it its eating it, are you noticing alot of white smoke on acceleration?
Old 01-02-2013, 12:42 AM

Car Info: '02 PSM WRX
Originally Posted by Gancherov
LOL oil isn't optional dude. Why would you leave on a long trip knowing that you are at anything BUT full oil level? The "low" level mark on the dip stick isn't a target, its the end of the line. You cross that line, and you risk literally blowing up your motor. [b]A properly operating motor does not consume oil.[b/]
Where did he ever say that oil was optional? Did you know that oil at the full mark actually means you've slightly overfilled the motor? If you're always topping off your oil so you're at max, you're either burning a hellava lot of oil and need to give yourself that much leeway or you're hella paranoid.

A turbo motor will always have a little oil consumption. There will always be a tiny bit of oil on the turbo bearings that'll get into the intake system and get burned off during combustion, there can be little amounts that the piston rings can allow by as well. In fact, burning 1 quart per 1000 miles is considered fine by Subaru.

Anyway, back to w0ng3r, usually hesitating and sputtering is not from low oil, and even still you stated your oil level was still within tolerable limits. I know you said you drove home slowly, but did you happen to notice any loss of power? It really could have been something as simple as a bad tank of gas causing misfires and as you drove home your ECU corrected for it, hence it running better. Stalling at idle can also mean a vacuum leak, so while it's still a pretty new car, check for any hoses that seem to be loose or ripped.

To be honest, without knowing the history of your car none of us can tell you if it's "normal" or not. Since Subaru allows 1 quart/1k miles, and the difference between the full and low marks is ~1 quart, it technically is within Subaru's stated limits. However, does this mean it's not a cause for concern? No, but just keep your eye out for any leaks, for oil smell coming through your air vents, and on your dipstick levels to ensure it's not a repeat occurrence. A good habit is to check your oil level every gas fill up.

Oh, and I forgot. Check your oil on a flat surface on a cold motor. While the dipstick has a mark to read when hot, it's most accurate cold.
Old 01-02-2013, 01:09 AM

Originally Posted by theoutbackdream

at least 3 times, more if the readings seem incosistent.

are you noticing alot of white smoke on acceleration?

Originally Posted by STi-owns-evo

Anyway, back to w0ng3r, usually he

Oh, and I forgot. Check your oil on a flat surface on a cold motor. While the dipstick has a mark to read when hot, it's most accurate cold.
I've been checking it on a warm motor :facepalm:

No loss of power, and there was no white smoke on acceleration (normal or hard). No smoke on startup either, just the usual water vapor from when if it's cold outside.

I'll keep an eye on how the car feels over the next few days (provided I don't find any leaks in the morning), and bring it into the dealership if anything comes up, I guess!

Last edited by w0ng3r; 01-02-2013 at 01:12 AM.
Old 01-02-2013, 02:04 AM

Car Info: MY00 GC6 BRP
Originally Posted by w0ng3r
at least 3 times, more if the readings seem incosistent.

I've been checking it on a warm motor :facepalm:

No loss of power, and there was no white smoke on acceleration (normal or hard). No smoke on startup either, just the usual water vapor from when if it's cold outside.

I'll keep an eye on how the car feels over the next few days (provided I don't find any leaks in the morning), and bring it into the dealership if anything comes up, I guess!

And slap your self at least 3 times.
Old 01-02-2013, 02:05 AM

Originally Posted by pho_shizzle
And slap your self at least 3 times.
jokes on you! my girlfriend does that for me
Old 01-02-2013, 06:23 AM

Car Info: Fast
Run a thicker oil like a 5w40. I ran amsoil 5w30 and had some consumption as well. Oil analysis showed sheering, but not as bad as Mobile 1 5w30

Switched to Rotella and my consumption dropped 1/2 a quart per 4000 miles with no additional wear. There are better oils, but for a street car the T6 is a damn good oil for a good price
Old 01-02-2013, 08:29 AM
General Pimpin'

Car Info: MY04 aspen wrx wagon.
Originally Posted by Gancherov
LOL oil isn't optional dude. Why would you leave on a long trip knowing that you are at anything BUT full oil level? The "low" level mark on the dip stick isn't a target, its the end of the line. You cross that line, and you risk literally blowing up your motor. A properly operating motor does not consume oil.
Bull****.
Old 01-02-2013, 08:31 AM
General Pimpin'

Car Info: MY04 aspen wrx wagon.
But like I was saying, regardless of his oil level, unless theres was a complete loss of oil pressure (oil light on) it should still drive normally and not behave the way hes describing. Your engine doesnt know if you have 1 quart or 100 quarts until it loses pressure.

that said, if its not leaking it its eating it, are you noticing alot of white smoke on acceleration?
exactly.

What it sounded like to me was a loss of compression.
Old 01-02-2013, 09:03 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 05 WRX
Originally Posted by w0ng3r
jokes on you! my girlfriend does that for me
Nice lol

Sounds like you might just have been paranoid that your car wasn't running fine but it was really all in your head. If the oil light didn't come on you're probably good.

what is probably going on is that you are getting used to the power of your WRX so it doesn't raise your pulse like it used to, and you just need to invest heavily on modding it to get that feeling back.

www.gstmotorsports.com will be happy to resolve all of this for you

Quick Reply: Another n00b thread from w0ng3r